Yuan-ti (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Despite being the lowliest of their race, yuan-ti purebloods are still kickass snake-people.
Traditionally, the term "pureblood" has been applied as a mark of superiority over others. Not so for the yuan-ti. The most human-like of their race, purebloods are often scorned by other yuan-ti for their weak bloodline and lack of power.
Where they come from, yuan-ti purebloods are little better than fodder for the half-bloods and abominations to abuse as they please. As such, they are no strangers to discrimination and ridicule, and are often skilled in hiding their emotions from others. As such, they often come across as taciturn and reserved, rarely seeking the company of others.
Yuan-ti purebloods are very similar to humans in appearance, with certain serpentine traits including thin lips, narrow eyes with slitted pupils, and forked tongues. The pervasiveness of these traits varies between purebloods, but many that manage to survive outside their own territories appear almost indistinguishable from humans at a glance. When they speak, their tongues cause them to hiss in the fashion one would think appropriate for a snake.
Too snake-like for humans and too human for other yuan-ti, purebloods tend to sympathize with those of mixed heritage. Even so, as much as they loathe their fellow yuan-ti they also reserve some of their ire for those with no serpentine blood. As such, they are often haughty and holier-than-thou amongst other races whom they deem inferior.
Many yuan-ti purebloods come from the cities of their brethren, and so they typically share the neutral evil alignment of other yuan-ti. It is not uncommon, however, for purebloods to be disillusioned with the treatment they received at home and willing to reject the normal ethos of their race.
Yuan-ti usually live in secluded settlements from which they venture out to make war and spread the chaos that they continually emanate. It is rare for the yuan-ti to establish a domain of their own despite their ability to do so; many prefer to prey on the other inhabitants of whatever region in which they currently reside.
A serpentine fiend called Merrshaulk is revered as the creator of the yuan-ti. But as the underlings of their race, many purebloods mature as members of the cults of the dangerous yuan-ti anathema, the deadly multi-headed snake beasts that epitomize the evil nature of the yuan-ti. Those who are cast away from their kin, by their own will or not, rarely follow this pattern, but many still end up following deities representative of reptiles (snakes, in particular).
Purebloods speak the language of their race, Yuan-ti, which typically involves a great deal of hissing and rattling noises that require a forked tongue to execute. Many also learn Common in order to better blend into foreign areas, but the snake-like quality of their voices is unmistakable.
Yuan-ti names are simple and often taken from other races, but typically include frequent use of the letter 's'.
- Monstrous Humanoid
- Medium: As Medium creatures, yuan-ti purebloods gain no bonuses or penalties based on size.
- Yuan-ti base land speed is 30 feet.
- Alternate Form (Ex): A yuan-ti has the ability to transform into a viper at will as a swift action. In order to adopt the form, the yuan-ti must possess a number of Hit Dice equal to twice that of the viper. A transformed yuan-ti gains the Strength and Dexterity scores of the viper as well as its natural attacks, but retains its own Constitution, mental ability scores, and Hit Dice.
- Detect Poison (Ex): Yuan-ti purebloods are all capable of using detect poison as the spell at will.
- Parseltongue (Ex): A yuan-ti has the ability to constantly speak with animals at will, except it only applies to snakes. In addition, a yuan-ti has a +2 bonus on Bluff checks.
- Poison Immunity (Ex): As venomous creatures, yuan-ti have naturally strong immune systems and are immune to all poisons.
- Scent (Ex): A yuan-ti has the ability to detect other creatures through their scent.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Yuan-ti.
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Ignan, Infernal, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||75 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 8”||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Author||ThunderGod Cid +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||None +|
|Summary||Despite being the lowliest of their race, yuan-ti purebloods are still kickass snake-people. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|