Difference between revisions of "Bakka (3.5e Race)"
|Line 79:||Line 79:|
|specialtext3=At will as a free action the bakka may
|specialtext3=At will as a free action the bakka may its echolocation, granting itself blindsense out to 20 ft. This makes a noise which reduces Move Silently checks by -10. However at 5 HD their blindsense expands to 60 ft and they gain blindsight out to 5 ft while using echolocation, and the penalty drops to -5.
Revision as of 09:28, 19 September 2019
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Small bat people, they were originally gnomes who were transformed by a god to endure an apocalyptic event of old. They are often reclusive and cautious, accustomed to the safety of their caves but forced to expand back to the surface due to greater threats coming from below in the underdark.
Bakka are known to be reserved and slightly sullen. While they are capable of producing a great deal of noise, they work in the quiet and the dark, and simply being stealthy and subtle comes naturally to them. In addition their cave dwelling life kept them away from many on the outside and so they were stunted socially until out of need they were forced into the world at large. In spite of being outsiders in the social sense, they do not approach others with hostility so much as caution for themselves, for they are not the biggest or scariest beings out there. Ironically their monstrous natures and association with bats and the night have given them a more fearsome reputation than they otherwise deserve.
Bakka are humanoid bat creatures about the size of a gnome, with membranous wings on their arms, large chests, and stubby legs for the size of their bodies. They have upturned or short noses, short hair on their heads and sometimes arms and legs, and their heads are dominated by a large pair of ears which are very sensitive and mobile. Their ears twitch and move expressively, and Bakka language is a combination of ear placement, tone, and words. They are generally dark colored in deep earth tones, gray, black, purple, or dark blue skin. They are omnivorous but prefer fruits, and while they are capable of consuming blood it provides few nutrients and has fallen out of practice for appearing barbaric to other species. They are surprisingly heavy for a flying creature, but their bodies are more muscle than fat.
Bakka have no problems being hung at odd angles. While they do not generally hang off ceilings like a stereotypical bat, they are actually capable of doing so thanks to the presence of dewclaw at the back of their ankle. The claw can grasp rough surfaces and aids in climbing, and can naturally snap shut even when relaxed or sleeping.
In spite of appearing dissimilar, they have a genetic heritage shared with gnomes.
Being frightening looking with their upturned noses, sharp fangs, and demonic membranous wings as well as preferring the cover of night has not done the bakka any favors. Many see them with concern, and they shy away rather than confront troubles with others. However they continue to be forced into the world by events out of their control, and so some have made efforts to normalize themselves within society.
Bakka society trends to lawful neutrality, as not exploring or breaking the confines of the cave had until recently served them well.
Bakka had lived in the caves and to an extent the underdark, where they had harvested a number of bug and fungi related foodstuffs until recently. With incursions from stronger and scarier underdark creatures, they have retreated to the surface and have taken on raiding orchards and farmlands under cover of night.
Long ago it is said that the bakka were gnomes fleeing some unspecified destruction of the surface, an event which caused them to live in darkness and hide within caves, and needing to remain nimble and able to escape when possible. In these days they had revered a bat deity of the night named Jubatus who took mercy upon him, and transformed them into bat creatures so they may survive the long night ahead. None can confirm the details, and few know of Jubatus in this day and age, but the Bakka do often revere deities of the night, of darkness, of stealth and subterfuge, and of gods of the earth and harvest.
Bakka speak Common and Bakkanese, which is composed of powerful squeaks, ear movements, and expressive poses.
Bakka names are traditionally shrill and sharp, with lots of vowels. While the culture attempts to adapt with the greater society, this trend follows so even a name such as "Billy" might come out emphasizing the vowels such as "bil-LEEEEK!"
- +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Strong for their size, and awkward for their shape, they have keen senses hampered by poor social skills and generally unpleasant appearances.
- Humanoid (Anthro): Bakka are half humanoid half bat creatures.
- Small: As a Small creature, a bakka gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Bakka base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: A bakka can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a bakka can function just fine with no light at all.
- Audioreactive (Ex): Bakka are very sensitive to audio cues, and quick to protect their ears. They gain a +2 bonus on saves against being deafened, and grants them a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks.
- Claw Grip (Ex): Their claw grip allows them to grip surfaces well. Whenever they fail a Climb check, they are at no risk of falling on a failed check. In any round where they have not moved, they anchor in and gain a +4 stability bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). Their claw grip allows them to hold, but not wield, objects that would otherwise go in their hands.
- Echolocation (Ex): At will as a free action the bakka may toggle its echolocation, granting itself blindsense out to 20 ft. This makes a noise which reduces Move Silently checks by -10. However at 5 HD their blindsense expands to 60 ft and they gain blindsight out to 5 ft while using echolocation, and the penalty drops to -5.
- Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds bakka for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
- Flight (Ex): Bakka are capable of limited flight, but doing so uses their arms while they do so. They cannot attack or use somatic components with their occupied arms. At first they can only really glide, moving 40 ft (clumsy) while dropping 5 ft each move action. At 3 HD they can fly at a speed of 40 ft (clumsy) up to a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1) before resting a equal number of rounds, though they may glide while resting. At 6 HD, they can fly for as long as they want, and the maneuverability rises to poor. At 9 HD, the maneuverability rises again to average.
- Monstrous Body (Ex): The bakka's wings do not permit them to wear normal armor, though existing armor can be altered at +20% its base material cost for light armor, or +50% for medium and heavy armor. As a result, they favor lighter or no armor.
- Skills: Bakka gain a +4 racial bonus to Climb and Listen checks, and a +2 racial bonus on Tumble checks and Knowledge Dungeoneering. Knowledge Dungeoneering is always a class skill.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Bakkanese
- Bonus Languages: Auran, Draconic, Giant, Gnome, Terran, and Undercommon
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||100 years||150 years||+5d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 0"||+2d4||40 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 10"||+2d4||35 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Wisdom + and -2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Small bat people, they were originally gnomes who were transformed by a god to endure an apocalyptic event of old. +|