Dawn Plushie (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Plushies native to the realms of Dawn, these chaotic animated dolls are industrial savants born from volcanos and filled with primal curiosity. It is said that after creating the eijilundian plushies, Sol Eiji traveled the cosmos making experimentations on new construct designs, which Dawn Plushies are one of them. They are more stable then their original kin (for a given messure of "stable"), and possessed of fantastic wanderlust and surprising cleverness.
To most creatures, plushies seem incurably mad but it is merely a complicated and roundabout way of doing things. A plushie may set his mind on a goal, and perform a series of unrelated tasks which somehow in the end result in the fulfillment of its desires. Of course, it rarely is able to express this in any way non-plushies are able to understand, so it carries on with self-satisfaction, knowing alone what it is up to.
Compared to their Eijilundian kin, Dawn Plushies seem a tad more serious, for a given messure of seriousness. They are curious in all things and love exploring and inventing, and have become a forerunner of various magical and technological devices matched only by gnomes. When plushies manage enough cohesion to focus together, they can rapidly develop new and great things. On the other hand, dawn plushies are reckless and unwise, and par for course of your classic mad scientist they find the need to try things out overwhelming, even if the side effects may be high or dangerous.
Dawn plushies are animated dolls approximately 2' tall, and coming in various styles with the 'Eiji' model being most common. Because they are often literally mass produced, they are difficult to tell apart. Plushies do not seem to have any difficulty however, picking up on subtle clues, magical signatures, and other markings. Their bodies are partially mutable to allow for facial expressions and other actions where hard unyielding plastic eyes and sown mouths may not allow. Most lack true hands but their stubs acting as hands still manage to grapple onto things. This is an extraordinary force.
Dawn plushies reproduction differs from their Eijilundian kin. They form within magic-infused volcanos in crystaline eggs. The exact nature of how these eggs form is a bit of a mystery. Two plushies seem to perform magical rituals to summon these eggs into being within any active volcanic source. Once ejected they eventually hatch and are adopted by one or more plushies into a family. Dawn plushies are hatched with basic knowledge and language instincts, and with their rapid learning capability quickly settle into civilization.
Dawn plushies are curious, intrusive, but fairly benign. They spread everywhere they possibly can and involve themselves in all things, but are fairly non-hostile and often seek to benefit others. On the other hand, dawn plushies are also known to be secretive amongst themselves, communicating in their difficult cypher language Plushese, forming secret clubs and societies, and making other suspicious activities. Some suspect they have possibly malicious long term goals, but their racial wanderlust and chaotic natures seem to suggest otherwise.
Dawn plushies share close relations with their aquatic kin, the steamdolls. They often mingle, with steamdolls performing plushie interests under the sea.
Typically chaotic, they are prone to following whatever interests them at the time.
Dawn Plushies exist everywhere, having spread all over the world. The largest amount remain near their ancestrial home, a chain of volcanos around the equator of the realm of Dawn known as the Ring of Fire. Officially, plushie influence even spreads under the waves through their aquatic kin, the steamdolls.
Dawn Plushies worship their creator God-King Lord Eiji, who is indeed a plushie himself. The aforementioned king has a direct avatar who takes personal interest in the lives of the dawn plushies, though he primarily works as an advisor in modern times. For dawn plushies, there is no need for faith for their god walks on the earth. Every so often dawn plushies may worship other powers, typically beings of invention, fire, and chaos.
Common and Plushese. Plushese is actually Common, but the words seem nonsensical. Instead meaning is conveyed though vague metaphors and body signals, so "I need scissors, 61!" is a perfect way to ask how to pass the salt.
Dawn plushies adopt the names of their doll's model, generally, and are given serial numbers. The default plushie, modelled after Lord Eiji, is the Eiji Plushie who is named Eiji. While plushies seem to know the difference between all the various Eijis in the world, others tend to get confused. Since calling a plushie "Hey #45651" is cumbersome, they adopt nicknames when addressing other races.
- -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Dawn Plushies are stronger and tougher than more plushies, but are less agile. They retain their inherent charm and powerful spirits.
- Construct (Living Construct, Fire, Plushie): While they can be created, plushies have their own soul and free will. Fire is a part of their being. As such Plushies are immune to fire damage, but take double damage from cold. They are also effected by spells and abilities that affect Fire creatures, such as certain turning abilities.
- Small: As a small-sized creature, a plushie gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character. However, see below.
- Slight Build (Ex): The physical stature of plushies lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a plushie is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the plushie is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A plushie is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A plushie can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a plushie remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Plushie base land speed is 20 feet.
- Light Fortification (Ex): Lacking actual organs is a boon. A plushie has a 25% chance to negate a critical hit.
- Bouncy (Ex): A plushie takes half damage from falls.
- Geolocation (Ex): Dawn plushies are never lost, they always know where they are in relation to any landmark or place they have been before.
- Implausible Science (Ex): Dawn plushies lack the explosive abilities of their Eijilundian kin, replacing it instead with an amazing knack with making science out of the most implausible things. Dawn plushies can substitute any item for items of equal or greater value and somehow turn them into the items they need. This allows them to, for example, take 375g worth of coconuts, chewing gum, and bacon and make the needed craft check to turn it into a masterwork longbow. This also applies to spell components, spell focii, and holy symbols.
- Living Construct Traits (Ex): Unlike other constructs, plushies have a constitution score. As a living construct it does not gain bonus hit points by size, but rather through constitution as other living creatures. They do not have low-light vision, and are not immune to mind-influencing effects. They have an immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, sickening, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain. They cannot heal damage naturally, and take half benefit from positive energy cure spells. However they take full benefit from the repair series of spells. They are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death and necromancy effects. When reduced to 0 hit points, a living construct is disabled, just like a living creature, and when its hit points is less than 0 and greater than -10 it is inert. It is unconscious and helpless, but stable. They may be raised and ressurrected as normal, and have no need to eat, sleep, or breathe, though they may benefit from consumables. Though they do not need to sleep, they must still rest for 8 hours before preparing spells, as normal.
- Magical Lifeforce: Dispel magic and antimagic fields have a negative effect on plushies. When hit with any dispel magic, make a Will saving throw vs becoming fatigued (or exhausted if they were already fatigued). An antimagic field incurs a save vs exhaustion every round until they leave the area, and mage's disjunction becomes a save vs sleep. These effects bypass their usual immunities due to race. Plushies know the power magic cancellation has on them and fear it.
- Soggy When Wet: Whenever a plushie is immersed in water or otherwise soaked through, their speed is cut in half as long as they are in that environment and 1d4 hours afterward as they dry off. If there is some effect which dries them faster they may reduce this time.
- Dawn Plushies gain a +2 bonus on Craft checks.
- Spell-Like Ability: (1 + Cha modifier)/day—prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + plushie’s Cha modifier + spell level.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Plushese.
- Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Ignan, and Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Ranger or Sorcerer.
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||100 years||200 years||+N/A years*|
*In actuality plushies seem to be immortal. Old plushies simple vanish at whatever time they seem to become bored with the world. What happens to those plushies in uncertain, and the plushies are mute on the subject if they ever actually die.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Either||1' 0"||+3d6||5 lb.||× (x1d3) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Ranger + and Sorcerer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, -2 Wisdom + and +2 Charisma +|
|Rated By||The Dire Reverend +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Subtype||Fire + and Plushie +|
|Summary||Plushies native to the realms of Dawn, these chaotic animated dolls are industrial savants born from volcanos and filled with primal curiosity. +|
|Title||Dawn Plushie +|