Endoh (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
"Skeleton people" who aren't actually undead, or skeletons to be exact. Their origins are surrounded in mystery, for one day the entire population of endoh in the world appeared all at once in a strange city that did not exist previously. Most claim ignorance onto the nature of their beings, only that "in their memory they were always here in this city", but certainly one of them knows the truth. And some suspect, due to their alien "flesh" and strange appearance, the endoh are actually humanoids from an alternate reality. A reality whose physics work poorly with this one, resulting in their unusual appearance.
Of course if the alternate reality theory is true, did they come willingly? And if they did, why do they not return home?
Endoh come in maany personalities and behaviors, and are as varied as humans are. Some are serious, others jokers, some are good and others evil. However, all endoh suffer from one problem: they look like skeletons to everyone else. Most assume they are undead and treat them as such, so these "monsters" tend to be reclusive and cautious in their dealings with those they do not trust.
The endoh appear as human skeletons in many sizes and shapes, but the truth is that they are neither skeletons nor undead. By some strange biology, their flesh is entirely transparent, showing only their skeletons underneath and the occasional distortion effect of them moving their bodies to bend light just enough to make an impact. If one would touch an endoh, their hand would stop at a warm fleshy "force field" where their flesh actually is.
The endoh have a completely human biology beyond this strange quirk. Not even true seeing can divine the forms of the endoh's flesh. What is known is that their invisible blood turns red on exposure to air, resulting in a skeleton that can bleed and revealing it may not be what it seems.
Turns out most creatures are not cool with skeletons, especially sentient skeletons who act like humans. As a result, most keep to their own kind or among "monstrous" kin, who tolerate their presence even if they are confused for the undead. Often they even capitalize on the confusion, letting creatures wait turning or healing on them as if it would injure them.
An endoh is capable of any alignment.
The endoh all arrived at once from a strange alien city known as Bonemeal, which appeared in a remote patch of land in the valley of great mountains. From there they spread, keeping secret their homeland and integrating with the lands of others.
The endoh do not have a unified religion, and some are simply non-religious. They have the same religious leanins as your typical human.
Endoh speak Common.
Endoh have varied names, even among their kind, indicating they arrived from many separate cultures and nations of their own.
- Humanoid (Human): As if evidence to the theory they are from another reality, endoh actually count as humans.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an endoh has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Endoh base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: An endoh can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and an endoh can function just fine with no light at all.
- Dimensional Mastery (Ex): The endoh seem unusually talented in the field of displacement and dimension shifting. Whenever benefiting from a miss chance, their miss chance rises by +10% (maximum 60%). Any teleportation effects they cast are done at +1 CL, and any effects which would forcefully teleport them (such as plane shift offers two saving throws to resist, or a single Will save to resist if it otherwise lacks a save.
- Pseudo-Skeleton (Ex): Endoh are often confused with skeletons, and gain a +10 bonus on Disguise checks to appear as one. It's so convincing that mindless undead automatically assume they are one of them, and are not inherently hostile unless commanded or attacked.
- Transparent Flesh (Ex): In spite of appearances, endoh do have flesh though it is invisible. Flour, dust, and other substances which cover the flesh vanish instantly, though clothing remains visible. Their own blood however does show up as it turns red on contact with the air. The lack of visible skin does nothing to make them weaker or stronger to the effects of light.
- Skills: Endoh have Knowledge The Planes and Knowledge Religion as class skills, and gain a +2 racial bonus on these checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4'10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4'5"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|