The white-tailed harpies are a specie of lesser harpies with a relatively human appearance and gentler demeanor. They do not prey on humanoids, instead preferring small animals, making them much friendlier toward their neighbours. The white-tailed harpies look much like a human, except with wings instead of their arms and talons instead of their legs. Their feathers and talons usually resemble those of tropical birds or owls, and their tail feathers tend to be white. Female of the species tend to have grey, white or black plumage while the male have very colorful feathers.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom: White-tailed harpies are agile and perceptive, however they are weaker than most creatures of their size.
- Humanoid: White-tailed harpies pay the non-humanoid cost for fitted armor. They have wings in place of arms and their feet form clawed hands. They can wear magical rings and bracers on their feet and legs. Magical gloves and boots occupy the same slot.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a white-tailed harpies has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- White-tailed Harpies base land speed is 30 feet. A white-tailed harpy has a limited fly speed (see Wings).
- Low-Light Vision: A white-tailed harpies can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- A white-tailed harpy gains a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Perform (Singing) and Spot.
- Gliding (Ex): White-tailed harpies can use their wings to glide. A harpy can still glide or fly while encumbered, but her speed is reduced. She descends 1 foot for every 5 feet of horizontal distance traveled. If a harpy becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair and begins falling, her wings unfurl and hold in their gliding position. The harpy descends in a fluttering spiral and takes only 1d6 falling damage, no matter the actual falling distance.
- Keen Predator (Ex): A white-tailed harpy gains a +2 bonus to hit creatures whose size is small or smaller. She only take a -1 penalty on Spot checks per 20 feet of distance and when making a Spot checks she ignores the bonus to Hide granted by size of small or smaller creature.
- Sharp Talons (Ex): A white-tailed harpy has a pair of talons that she can use as well as hands for the purpose of manipulating objects, but cannot wield weapons in them. She may uses her talons as a two-handed Feral Strike, dealing 2d4 piercing and slashing damages with a 19-20/x2 critical threat. When she delivers precision damage (such as sneak attack) with her talons, a white-tailed harpy deals an additional amount of damage equal to her character level. A white-tailed harpy may use her talons ina grapple as if they were light weapons.
- Wings (Ex): A white-tailed harpy lacks proper arms, instead having a pair of wings where her arms would be. This does not affect her magic item slots. A white-tailed harpy possesses flight, allowing her to fly at a speed of 40 ft. with poor maneuverability. She can fly for 1 consecutive round +1 additional round per point of Constitution bonus she has, after which she must rest for 2 rounds for each round of flight. Since their flight is unstable, a white-tailed harpy takes a -4 penalty on all ranged attacks while flying. At 6 HDs she can fly indefinitely and no longer take a penalty on ranged attack while flying.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Table: White-Tailed Harpy Random Starting Ages
| 15 years
Table: White-Tailed Harpy Aging Effects
| Middle Age1
|| Maximum Age
| 35 years
|| 53 years
|| 70 years
|| +2d20 years
Table: White-Tailed Harpy Random Height and Weight
|| Base Height
|| Height Modifier
|| Base Weight
|| Weight Modifier
|| 4’ 10”
|| 120 lb.
|| × (2d4) lb.
|| 4’ 5”
|| 85 lb.
|| × (2d4) lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
Leziad's Homebrew (4066 Articles)