Kitsune (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Fox spirits known both both as good omens and tricksters, malicious demons and kindly souls. The number of tails they possess is an indication of their power. It is said that a nature goddess of the sky and rice harvests created them as her subjects, and to act as a medium between the natural and human worlds. At some point in their history, their behaviors split, some continuing to work as signs of divine fortune and knowledge while others became feared tricksters who abused their powers. Identical in appearance, it has given kitsunes a very ambiguous reputation which mirrors that of the seele and unseele.
Kitsunes begin play with only one tail, but by taking levels in Kitsune Paragon Class, they can obtain all nine tails if they desire.
Kitsunes come in two flavors, the zenko who are benevolent spirits and the yako who are devilish tricksters. The zenko are known to be loyal and dedicated, wardens against the forces of evil and safekeepers of holy ground. Meanwhile, yako are scoundrels and free spirits, using those they come across and doing what they may, or engaging in downright villanous behavior. Yako tend to focus more on destructive arts, while the zenko focus on defensive arts.
Both forms of kitsunes have the same appearance; a fox with one or more tails, up to a nine-tailed fox. Nine-tailed foxes often have their fur changed to brilliant white, night black, or shining gold. Yet while their base form is that of a fox, they are rarely ever found in such a state. Due to their shapeshifting powers, they can and often do take the form of any number of small or medium humanoids, sometimes with vulpine traits such as a "fox face", fangs, actual fox ears, or an actual fox tail.
Kitsune are surprisingly social with most humanoids, but even the zenko tend to keep the truth of their nature secret. Regardless of how they use it, all kitsunes are masters of deception and use it to its fullest. When exposed for what they are, they are often shy and creep back into their forest homes, using their humanoid masks as cover and public face.
More benevolent kitsunes have been known to fall in love with humanoids from the places they protect or visit. Even in this state, they often try to keep up the facade, though often the secret eventually gets out. It has been the source of many an old legend — the mystery woman who is not who she claims to be, but remains loyal all the same.
Zenko kitsunes are often lawful good, while yako kitsunes are often chaotic neutral or chaotic evil. Unusually for fey, kitsunes tend to adopt extreme alignments easily.
Kitsunes live in fey-heavy forests, nearby humanoid communities where they can beguile and confuse them. Regardless of motive, it is common for kitsunes to appear and sink into other cultures.
Kitsunes worship gods and goddesses of nature, and trickster gods of illusion and enchantment. Zenko kitsunes are very religious, while yako kitsunes often shun religion.
Kitsunes speak Common and Sylvan.
Kitsunes have a very oriental pattern to names, as they originate from the lands of the east. Male kitsune names are Fusui, Keton, Koan, Maitreya, and Munechika. Female kitsune names are Dakiniten, Huli-jing, Inari, Koi, and Kumiho.
- −2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, −2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: Neither strong nor tough, kitsunes need not be, for they can get out of situations with their nimble moves and social charms.
- Fey (Shapechanger): While they may appear as animals, kitsune are spirits of the forest and are considered fey.
- Small: As a Small creature, a Kitsune gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Kitsune base land speed is 40 feet. However, if they use their Change Shape ability, they adopt the movement speed of the duplicated race.
- Low-Light Vision: A kitsune can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Kitsunes have a primary natural bite attack which deals 1d4 + Strength and a half in damage.
- Animal Body (Ex): The base form of the kitsune is not human-shaped, but fox-shaped. As such, they have no hands to manipulate items (though they have hand and arm slots as normal), are quadrapedal, and require barding instead of normal armor. When they use their change shape ability, any magical gear which they are wearing reshapes to fit their new form and they can use and wield items appropriate for their form. As a quadraped, they have stability, granting them a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Change Shape (Su): Kitsunes have the ability to turn into any small or medium humanoid as if using the alter self spell, except the duration is unlimited. When in a different form, they assume the base land speed of the race, and can use items and weapons with their newfound hands. Many kitsunes assume humanoid form all the time. Caster level is equal to hit dice.
- Scent (Ex): Kitsunes have the scent ability.
- Spell-Like Ability (Sp): silent image -Cha modifier/day (minimum 1). Caster level is equal to character level.
- Kitsunes possess a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, and Move Silently checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan.
- Bonus Languages: Any (except Druidic).
- Favored Class: BeguilerPHB2 or Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|32 years||50 years||65 years||+65+3d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d8||100 lbs lb.||× (5) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d8||85 lbs lb.||× (5) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Sorcerer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Dexterity +, −2 Strength +, −2 Constitution + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Fox spirits known both both as good omens and tricksters, malicious demons and kindly souls. The number of tails they possess is an indication of their power. +|