Lobster (3.5e Race)
Can't get enough playable lobster action? Check Nephropid (3.5e Race) for more lobster character options.
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Lobster are lobster and speech smart. Lobster understanding you, also for wondering why Common you speech so poorly. Lobster not pity, be friend pal mate with lobster. Together scuttle, eat off ground, slap antennae, display claw! Big claw mighty friend!
Lobster are very personality. Lobsterality.
Lobsters are a varied lot, but the great majority of them are friendly and laid back with a hint of curiosity. Generally this means that they'd like to touch others with their antennae and ask questions. As they're slow scavengers, they don't see their forward behavior as aggressive and may get into an uncomfortable range of other creatures.
Lobster appear like prawn, bigger, or crab, but tail, or shrimp, but not always swim, or crawfish, but ocean, or scorpion, but tail flat no sting.
Lobsters look like lobsters. They're segmented chitinous-shelled creatures that scuttle about on eight legs, though the front two legs are often used to hold objects within their small claws. They have a pair of larger claws as their front limbs often used as weapons. Their eyes are small and black and extend from a pair of eye-stalks at the front of their head along with several pairs of antennae. A long, flat tail extends out the back of their body which ends in a flat, segmented paddle-like appendage that allows them to retreat from threats and aids in swimming.
Lobsters are just over six feet long and weigh around 180 pounds, with the males being longer and weightier than the females. A male's claws are often larger than their female counterparts, though aren't necessarily more threatening. Males pride themselves on their large claws.
Lobsters come in a variety of shell colors and textures depending on their home region and subrace. Most lobsters are a dark rusty brown color, though some have highlights of blue, red, orange and other colors. Sandcrawler lobsters are a lighter shade of dull, rusty brown. Trench lobsters are white or ivory and occasionally possess a shaggy, fur-like covering on their shells.
Many lobsters carry their possessions in pouches under their tails, held by the tiny limbs that line them. Females also keep their eggs there while they wait for them to hatch.
Lobster can friend. Unsure why walking ape want to eat lobster. Lobster think everything ocean taste better not land food.
Lobsters have a difficult time getting along with humanoids, as the two creatures are so vastly different… and many humanoids would rather just eat a lobster than try and bother making friends. Those that can get past the looks and occasional communication problem can easily make friends with lobsters.
Lobster be what lobster choose want.
Lobsters have varied personalities and may be of any alignment, though living in the wild with few cares has given them to be mostly neutral.
Lobster live in water usually. Some lobster like cold deep, other make sweet fresh home. Some lobster live in air on land or in tree, maybe on rock. Quiet home with food relax. Sit chew fish, maybe snail have also. Crack shell on hard nut taste welcome for also, sweet fruits.
Many lobsters find oceanic homes suitable. They prefer areas away from other cultures as to not interfere with their routines. Lobsters typically congregate in lagoons or on deepwater outcroppings where currents bring food. Trench lobsters prefer deepwater vents where food is plentiful, though occasionally even they can be found near the surface in underwater cave systems. Sandscrawler lobsters prefer beaches and tropical or sub-tropical forests and jungles where they can scavenge for nuts, fruit and creatures trapped in tidal pools. A few lobsters take to living in inland lakes and rivers as their home, though almost never in temperate or colder regions, unless they migrate. Areas of muddy or cloudy water (such as some rivers and brackish areas) force lobsters to rely on their antennae to navigate.
Lobster not need of distant big help love. Lobster capable, deal with own problems life. Maybe okay, little help love.
Most lobsters don't find a need to follow a religion, being rather self sufficient. However, in times of need or bad luck, lobsters have been known to call upon the aid of deities, particularly those with water and sea portfolios, though occasionally those deities with insectile, magical beast or vermin portfolios with whom they can relate easier.
Lobster talk Aquan and Common well. Sit have talk. Having nice water, yes very?
Lobsters speak Aquan as a first language. Lobsters also speak Common, but their ability to communicate properly with it often causes a bit of a cultural divide among them and humanoid races.
Lobster not bother name come up make. Lobster find take name for use. Work well lobster, like.
Lobsters borrow names from other languages and cultures. They often don't know what these names mean and generally don't care. This can lead to lobsters have names that aren't intended to function as names, such as verbs and adjectives.
- -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution: Lobster has sturdy chitin but slow.
- Magical Beast (Aquatic): Lobster like animal, which magic, have gill for to breath water. Lobsters pay the non-humanoid cost for armor.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a lobster has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Lobster base land speed is 20 feet. Swim 20 feet. A lobster gains a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks and can always take 10 on such checks.
- Darkvision: A lobster can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a lobster can function just fine with no light at all.
- Amphibious (Ex): A lobster can breathe both air and water with its specialized gill plates.
- Clawgrip (Ex): Lobster clack clack. A lobster wields weapons as if he were a size smaller in a secondary set of gripping claws. A lobster's main claws function as masterwork light weapons in which he has proficiency with and may be enchanted. These claws deal 1d6 piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage with triple damage on a critical hit. A lobster gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat.
- Decapod (Ex): Many legs hold ground, hold prey also good. A lobster has stability and gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). Additionally, a lobster gains the Improved Grapple feat as a bonus feat.
- Flicktail (Ex): Flick tail, scoot back flee. Woop woop woop! A lobster, when in water, may move up to quadruple its movement as part of a withdraw action (or double its movement as part of a restricted withdraw).
- Feelertouch (Ex): Antennae touch, know around. A lobster has tremorsense that extends into squares adjacent to it.
- Magicshell (Su): Hard, strong good. Not as outside inside walking ape. A lobster's shell can be enchanted as though it were armor. For every point of magical enhancement (and every special armor ability that has a cost measured in enhancement value), the lobster gains a point of mundane armor bonus, up to +10.
- Automatic Languages: Aquan and Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Sandcrawler: The sandcrawler lobster subrace has adapted for a more terrestrial lifestyle. Make the following changes to the standard lobster traits above to create a sandcrawler lobster:
- Speed: A sandcrawler lobster loses its Swim speed and gains a Climb speed (20 feet) instead. The +8 racial bonus to Swim changes to a +8 racial bonus to Climb.
- Flicktail: A sandcrawler loses this ability.
- Examine Ground: A sandcrawler gains the Track feat as a bonus feat. Survival is a class skill for all his classes.
Trench: The trench lobster subrace has adapted for a deep-sea lifestyle. Make the following changes to the standard lobster traits above to create a trench lobster:
- Darkvision: A trench lobster's darkvision extends to 120 feet.
- Feelertouch: A trench lobster's tremorsense extends out to 30 feet.
- Light Sensitivity: A trench lobster is dazzled in illumination brighter than dim illumination, such as by sunlight or a daylight spell.
- Undercommon: A trench lobster speaks Undercommon instead of Common.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||100 years||150 years||+2d10 years|
|Sex||Base Length||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 3"||+2d8+1||150 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 0"||+2d8||130 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|