Master Assassin (3.5e Prestige Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|“||I can take your life in a second.||”|
|—Tarik Molsa, Human Master Assassin|
Master Assassins are extremely good at killing people -- that's kind of the point. They sacrifice some Rogue abilities like Trap Sense, the Special Ability, and the massive skill points in order to become more laterally-expanded killers.
Becoming a Master Assassin
|Skills:||Hide 14 Ranks, Move Silently 14 Ranks.|
|Feats:||Weapon Finesse or Stealthy.|
|Class Feature:||Sneak Attack 3d6.|
|Special:||Must have traveled the world and gathered knowledge of assassination.|
|2nd||+1||+0||+3||+0||Assassin Trick, Sneak Attack +1d6|
|4th||+3||+1||+4||+1||Assassin Trick, Sneak Attack +2d6|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level)
Master Assassins gain powerful abilities named assassin tricks, things they learned during their worldly travel. Since all cultures produce assassins, they may learn exotic tricks or simply become keener with what they already know thanks to their years of practice. All of the following are class features of the Master Assassin.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Master Assassins gain proficiency with Assassin Needles.
Assassin Style: At first level, the Master Assassin may choose his style. He must choose one of the following styles:
- Magical Assassin: Whenever the Master Assassin gains a level in this class, he gains new spells per day and spells known as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class he belonged to before Master Assassin.
- Stealthy Extraordinaire: Your opponents count as flat-footed whenever you attack them.
- Sublime Murderer: Each time the Master Assassin gains a level in this class, his maneuvers, initiator level, etc. progress as if he took a level in a martial class he was part of before.
- Poisonous Traitor: Pick 4 poisons. You may manufacture one dose of any of these these poisons per day per Master Assassin level by expending a healer's kit (making them in this manner takes 1 hour per dose). The save DCs of these poisons change to 10 + (Int modifier. You also gain immunity to poison. Poisons made in this fashion decay to uselessness in a week. ½ character level) + your
Assassin Tricks: At all levels except first, the Master Assassin may choose one Assassin Trick. All Assassin Tricks are extraordinary abilities unless noted otherwise.
- Bloodless Killer: The Master Assassin with this trick may, without penalty, inflict non-lethal damage whenever he would inflict lethal damage.
- Bonus Languages: The Master Assassin learns take 1 additional languages per class level. They learn a new language every time they level up in this class.
- Critical Penetration: Choose one type: Ooze, Elemental, Construct or Undead. The Master Assassin may ignore critical hit and sneak attack immunity of any creature of the chosen type.
- Critical Strike: When the Master Assassin scores a critical hit, he may add Sneak Attack damage to the attack even if the attack would not otherwise qualify for the bonus.
- Death Attack: As the Assassin ability.
- Hampering Strike: If the Master Assassin succeeds with a Sneak Attack, he may forego all damage that attack to bind the enemy in place until his next turn. Effectively, an enemy under this effect has all their movement modes reduced to 0.
- Immolating Strike: With special oils or a perfect technique, a Master Assassin may inflict extra fire damage with Sneak Attack. The target is dealt 2 extra fire damage per sneak attack die. Additionally the target must make a reflex save (DC 10 + Dex modifier) or catch on fire. ½ character level + the Master Assassin's
- Mask Existence: The Master Assassin is now partially immune to divination spells. Anyone attempting to scry, detect, or affect him with any divination related effect must first pass a Caster Level check, DC 10 + his ranks in Hide. Regardless of success or failure, the Master Assassin automatically knows when a divination attempt has been made on his person.
- Right Place, Right Time: Whenever a Master Assassin attacks someone, he may add his Intelligence modifier to the damage. This damage is multiplied on a critical hit.
Playing a Master Assassin
Combat: Master Assassins do the same thing in combat that Rogues do.
Advancement: Typically, Master Assassins will continue taking levels in Rogue or Rogue-related prestige classes when they run out of Master Assassin levels.
Resources: Typically, Master Assassins are loners. However, depending on the campaign, they might be part of an assassin's guild. If so, they can expect assistance from their guild.
Master Assassination in the World
Assassins are a standard part of any fantasy setting, and the Master Assassin can fill that role with ease.
NPC Reactions: If an NPC realizes that a Master Assassin is, in fact, a Master Assassin, they will probably react with fear. They first have to realize it, though. It's not like they wear nametags.
Master Assassin Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Dungeoneering) can research Master Assassins to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|11||Master assassins are experienced killers.|
|16||Master assassins travel the world in search of new assassination technique.|
|21||Master assassins give up the more broad skills of the rogue for combat-related abilities.|
|26||Each master assassin has a unique tool of the trade.|
Master Assassin in the Game
The idea with the Master Assassin PrC is that any Rogue who wanted to specialize a little bit could become one.
Adaptation: Master Assassin can be adapted very easily. Maybe there is an assassin's guild, maybe they're just guys who are good at killing. Whatever; it's not campaign specific.
|Article Balance||Very High +|
|Author||Leziad + and Surgo +|
|Identifier||3.5e Prestige Class +|
|Minimum Level||11 +|
|Summary||A Master of assassination, they travel the world in search for new and exotic ways to commit murder and get paid for it. +|
|Title||Master Assassin +|