Nagual (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Servants of a forgotten nature deity in the Outlands, the nagual are sent to the material plane to pose as a creature's familiar and guide them from their current path to one closer to neutrality and the will of nature. By tempering the zealous souls of the extreme alignments, neutrality becomes stronger. They are sometimes known as transformation witches.
The nagual are beings of nature and typically get along well with all things natural in the world. And yet they are also schemers and tricksters, both in their divine mission and in their abilities. For when one has the power to become an animal one can fool many a person. It is said that the nagual pick up personality quirks from their animal, resulting in craven rat-nagual, flighty bird-nagual, and all sorts of others.
Nagual are short humanoid creatures similar to halflings or the stereotypical "pygmy", with small subtle animal features according to their animal type (such as feathers, cat ears, a tail, or patches of fur). They have sharp pointed ears and limbs slightly long for their body, and skin colors trend from tan and bronze to an unnatural pitch black. They are native outsiders, as they were originally creates as scouts and saboteurs of the nature god whose existence is now lost to time, but the race itself breeds true. Even so, fewer and fewer nagual have been created over time resulting in some believing the god's power is waning or even perished.
Creatures don't known the nagual are there, usually, and those that do often have reason to see them with mistrust. They are tricky and clever and often have an agenda, and you can never trust when an animal of their kind is about. For that reason most nagual simply claim to be halflings, it causes much less questions.
Most nagual are true neutral, but as the god's power wanes so too wanes the control of the nagual and some have found to have adopted other alignments to their own.
Nagual do not have a land, for they are too few and two widespread. Few even remember the mission they were originally tasked to do. In some communities they became known as transformation witches and taken up the role of shamans or witch doctors, while others presume them to be a form of lycanthrope and are hunted on sight.
Nagual used to follow the will of an unnamed nature god, a god whose name and existence is lost to time. Now few follow him, choosing vague worship of nature or even nothing at all.
Nagual speak Common and Sylvan.
Nagual usually adopt nicknames, especially if one is pretending to be a familiar. Their original names seem to be simply descriptions of what they are: Crow, Cat, Rabbit, and so forth.
- -2 Strength, +2 Wisdom: Small and perceptive, nagual aren't the strongest of beings but are certainly able to survive through wit and wisdom.
- Outsider (Native, Shapechanger): Nagual were created as shapechanging scouts on the material plane.
- Small: As a Small creature, a nagual gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Nagual base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: A nagual can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a nagual can function just fine with no light at all.
- Animal Form (Su): Choose an creature suitable as a 1st level familiar. You gain the ability to transform into this creature at will, as if using wildshape. However they do not heal themselves upon transformation. If your chosen form possesses flight, you instead gain a hover speed equal to their fly speed until they reach 5 HD, in which they gain their normal flight speed. When you become 4 HD, you can transform as a move action, at 8 HD as a swift action, and at 12 HD as a free action.
- Animal Skill Bonus (Ex): You gain the special ability of the familiar you have chosen, such as +3 Climb checks as a lizard or +2 Reflex saves as a weasel.
- Emulate Alignment (Ex): Nagual were requires to act in the service of both high celestial wizards and the most vile demonic warlocks. They are treated as having all alignments and alignment subtypes, allowing them to qualify for evil feats, detect as lawful, and do other alignment things without restriction. In fact it is an ability they can't turn off, and as a result they also take all the penalties as well such as being struck by smite evil, taking negative levels from an unholy sword, or being subject to the worse aspects of spells which differ with alignment.
- False Bond (Ex): A nagual can form a false bond with a willing creature over 24 hours, mimicking a familiar's bond. With the false bond, the bonded creature can use Share Spells, Empathic Link, Deliver Touch Spells, and Speak with Master abilities of a familiar as appropriate for the creature's level. They do not benefit from any other familiar features, nor are they actually familiars for any purpose. Naguals use this to trick others into believing they have successfully conjured a familiar. Only one false bond may exist at a time, and it is broken on death (dealing 2d10 damage to master and the nagual) or in a 24 hour ritual.
- Skills (Ex): Nagual always treat Bluff as a class skill.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will- speak with animals (animals of their type only, such as feline, avian, or canine).
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Infernal.
- Favored Class: Druid
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||75 years||100 years||+5d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 8"||+2d4||30 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 6"||+2d4||25 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Druid +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Subtype||Native, Shapechanger +|
|Summary||Servants of a forgotten nature deity in th … |
Servants of a forgotten nature deity in the Outlands, the nagual are sent to the material plane to pose as a creature's familiar and guide them from their current path to one closer to neutrality and the will of nature. By tempering the zealous souls of the extreme alignments, neutrality becomes stronger. They are sometimes known as transformation witches.sometimes known as transformation witches. +