Orc (3.5e Race)
- This article is about the homebrew Orc race. You may be looking for the SRD:Orcs (Race).
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|“||We shall drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orc.||”|
The orc race survives in a vicious cycle of Malthusian principles. While their population continues to grow exponentially, their territory, food, and other resources can only appreciate linearly (if they increase at all). Huge breeding numbers, fast maturation time, and a massive gender disparity cause the orcs to forcibly kick out their adolescent (but still battle-ready) males at age eleven. This rite of passage involves surviving outside orc territory for a period of five years before being allowed re-entry. During this time, the older orcs still within the established settlement will actively treat the castaways as enemies, providing incentive for them to get as far away from orc-held territory as possible. Many of those forced out band together to form the crux of the common outsiders' experience of the orc race: raiding parties. Threatening enough to harass the fringes of society (and generally be a nuisance) but not enough to break a legitimate defense, for most eons the orcs remain scattered and direction-less.
But this is not always so. Every few generations sees the rise of a massive orc army and the declaration of war against their many enemies in a bid for a massive land grab. This always ends catastrophically for the orcs involved, decimating their population and temporarily reducing their numbers to acceptable levels. And because their most competent leaders and thinkers are slain during this crusade, the orcs never progress as a people, dooming them to repeat history over and over again. Understandably not content with with this status quo, some orcs quit their lands and integrate into other civilizations, not drawing too much suspicion when encountered away from the company of their fellows.
For all intents and purposes, this orc race can replace the SRD half-orc race. If you want to play an orc, you may as well go all the way.
- +2 Strength
- Humanoid (Orc)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Orc has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Orc base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: An orc can see in the dark up to 120 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and an orc can function just fine with no light at all.
- Rage (Ex): An orc can enter a rage, which is functionally identical to that of a 1st level barbarian. No additional barbarian class features are gained by this ability, but if the game is using the SRD barbarian this allows the orc an extra rage per day.
- Orcs are automatically proficient with either the battleaxe or the greataxe; which of these they have proficiency in is up to the particular orc.
- +2 bonus on Intimidate checks
- Automatic Languages: Orcish.
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Common, Goblin, Infernal, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Author||ThunderGod Cid +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +|
|Rated By||Ganteka Future +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||For all intents and purposes, this orc race can replace the SRD half-orc race. If you want to play an orc, you may as well go all the way. +|