Thin One (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Tales tell of alien abductions and mysterious workers with suspicious and unnatural behavior. These are typically vivid dreams or drunken benders, and simply professional and intimidating government workers. But sometimes there is truth in these stories... The "Thin One" is a human of alien origin. They seem almost entirely human but there's something wrong about them. Something not of this world.
Thin ones are known for being serious and stoic by and large, and seemingly very detached from events around them. It may stem from simply poor social skills, but some may claim that they and their kin all work for secret entities from afar and that they are there to observe and watch. Only the thin ones know, and few will talk about the matter.
Their stand-offish personality at least goes far in not causing too much trouble, save for those who suspect them. And their professional manner of acting does put them well off with those of like mind.
Thin ones are humans who trend towards a tall, gaunt appearance. Their hair is short and well groomed, their eyes are curiously small and beady, and they have small thin mouths with small lips. Everything about them seems a bit too perfect, no moles or marks, no fat or deformities (save for the somewhat too small eyes), a perfection which often triggers the uncanny valley in other humans. Their eyes are off as well, and some have described them as almost reptilian in appearance. The thin ones are all too aware of this, and many wear shades to cover the one inhuman feature they possess.
How thin ones are created is a mystery. No child thin ones are ever seen, and it is rumored that they are made, not born. Some say they are created in vats on alien worlds, while others claim they kidnap humans and convert them into thin ones. The truth will never be known, and the knowledge of lost to the thin ones themselves, nor do they care.
The term "thin one" is a moniker. For the thin one, as far as it is considered they are human.
Thin ones are found in human societies taking a passive but influential role on the world. Those in authority often fine thin ones useful, while others find them troubling and unwelcome. But because they are in positions of power, few can do a thing about it and the thin ones do not actively rock the boat.
Thin ones trend towards lawful alignments, largely due to their typical association with authority.
Thin ones exist in human lands, and for all purposes they consider themselves human.
Thin ones do not seem to ascribe to any religion and by and large seem to have a strong trend towards non-religious activities.
Thin ones speak Common.
Thin ones have human names, typically as generic sounding as they come.
- -2 Constitution: The bodies of thin ones are surprisingly frail. This doesn't seem to stop them when they engage in a chase.
- Humanoid (Human, Psionic, Xenoblooded): Thin ones are humans with the xenoblooded subtype due to their alien origins, but they are still ultimately human.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a thin one has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Thin One base land speed is 30 feet.
- Bonus Skill: Thin ones get an extra skill point per level like a human.
- Death Throes (Ex): On death the thin one's toxic body erupts into a 10 ft radius cloud of biohazardous material. It is an inhaled poison, DC 12 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier. 1d8 Con/1d8 Con. The cloud remains for 10 minutes after death and provides 20% concealment. A thin one can choose not to activate death throes if they wish.
- Flexible Body (Ex): Thin ones move in an unnatural way. They gain a +4 racial bonus on Escape artist checks, and a +1 dodge bonus from their nimble frames. They count as one size smaller than normal, but only for squeezing through a tight space.
- Messenger (Sp): Thin ones seem to be able to say a lot with merely a nod and a mutter. They gain message as a spell-like ability at will.
- Naturally Psionic: Thin ones gain 3 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Not Quite Human (Ex): Although the thin ones are the humanoid subtype, they can choose to also count as aberrations when beneficial (such as if charm person affects them). However favored enemy (and similar abilities such as Bane) trigger as if they were aberrations, beneficial or not.
- Toxic Biology (Ex): Thin one's biology is different from normal humans, usually manifesting as an unusual diet choice on behalf of the thin one. This renders their body toxic. If their flesh is ingested (such as through a bite attack) the creature is exposed to the poison of its death throes ability, at a decreased potency (1d4 Con/1d4 Con).
- Skills: Thin ones have a +4 bonus on Intimidate and Sense Motive checks, and both skills are class skills. This bonus is doubled against humans.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 2"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|