Vaelza (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A race of Humanoid Slime Lifeforms from A Super-Earth covered in water, A Planet called Xeqrai
Far away in the vast expanses of space floats the Planet Xeqrai. A Super Earth that is the crown jewel of its solar system. With over 70% of the surface covered in a vast ocean that spans miles deep, there is only one solid yet massive landmass that blemishes the nigh-perfect blue marble of the system. If you were to pass by this planet, on the surface you would not think very much of the place, aside from its beauty and over abundance of resources. Dive beneath the ocean’s wave, however, and venture into the deep. There you would find vast underwater city that shine like gemstones against the seafloor. Gleaming with advanced technology and full of life that surrounds them, this is the home of the Vaelza. A race of Amorphous Non-Newtonian Lifeforms that can alter their bodies and will and use their intelligence and natural abilities to live in harmony with the world around them.
The Vaelza are a curious and peaceful lot. They see any problem in life as a puzzle to be solved and a mystery to learn from. They do not shy away from challenges and will openly seek to settle disputes in a calm and logical manner. Their minds are living contradictions, much like water itself. They can be as calm as a still pool or as fierce and unrelenting as a tsunami headed to shore in their convictions. Nothing matters to them more than the pursuit of knowledge and the happiness of thier hearth and home, where loved ones dwell. They are also very curious and appreciative of other cultures, loving to walk in another's shoes using their natural shapeshifting abilities. As such, the Vaelza will very happily learn from another, as variety is the spice of life itself.
Vaelza have a seemingly humanoid body which seems to be made of a Non-Newtonian substance like thick slime or gel with high energy and elasticity. Unlike other slime races or oozes, the Vaelza has a number of Crystal Orbs and Ovals called Heart Crystals adorned in their form. There is the Heart Core in the torso area, with a crown of them above their head, and a ring of them around the wrists and ankles. Vaelza also have a prehensile tail that can pick up objects and manipulate them, with some fine manipulation to their motions. The Males and Females also have distinct and fairly obvious traits, as the females are voluptuous and curvy whereas the males will be less curvy and bulkier than their female counterparts. Do not be surprised if you see a tentacle or two, as how Vaelza are Omnifarious and have a high level shapeshifting ability as a natural trait.
The Vaelza are a Matriarchal Society, where the women are revered and seen as the leaders of their people. The men are not second class citizens, however, and nor are they treated with subservience or cruelty. Children are treasured and nurtured to be the best that they can be. The Vaelzazian people view all of their kind as family, a loving part of the whole. This surprising, seeing as how their population numbers in the Tens of Trillions, and average nuclear family can have hundreds of members. In concerns to other races, the Vaelza are wonderfully curious as said above and they love to learn about other cultures, even going as far to shapeshifting into another race to see what it is like to be them. When on other planets this can be seen as mockery sometimes, however, it is anything but. The stigma of Slime and Goo races hits them hard, but if they stick around and see the compassion and high intelligence that the Vaelzazian people possess naturally, they become amicable to them.
Vaelzazians are very good natured people deep down, but they are also very intelligent and logical. They normally fall in any Good or Neutral Alignment, save for Chaotic Neutral and Neutral Evil. It is not normal for them to be any form of Evil but it has happened in the past.
The Vaelza are very much at home in the oceans in there own world or any other. But they also like submersible caves and underground aquifers. This does not mean that they will not venture onto the land. Quite the opposite. They are a curious lot that will explore any lands with the pursuit of knowledge at the helm. This is especially true for sunny places, as they feed off solar energy for food.
The Vaelza are scientists at heart but they do acknowledge that the Gods are real. For the most part, if a Vaelzazian chooses to follow the works of a Deity, it would be one of Knowledge and Intellect in the pursuit of higher learning. Otherwise, it would one of the Oceans and the Sea, with additions of Gods of Peace and Harmony.
Like most Xenotheric races with decent intelligence, Vaelza are naturally telepathic. This is good for them, seeing as how they do not have lungs. They speak Vaelzalian, which is an assortment of psionic pings between the minds of individuals with different pitches, length of sound and other audio factors to make words and phrases. Thye can easily learn other languages after experiencing them for long periods of time.
The Vaelza don't have a set naming scheme. As they take in the cultures and conventions from the people they learn about, individual families can adopt a naming convention for their family line, be it human or elvish or anything beyond.
- -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Due to their Molecular Structure and nature of their development, the Vaelza have a completely alien mind. Their fluid nature has made them more robust yet at the same time hampering their overall dexterity and physical strength, but they make up for this with their mental abilities and nigh infinite flexibility
- Ooze: (Shapechanger Xenotheric) : The Vaelza are an amorphous race of sentient and sapient slimes, completely alien to whatever world they end up in and have all the traits of an Alien creature. The do not need to sleep, drink, or breathe, but they do feed on energy and any form of sugar.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Vaelza has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- The Vaelza have both Darkvision and Low-Light Vision of to 60ft in both from living in deep oceans with little light.
- Vaelza base land speed is 30 feet. Since their body is highly amorphous swimming is a simple task for them, being an amphibious race. Swim speed is 30 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A Vaelza begins with six levels of Outsider, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fortitude +4, Reflex +2, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A Vaelza’s Outsider levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are : bluff, control shape, craft (technology), diplomacy, intimidate, knowledge (technology), listen, gather information, and sense motive.
- Racial Feats: A Vaelza’s Outsider hit dice give it three feats and may take xenotheric feats
Corrosion Resistant Body (Ex): Due to their already acidic nature they are immune to all but the most potent acids and corrosive agents, granting them 10 resistance to anything that deals acid damage.
Partial Ooze Traits: A Vaelza has many of the same traits as ooze creatures, including immunity to sleep effects. A Vaelza eats but does not need to breathe, being able to survive in both water and the vacuum of space. They do not need to sleep and cannot wear heavy armor. They are also affected by any spell or effect that could target an Ooze.
Energy Devourer (Ex): Vaelza are beings who are powered by pure energy. They feed on it for sustenance and food, typically about an hour of exposure to unfiltered sunlight can feed them for an entire day. Their bio-energy pool cannot recharge unless they are exposed to a source of energy such as the sun or another source of it, even magic. A Vaelza can consume the energy from a Spell or a Psion Power for both sustenance and bio-energy as a reactionary action when it hits them. They will still take the damage of the spell or power, but after making a Fortitude save ( 10 + The Spell or Power’s level + Half Their Con Mod ), they get half of their Bio-Energy Charges back as a prize. Finally when a Vaelza's bio-energy pool is empty, they immediately become slowed and exhausted, nearly going inert into their Core with no way of removing those status effects (except recharging the bio-energy pool).
Bio-Energy (Ex): Xenotheric metabolism is capable of yielding large amounts of biological energy that can be used for different purposes. A xenotheric creature's bio-energy pool can hold a maximum amount of charges equal to 3 plus the Xenotheric creature's Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and recharges at a rate of 1 charge per minute. These charges may be expended to facilitate certain special powers. Some of these powers are exclusive to specific Xenotheric species, whereas others can be accessed through various Xenotheric feats.
Omnifarious (Ex): The Vaelza can control every aspect of the cells that make up their outer slime body, making them Omnifarious beings. To be Omnifarious means that Vaelza has complete and absolute control over their own being, allowing them to manipulate their shape, density, or size. Their minds are also partially immune to all external alterations and is as flexible as their body while still remaining whole and fully functional, which gives them a +4 bonus to resisting any mind altering changes. The means the Vaelza are rendered virtually immune to being polymorphed in any way, seeing as how with a simple thought they can revert any changes. This allows them a veritable degree of shapeshifting, as well as making them biologically immortal as their cells are constantly undergoing change and they never suffer the effects of aging. By expending 2 Bio-Energy Charges, The Vaelza can take the form of any creature the same size as them or smaller, with the only limiting factor being that it must be a lifeform they have seen and touched before ( To absorb a sample of its DNA). This is effectively an alter self spell. By expending only 1 charge, a Vaelza can form extra limbs such as arms or even tentacles to help them with multiple tasks at once. These limbs, which can be used as both arms and legs with equal ease. These limbs have the same properties as their prehensile tail, but can only carry and not wield items. Tail and Tentacle form limbs have a -2 penalty on interacting with anything that requires hands. Extra Tails, Tentacles, and Arms can be used to attack with small or medium sized weapons if they possess the multiweapon Fighting feat, using the feats rules to facilitate them.
Heart Crystals (Ex): Vaelza seem like nothing but sentient and sapient oozes but the slime and materials that encompass most of what people see is only one part. If you pay attention to a Vaelza’s form you will see that in certain portions of their body, there are floating crystals that glow with energy. These are known as Heart Crystals, which grow over time from the very slime and goo that covers the core as they mature. They are located as a crown on the head, rings of them around the wrists and legs, and a large one in the stomach and torso area. These Crystals, the largest one most of all, is where the Vaelza’s mind and soul reside. Everything that makes up what they are lies within. By expending Bio-Energy charges, the Vaelza can send energy through them to accomplish their natural abilities. Since this gives Vaelza a vital point, it makes them vulnerable to critical hits and precision damage. However, it is extremely difficult to hit them, giving them a natural resistance to such attacks in the form of a 75% miss rate for critical hits and precision based damage such as from a sneak attack. This is because in place of normal organs, the core crystal functions in place of such organs acting as single point of origin for their being. Their weak point is instead in the form of their main heart crystal, which functions as a brain for them and which can be moved about their body at will while also blending in making it a very difficult target. However, if the Core Heart Crystal is ever fully destroyed or sundered, they suffer true death no spell can bring them back from the dead or restore the Crystal. Only a Wish, Miracle, or divine intervention can bring them back and restore the core crystal to it's original form. If they are brought to 0 or below 0 hit points, the slime around their body melts away and goes inert. Only by healing the Core with magic can they reform. The abilities of the different Crystal sections take one Bio-Energy Charge to use and have a cooldown of 1d4 rounds after use.
- Crown: By spending 1 bio-energy charge, a Vaelza can replicate the effect of telekinesis with a caster level equal to their class levels and racial hit dice with no cap on weight. However, they can only affect objects or creatures that are adjacent to them. Telekinesis is based on the highest mental ability score that they have.
- Wrists: By using the Crystals around the wrist, a Vaelza and hurl orbs of pure energy, targeting a creature up to 60ft in range. Crystal Blasts are a standard action and require a successful ranged attack to hit. A creature struck by a Crystal Blast blast take 1d6 damage for every 2 class levels + Half their HD rounded down (starting at 1d6 at class level 1) of pure energy damage that ignores resistances but they can make a reflex save for half damage. The blast also crits on a Natural 20 Ranged Attack. Using a Crystal Blast requires 1 bio-energy charge and it counts as a bio-weapon for the purpose of interacting with xenotheric feats and abilities.
- Ankles: By spending 1 bio-energy charge, A Vaelza can boost their movement speed for 1d6 Rounds, gaining and extra 10ft for every two class levels rounded down. While boosted then also gain a +6 Bonus to Jump and Acrobatics Checks, allowing them to jump and vault over obstacles much easier due to their amorphous bodies becoming more elastic and using energy to make their cells bounce around. ( They are basically hyper sentient flubber, in this mode)
Amorphous Body (Ex): A Vaelza can, as a full round action melt into a puddle of goo ( Even temporarily changing the density of their Heart Crystals) to move through Tiny cracks and holes. They begin to enter the crack, hole, or other small entrance way on the next round. Their 60 ft Darkvision is replaced by 30 ft blindsight and they become immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight. It is immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. It is not subject to critical hits or flanking. Vaelza are also covered in a slick phlegm of liquid at all times, making them a hard target to grapple or or hold in place. If a grapple is initiated on them they get a +6 to breaking free or resisting the grapple, seeing as how they could simply liquefy to escape.
Bodily Digestion (Ex): Anything a Vaelza touches or holds slowly dissolves as its body feeds on whatever it comes in contact with, dealing 1d4 points of acid damage each round of contact. This is because of the body is flooded with digestive magical enzymes that break down matter on a molecular level. It does harm rock, wood, and glass but not metals. This ability can be repressed with a mental action.
- Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Common, and Vaelzalian.
- Bonus Languages: Any, except secret languages.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +4
- Effective Character Level: 6
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|N/A years||N/A years||N/A years||+N/A years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 0"||+4d6||295 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 0"||+4d6||220 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|