Alchemist (5e Subclass)
| Someone thinks this page needs a bit of help...
Making it meet 5e standards.
This template was placed here to direct user suggestions to the page. It may be removed at any time.
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Most live in a prosaic world of the base perceptions, bound by Ultimate Laws – truths that hinder the capacity of progress. Prisoners to common sense and logic, a land where even science becomes a religion. Even the most basic manipulations of existence cannot be understood by these sorry souls. This is the way of the lesser man. An alchemist is a proponent of straining the limits – nay, being without limits, then deciding what limits the rest must follow. An alchemist is a student of the power of Space. They can warp energy, matter, gravity, magnetics, magic and alignment in an area.
|“||What is is always ephemeral – walls become dust, life turns to death and then life again. The rules of nature change as the wind.||”|
|—Jubal, Human Alchemist|
Beginning when you select this tradition at 2nd level and at certain later levels, you learn a number of specialty spells. These specialty spells do not count toward your number of cantrips and spells known. Nor do they count against the number of spells prepared, and are always prepared. These spells count as wizard spells for you. The GM may add to this list as new spells are released.
- At 2nd level - choice of 3 (cantrips and spells total): cantrips: light, ray of frost, resistance; OR spells: create/destroy water, detect magic, entangle, fog cloud, grease, identify, thunderwave
- At 3rd level - choice of 2: darkness, daylight, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flaming sphere, gust of wind, levitate, scorching ray, shatter, silence, web
- At 5th level - choice of 2: blink, call lightning, counterspell, dispel magic, fireball, gaseous form, gravitational force, protection from energy, sleet storm, wind wall
- At 7th level - choice of 2: black tentacles, conjure minor elementals, control water, fabricate, ice storm, polymorph, resilient sphere, stone shape, transmute magnetics, wall of fire
- At 9th level - choice of 2: animate objects, circle of power, cone of cold, conjure elemental, flame strike, gravitational direction, passwall, telekinesis, teleportation circle, transmute rock, transmute magic, wall of force, wall of stone
- At 11th level - choice of 2: chain lightning, forbiddance, freezing sphere, move earth, sunbeam, transmute neg/pos energy, wall of ice
- At 13th level - choice of 2: etherealness, fire storm, forcecage, plane shift, teleport
- At 15th level - choice of 2: antimagic field, control weather, earthquake, incendiary cloud, sunburst
- At 17th level - choice of 2: gate, imprisonment, meteor swarm, prismatic wall, true polymorph, storm of vengeance
Convert Energy Damage
At 6th level, thrice per day, as a reaction to a spell, an alchemist can change energy damage. This acts like a counterspell, but instead of dispeling a spell, it converts the type of damage. This can be applied to both ally and opponent damage, Wisdom check to resist.
- This changes up to 20 points of energy damage into a different energy type (i.e., turn cold into fire damage). This has no effect on if the damage hits, and still does the same damage (just a different type). Energy damage is defined as: Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning and Thunder. This only works on energy damage, not things like piercing or ability damage. This converts the target's effect equally even with such things as lightning strike or area effects. This conversion lasts for only 1 round (+1 per 3 spellcaster levels), thus energy effects that last longer revert back to their original energy type in following rounds. Damage that exceeds the 20 points is treated as normal.
- This does not work against magic weapons or magic equipment (except wands and the like).
- Example: An enemy manifester deals 6d8 damage in an area, this power is cast (to convert fire into cold), the enemy fails its save, all in area receive 20 points of cold damage and the rest in fire (average 7). Thus creatures with immunity or resistance can use this power to aid them or use it to against vulnerable opponents (when used on an ally’s power). Once you exhaust this ability (by using it thrice) you may not use it again until you finish a short rest.
At 10th level, an alchemist has a permanent ability to see through illusions (treat like true seeing with a 30’ range).
|Author||Franken Kesey +|
|Desc||Most live in a prosaic world of the base p … |
Most live in a prosaic world of the base perceptions, bound by Ultimate Laws – truths that hinder the capacity of progress. Prisoners to common sense and logic, a land where even science becomes a religion. Even the most basic manipulations of existence cannot be understood by these sorry souls. This is the way of the lesser man. An alchemist is a proponent of straining the limits – nay, being without limits, then deciding what limits the rest must follow. An alchemist is a student of the power of Space. They can warp energy, matter, gravity, magnetics, magic and alignment in an area.magnetics, magic and alignment in an area. +
|Features||Alchemist Specialization +, Convert Energy Damage +, True Seeing + and Wish +|
|Help Wanted Reason||Making it meet 5e standards. +|
|Identifier||5e Subclass +|
|Rated By||Ghostwheel + and Stryker +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||The alchemist tradition focuses on zone control and energy. +|