Asura (5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A diminutive race, typically have a height just under 3 feet to just over 4 feet with fine fur that covers their bodies which can range in color from pure white to a dusky brown to jet black. They weigh in around 35 to 50 pounds, with floppy ears similar to those of a bat, large eyes filled almost entirely by their pupils, and a wide mouth filled with sharp teeth. Around two centuries ago, they were forced out of their subterranean homes by the Great Destroyer and its ilk, minions of Primordus, the elder dragon of fire and conflagration, and made their way to the surface where they have been ever since.
Atop a Floating Cube
Smart and audacious with keen intellects, the asura quickly began developing their new home to their liking and built the city of Rata Sum which floats atop the ruins of where they emerged after fleeing their home. Rata Sum is a marvel of magic paired with technology, a giant floating cube where they develop their scientific discoveries to ever greater heights, where large golems wander around keeping the peace and (usually) stable portals grant easy access to various personal laboratories and to other parts of Tyria. There, they are ruled by the Arcane Council, though most of the asura prefer to pursue their own inventions rather than the intricacies of bureaucracy.
The Eternal Alchemy
From a young age, asura are inducted into the belief in the Eternal Alchemy, a deterministic view of the universe that believes that everything is part of some great cosmic mechanism. These young asura, often referred to affectionately as "offspring" or "progeny", quickly learn and have been known to speak their first words on the day of their birth. These young asura are the product of serial monogamy, often with a set end date where the parents fight more over who gets their shared inventions than who gets the children. Progeny learn at one of the three colleges, the College of Dynamics, Statics, or Synergetics, which influences their outlook on life, and after they graduate they often join a "krewe", a discrete team which focuses on efficiency until they can become a krewe leader of their own krewe.
While most of the asura believe that the Eternal Alchemy should be studied and understood, a large organization of less scrupulous asura who are collectively known as the Inquest believe it should instead be changed and influenced just like any other machine to their own purposes. The inquest care little for morals, and often experiment on sentient creatures, undertaking dangerous experiments with little care for ethics. While some condemn the Inquest for their lack of scruples, their inventions and technology can be a wonder to behold, and thus they are not expunged from asuran society. Another difference between most krewes and the Inquest is that once one of the asura is a member of the Inquest, they are a member for life, and often work to advance their own research while sabotaging the research of their rivals.
Blonks, Collum, Glomm, Jaxx, Lojj, Moop, Tark, Varb, Yemm
Alloa, Emmi, Genna, Orra, Plumi, Raia, Taya, Vee, Yammi
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase. One ability score of your choice apart from Intelligence increases by one. Intelligence +2
- Age. Asura age at a very fast rate, often reaching maturity by the age of 13. Assuming no laboratory mishaps, they tend to live up to around 90 years of age.
- Alignment. While asura are headstrong in the belief in their own theories, they work together from a young age and tend towards a Lawful alignment.
- Size. Reaching around the height of 3 to 4 feet, asura tend to be smaller than most of the other races. They tend to have little sexual dimorphism, with both males and females appearing roughly the same. Your size is Small.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
- Darkvision: As your ancestors spent the majority of their lives living underground, you have you have superior vision in dim and dark conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as though it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Experimental Knowledge. Due to the time you've spent in various laboratories, you know magic like few others. You have proficiency in the Arcana skill.
- Laboratory Artifice. From your experiments in advanced magitech, you've learned to craft a number of devices through the use of magic circuits and gemstones, though they must be carefully maintained to ensure their proper functioning. This grants you proficiency in tinker's tools and jeweler's tools, and you can use the combination of both to spend an hour and 100 gold pieces of material to construct a Tiny clockwork device (AC 5, 1 hp). The device ceases to function after 24 hours (unless you spend 1 hour repairing it to keep the device functioning), or when you use your action to dismantle it; at that time, you can reclaim the materials used to create it. You can have up to three such devices active at a time.
- When you create a device, choose one of the following options:
- Calculator. The use of this device allows you to do advanced mathematical equations with the push of a few buttons.
- Communicator. This device comes with a matching pair. When someone speaks into one device, the voice can be heard at the same volume as long as the devices are within 100 feet of each other.
- Holographic Projector. Using this device, you can create a floating image made from a color of your choosing up to a cubic foot in volume. This image at times crackles with static, and is obviously an illusion to any creature examining it.
- Recording Device. You can use this device to record up to 5 minutes of audio, and then play it back at a time of your choosing as long as you have the same device.
- Technobabble. Your technical jargon and strange vocabulary can often confuse your foes. You can cast the vicious mockery cantrip. Intelligence is your spellcasting modifier for this spell.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Tyrian, Asuran, and one extra language of your choice..
College of Dynamics
At a young age your entered the College of Dynamics where you learned that if nothing is wagered, nothing is gained. With your ingenious mind, you solve problems before anyone has thought of them, and while your devices tend to be unstable, you are on the bleeding edge of magitechnology.
- Experimental Device. You may duplicate the effects of a wand of wonder as an action. You regain the use of this ability at the end of a long rest.
- Wild Magic. As an action, you can roll on the Wild Magic (Cantrips) table and cast the appropriate cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can roll on the 1st level table; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Once you reach 5th level, you can roll on the 2nd level table; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Intellligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Wild Magic (Cantrips) Result Cantrip 1 acid splash 2 chill touch 3 fire bolt 4 light 5 poison spray 6 ray of frost 7 shocking grasp 8 sacred flame 9 thorn whip 10 Roll twice and cast each cantrip, but if you roll another 10 on either die, you cast nothing, wasting your action. Wild Magic (1st Level) Result Spell 1 burning hands 2 chromatic orb 3 color spray 4 faerie fire 5 false life 6 fog cloud 7 jump 8 magic missile 9 thunder wave 10 Roll twice and cast each spell, but if you roll another 10 on either die, you cast nothing, wasting your action. Wild Magic (2nd Level) Result Spell 1 blur 2 darkness 3 enlarge/reduce 4 gust of wind 5 invisibility 6 levitate 7 acid arrow 8 scorching ray 9 shatter 10 Roll twice and cast each spell, but if you roll another 10 on either die, you cast nothing, wasting your action.
College of Statics
The College of Statics is known for teaching its members the value of thought before action, and to do things once and do them right. As part of your training, you have studied the great levitation stones that hold up Rata Sum, and have gleaned valuable knowledge which you can use to somewhat duplicate their effects.
- Magical Engineering. You know the mold earth cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the magnify gravity spell; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the immovable object spell; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Mason's Training. You are gain proficiency in mason's tools.
College of Synergetics
Asura who belong to this scholarly society study metaphysical theories and the abstract, often prone to loud arguments over philosophy and the patterns that emerge thereof. Your mind is all the sharper for the time you've spent arguing various theories, leading you to resist impulses that do not come from within.
- Argumentative. You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
- Deep Thinker. When you make an Intelligence (Arcana) or Intelligence (History) check, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.
Racial Feat: Personal Golem
You have a personal golem which you can summon and board as an action. For the next minute you gain the following benefits:
- Your size grows to Large. If there is not enough space around you to accommodate your new size, the activation fails and is wasted.
- Your Strength score becomes 19 and you have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
- You are unable to wield weapons or cast spells, but can slam enemies with your massive golem hands as a natural attack that you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d10 + Strength modifier damage.
- At 5th level, you may make a second attack when taking the Attack action. You may make an additional attack at 11th and 17th levels.
- You gain temporary hit points equal to twice your level.
At the end of the minute or if you fall to 0 hit points, the golem falls apart around you. You can repair it and reuse this feature at the end of a long rest.
|Ability Mods||One ability score of your choice apart from Intelligence increases by one. + and Int +2 +|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Darkvision 60 +, Experimental Knowledge +, Laboratory Artifice +, Technobabble +, Languages +, Experimental Device +, Wild Magic +, Magical Engineering +, Mason's Training +, Argumentative + and Deep Thinker +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Feat||true +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Subrace Features||Experimental Device +, Wild Magic +, Magical Engineering +, Mason's Training +, Argumentative + and Deep Thinker +|
|Summary||A race of diminutive humanoids who prefer to use their brains over brawn. + and You have crafted a personal golem which you can use to great effect. +|