Athar Homunculus (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The homunculus is a construct of magic and alchemy forged to give live to unliving materials and sentience to mere clay and blood. While well known as a favorite familiar or pet to some, these common homunculi are actually incomplete shadows of the true homunculus project; to create humans themselves through artificial and alchemical means. These processes usually fail, and when they succeed many stories end in tragedy due to unexpected consequences, but not all tales end with a failed or corrupted product. With the right ingredients and a little luck some very nearly grasp that humanity they strive to duplicate. Athar homunculi are "complete" homunculi, living constructs who mimic humanity but are not human at all. Some may claim they are not close enough and that there are still too many differences, but others may say that the athar homunculi are a successful proof of science's dominion over life and death.
Homunculi are born through artificial means and are often created fully formed as an adult. They have no childhood, and are born with enough fragmented memories of their creator to give them a basic personality and knowledge base (such as language). This lack of a past also results in them not relating to others, seeming alien, distant, or emotionless. This isn't entirely true, but they certainly appear to think and see things on an entirely different level. Were an athar homunculus provided an honest childhood perhaps they would grow up more normal and more human, but as such they are and always shall be outsiders.
This disconnection from the world may be interpreted as being aloof, amoral, or even evil depending on circumstances. Some homunculi try their best to mimic humanity and either pretend in excess or not enough, while others simply do not bother with such things. They are practical and pragmatic to a fault.
An athar homunculus appears identical to a human but their bodies are weaker and more frail. Even if modeled after a particular person the homunculi always seems paler, thinner, and more sickly with drab colors and lack of contrast. Many appear more androgynous than their model, in both body and voice. Some say this is evidence of the plane of shadow's effect on them, since their creation partly models that of the simulacrum spell. They all have some marking on their body indicating their unnatural nature which glows under detect magic and persists when changed into other forms. However they may be hidden and covered through mundane means. Internally they have blood and organs like any humanoid, but their heart is a pulsing red crystal; a philosopher's stone.
Athar homunculi technically have no gender nor genitals, and they cannot make children except through the alchemical processes which bore them. Many use this as proof that they are not the true homunculi that is sought, while others point out that they are like warforged, reliant on creation engines outside of their own forms but no less alive.
The exact method used to create an athar homunculus is a mystery, but the formula seems to call for mud and clay, the blood of the creator, breath, and a philosopher's stone as the heart. Without the needed components only a warped athar homunculus is produced. Some say the methods are much darker, and human sacrifice or other profane acts are involved which invokes life through death.
Athar homunculi are so rare as to not have steady relations with any being. Each is a unique product and how the world accepts or rejects them is a new story to be told.
Athar homunculus are often true neutral, starting as blank slates and seeming to have little in zeal and passion. Those that take on the more extreme alignments often do so out of pride or ambition, and it soon comes to define them.
Athar homunculi do not have lands of their own, for they are the unique produces of science.
Athar homunculi do not have a religion of their own and, perhaps due to their pragmatic outlooks, few turn to the religious for aid. Many find some discomfort in it for their existence is often a blasphemy against many a deity who would claim exclusive rights to life and death.
Athar homunculi speak Common.
Athar homunculi often go without names, being the only one of their kinds they are aware of. When they do gain names, they are nicknames granted to them by others, or names which they themselves found fitting.
- -2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma: Though weak and frail of body, the homunculus has a cunning mind and powerful spirit within its fragile shell.
- Construct (Living Construct): Made of artificial materials and pseudo-flesh which beats with its own heart, athar homunculi are a strange mimicry of normal organic life.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an athar homunculus has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Athar Homunculus base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: An athar homunculus can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and an athar homunculus can function just fine with no light at all.
- Craft Homunculus (Ex): The athar homunculus gains the ability to craft any homunculus as if they had the Craft Construct feat, and if they possess a familiar they may automatically gain a homunculus familiar at character level 7th provided they have crafted one. They count as possessing the Craft Construct feat, and if they gain either Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Magic Arms and Armor they may craft any construct.
- Detached Mind (Ex): The strange upbringing of the homunculus causes a -4 penalty on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks. On the other hand their alien mindset gives them a +4 bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects.
- Half-Living (Ex): The athar homunculus takes half damage (or half healing) from all positive and negative energy effects. They take full benefit from repairSpC effects. They are immune to any effects which would affect the soul, including abilities which would remove or trap the soul.
- Living Construct Traits (Ex): Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures. Unlike other constructs, a living construct does not have low-light vision. Unlike other constructs, a living construct is not immune to mind-influencing effects. They have immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain. A living construct cannot heal damage naturally. Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects. Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action. Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct. A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable. They may be raised and resurrected as normal. They do not need to eat or breathe, but they DO need to trance (much like elves) for 4 hours in order to perform basic maintenance on their bodies. They must still rest 8 hours to prepare spells, and can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
- Philosopher's Heart (Ex): The heart of the homunculus is a philosopher's stone which grants the fragile homunculus a small bit of insurance even in death. When an athar homunculus is killed but their body (and specifically their heart) is intact they can be raised from the dead by anyone who can heal their damage above -10 and make a DC 30 Heal check. This restores the homunculus to life, through they suffer a -2 penalty to Constitution for 1 week after they are revived. Any fast healing or regeneration you possess is suppressed if you would normally be dead. A heart which has been removed and placed back in an intact body can be restored to life again in this way. Sadly, many covet the minor artifacts and seek to slay homunculi for their previous hearts. If their heart is consumed as a minor artifact nothing short of wish, miracle, or true resurrection can return the homunculus.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+Unlimited years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||100 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||70 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, -2 Constitution + and +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma +|
|Subtype||Living Construct +|
|Summary||Athar homunculi are "complete" homunculi, living constructs who mimic humanity but are not human at all. +|
|Title||Athar Homunculus +|