Bladed Nunchaku (3.5e Equipment)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Exotic Light Melee
|Type3:||Slashing and Piercing|
1. See Damage Increases by Size to calculate the damage for a weapon larger than Medium or smaller than Small.
2. Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
3. When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies "and", either type (player's choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies "or", or each end of the double weapon is a different type if the entry specifies "/".
4. The hp value given is for Medium armor, weapons, and shields. Divide by 2 for each size category of the item smaller than Medium, or multiply it by 2 for each size category larger than Medium.
At first glance these appear to be a pair of carefully balanced kamas connected by a metal chain. A dangerous and wildly impractical weapon for anyone not proficient and trained in their use, the weapon nonetheless appeals to some martial monks, ninjas, and other groups that favor close-quarters fighting with exotic and unusual weapons. Those without the necessary proficiency to use this weapon take a -6 penalty to attack rolls instead of the usual -4, and if a natural 1 is rolled on the attack roll, the wielder deals damage to themselves unless the wielder chooses to drop the weapon as a free action.
Bladed nunchucks are a double weapon. You can fight with them as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding bladed nunchucks in one hand can’t use them as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
The bladed nunchaku are exceedingly tricky to learn, requiring a minimum Dexterity score of 13 in order to become truly proficient with them. Those who have proficiency with this weapon but not the required Dexterity score take a -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls with this weapon. Those who have the appropriate proficiency with this weapon AND a minimum Dexterity score of 17 may make the following special attacks:
- Dipping Shrike: As a standard action, the wielder makes single attack with the bladed nunchucks, burying one of the points of the blade in their opponent, dealing damage as normal, then may make an immediate trip attempt against the struck opponent as they pull the impaled opponent off-balance. If the attempt fails, the opponent does not get to attempt to trip the wielder in return. In either event, the wielder may elect to use a swift action to cruelly wrench the impaling blade free, dealing one-half the damage inflicted by the dipping shrike attack. Otherwise the wielder may pull the weapon free as a free action dealing no additional damage.
- Wind Through the Thistles: With amazing speed and manual dexterity, the wielder whips the bladed nunchucks around his body in an attempt to keep his enemies at bay. The wielder deals normal weapon damage to anyone who strikes him from an adjacent square with a melee or natural weapon, or attempts to initiate a grapple. This is a full-round action, and the effect lasts until the beginning of his next turn. Requires both hands.
- Weaving Cobra Strike: As a move action, the wielder may whirl the bladed nunchucks confusingly around his body before striking, feinting as though the wielder possessed the Improved Feint feat. This maneuver works against creatures with animal intelligence without the usual penalty, and opponents does not get to add their Base Attack Bonus to their Sense Motive check. The wielder may use this maneuver as a swift action instead, but takes a -6 penalty to the bluff check. Requires both hands.
A creature proficient with this weapon and possessing a minimum Dexterity score of 19 may add their Dexterity modifier to damage rolls in addition to their Strength modifier. This does not stack with any other ability or feature that adds your Dexterity modifier to damage, including the ability to substitute Dex for Strength (such as from the Spiritual Weapon feat).
A monk or similar class may treat this as a martial weapon instead of an exotic weapon, though it is not a special monk weapon.
|Cost||20 gp +|
|Damage Type||Slashing + and Piercing +|
|Hit Points||10 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Equipment +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Title||Bladed Nunchaku +|