Charr (5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Growing up in a society built for war, each one of the charr knows himself to be a cog within the machinery that is required to move their race forward. With their savage appearance and aggressive mannerisms, they tend to put off members of other races, and while there may be rivalries between warbands among the charr, each charr knows that they are a soldier that serves and that they must trust their own warband to survive.
Bent Posture, Unbowed Spirit
Charr are carniverous, standing almost half as tall as a man and twice as heavy, with lithe bodies made for speed and power similar to those of tigers, though the horns that adorn their heads and additional set of ears swiftly end this comparison. While they are comfortable on two feet, when their hands are free charr prefer to run on all fours with a loping gait. Their fur tends to be striped or spotted, or to be some other variation of various felines, and some have a mane on the back of their heads and neck.
Into the Crucible
From a young age, charr are for the most part abandoned by their birth parents. As soon as they are weaned from their mother, they join a fahrar (also known as a crèche), often one affiliated with the legion of their parents. This is where they learn the underlying nature of charr society, and where they are molded into beings built for war, taught the importance of trust and teamwork, and forced onto the path that leads them to joining their own warband. Upon joining a warband, they choose a variation of their warband's name that represents their own individual personality for their surname, such as choosing Goreblade for the Blade warband, or Gnashfang for the Fang warband.
Iron and Steel
The charr home lies within the Black Citadel, an edifice of towering metal which is both their home and base of military operations. This vast stronghold stands upon the edge of the ruins of Ascalaon, where vengeful ghosts still rise up to terrorize the living, a legacy of the curse that King Adelbern levied upon his people when the charr invaded. This eternal war pushes the charr to become ever stronger, and to militarize to an even greater degree so as to push back the inexorable attacks of the undead that always threaten them.
Traitors and Dishonor
The lowest place in charr society is occupied by the gladia, charr who have forsaken their warband. This may be for a number of reasons, some entirely outside the charr's control, such as the death of their warband and choosing to become an outcast rather than forsake their original surname and become a gladium instead. However, there are charr who have had their names entirely stricken from the books for vile deeds, as well as those of the Flame Legion which once persecuted female charr and controlled their entire society through superstition and the worship of demons, which is the reason that many charr find magic and the worship of deities repugnant.
Aethin, Andrick, Bartol, Catio, Corrcus, Euryale, Falx, Gero, Hafren, Inigo, Kalare, Magis, Trazin, Vexus
Ahneta, Beata, Caelia, Fada, Gerda, Idesta, Kalla, Larana, Lawta, Minita, Narra, Paedra, Reesha, Xerana
Bloodsand, Boomwatcher, Chokegrip, Gnashfang, Goreblade, Irontwist, Jawsmash, Jagsaw, Neckbreak, Scorchfire, Sharpclaw, Shiverpaw
- Ability Score Increase. One ability score of your choice increases by one. Constitution +1
- Age. Charr mature rather quickly, reaching maturity at around the age of 15. Most die in battle, but some charr are known to live for more than 90 years.
- Alignment. Being part of a military hierarchy, most of the charr tend towards a lawful alignment, though they run the gamut of the good to evil alignment axis.
- Size. At their full height, most charr tower above those of the human race, standing around 6'6" to 7'6" feet tall, though their bestial physiology makes this uncomfortable for long. They tend to weigh around 350 to 450 pounds. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
- Darkvision. Due to their feral senses, you have you have superior vision in dim and dark conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as though it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Aggressive. As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward a hostile creature that you can see.
- Bite. Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
- Keen Smell. Thanks to your sensitive nose, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception), Wisdom (Survival), and Intelligence (Investigation) checks that involve smell.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Tyrian and Charr..
The members of the ash legion are known for their covert operations, hiding in the shadows and carrying out either reconnaissance or assassinations behind enemy lines.
- Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +1
- Stealth Training. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
The first into the fray, charr of the blood legion are renowned for their physical expertise and their ability to clash with foes head-on.
- Ability Score Increase: Strength +1
- Martial Prowess. The charr of the Blood Legion learn from an early age that they cannot appear useless to their warband, and go to great heights to appear as part of their team. If you miss with an attack roll or fail an ability check or a saving throw, you can gain a bonus to the roll equal to the number of allies you can see within 30 feet of you (maximum bonus of +5). Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Pioneering technology and know-how, charr of the Iron Legion have learned well how to craft tools of war.
|Ability Mods||One ability score of your choice increases by one. + and Con +1 +|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Darkvision 60 +, Aggressive +, Bite +, Keen Smell +, Languages +, Stealth Training +, Martial Prowess + and Loaded and Ready +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Subrace Ability Mods||Dex +1 +, Int +1 + and Str +1 +|
|Subrace Features||Stealth Training +, Martial Prowess + and Loaded and Ready +|
|Summary||Bipedal tiger folk with horns born for the crucible of war. +|