Dungeons and Dragons Wiki:DnDWiki/Main Page Talk/Archive 1
Note: This is a discussion from a merged wiki, and is no longer in use. It is preserved here by request.
Just a question here, really. What exactly is the purpose of this wiki? Is it for collecting fan-made D&D materials, or something else entirely? And what is the legality of creating such a wiki, if WotC catches wind of it? Riggermantis 07:25, 13 Jul 2005 (UTC)
- I suppose that this wiki would be perfectly okay if no copyrighted materials were put on it. I suppose that it might fall under the WOTC fansite policy. 15 Jul 2005.
- Where exactly does that line between copyrighted mats start being an issue? I just started working on the White Wolf Wiki, explaining the various concepts and ideas of the games. This is really useful because (a) White Wolf's indexes are always awful, (b) information is often spread out between books and (c) information within a book can be confusing and sometimes contradictory (comes with a setting emphasizing grays areas, I guess). Wikis make the WW worlds easier to grasp and enjoy.
- On that suject, I won't be publishing game mechanics stuff as that goes too far (unless the mechanics aren't clear). Since DnD is much more about the mechanics than World of Darkness, I reccomend that this site acts as more like an introduction to DnD and serve as a tactical/GM base. Under a the "Fighter" article, for example, there could be advice/ideas on making a fighter and getting it to work in a group as well as DM info on how to use or screw fighters in their game.--Atlastawake 23:13, 27 Jul 2005 (UTC)
- Glad you're enjoying the WW Wiki. :) As for this site, I think I agree with you, but basic info is also good. So readers can know the difference between, say, a fighter and a ranger. We don't necessarily have to go into mechanics, but at least the conceptual differences. And, of course, book/page references so that people know where to look things up for more information.
- There's enough of the core mechanic available under the Open Gaming License that I'm sure this Wiki could legally have rules in some amount of detail. The SwoRD project (http://www.behemoth3.com/sword/) is an example of how this Wiki could eventually look.
- I would think that this wiki could be used for anything that only uses SRD information. So no Eberron or FR stuff, but custom PrCs, feats, races, etc. could have a home here. You could also discuss information about settings and such, but you could not post rules specific to a setting that is not publicly available right now. Hope that wasn't too confusing :) Mathx314(talk)(email) 01:01, 23 Sep 2005
|06:48, 24 Nov 2005 (UTC) Sleepycjkun wrote:|
|Ok, all that stuff up there refers to the old wiki before I adopted it.|
|11:02, 24 Nov 2005 (UTC) Sleepycjkun wrote:|
|Please direct all questions to the Questions and Answers section.|
In future, will this wiki be hosting dnd games? 22.214.171.124 22:22, 7 March 2006 (UTC)
Retrieved from ""