Felwrack Darkbinder (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Size/Type:||Medium Humanoid (Elf)|
|Hit Dice:||9d8+30 (70 hp)|
|Armor Class:||23 (+3 armor, +5 deflection, +5 dex), touch 20, flat-footed 18|
|Attack:||Dagger +10 melee (1d4, 19-20/x2) or Eldritch Blast +10 ranged touch (4d6, 20/x2)|
|Full Attack:||Dagger +10 melee (1d4, 19-20/x2) and Eldritch Blast +10 ranged touch (4d6, 20/x2)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft/5 ft|
|Special Attacks:||Binding, Eldritch Blast, SLAs, Soul Eater|
|Special Qualities:||Death Throes, DR 5/magic, Ego, Fast Healing 2, Felwrack Darkbinder Traits, Hostile Mind, Immunity to Charm/Compulsion/Fear, Occult Resistance 12, See in Darkness|
|Saves:||Fort +5 (+8 vs death/drugs/poison), Ref +8, Will +14|
|Abilities:||Str 10, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 21|
|Skills:||Bluff +17, Knowledge The Planes +13, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +13, Tumble +17|
|Feats:||Toughness DeformityB, Ur-Soul, Weapon Finesse, Occult Resistance, Ignore Special RequirementsToM|
|Organization:||Solitary, Pair, or Covenant (3-8)|
|Alignment:||Usually Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral|
|Advancement:||By character class|
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back. But... I have won that staring contest before.
A member of the Felwrack clan of fiend slayers, they are a group dedicated to hunting down and destroying all which stems from the lower planes. The Felwrack Darkbinders are one of the more... heretical members of their group. In their eternal war against the forces of evil, some have found that employing the weapons of their enemies can work to their advantage. The darkbinders whose wills must be tempered of adamantine willingly absorb evil souls into their body, using it as both a weapon and a method of containment. As a result they are very strong, but prone to dangerous behavior and explosive failures. As such the darkbinders are used almost as tools themselves, their allies aware of the danger they present.
The abilities of a felwrack darkbinder vary wildly, as each is bound to a different vestage. Regardless to whom they are bound to, they excel as spellcasters and are especially effective against incorporeal or teleporting opponents.
Binding (Su): Felwrack darkbinders can bind vestiges as if they were a binderToM, binding a single vestige up to 4th level. Their effective binder level is equal to their HD.
Death Throes: The dreadful spirits the darkbinders contain erupt outward dangerously when they are slain, exploding in a wave of ectoplasmic energy in a 20 ft radius burst that deals 1d6 force damage per HD to all creatures in the area (Reflex save DC 19 for half, the save is Charisma based). There is a 20% chance it will also summon a random outsider with a final command from the dyng binder where the binder once stood, up to a CR of its own -3 (or CR 6 for the base darkbinder). This creature persists for 1 hour before it vanishes and is under no control other than to follow its darkbinder's dying wish, which is can interpret as it sees fit.
Ego (Ex): A darkbinder's willpower is especially strong. They add their Charisma to their Will saves in addition to their Wisdom, and add their Charisma as a deflection bonus to AC from the swirling aura of phantoms surrounding them.
Eldritch Blast (Sp): Felwrack darkbinders have an eldritch blast as a warlock, dealing 4d6 points of magic damage on a ranged touch attack out to 60 ft as a standard action. While they possess no invocations, shapes, or essences their eldritch blast is automatically considered ghost touch, and extraplanar creatures stuck with the beam are either effected by dimensional anchor or dismissal on a natural 15 or higher, at the darkbinder's choosing. The saving throw is Charisma based.
Felwrack Darkbinder Traits: Felwrack darkbinder are trained to have good Will saves, poor BAB, and 4+Int skills per level. Beyond their equipment, they are proficient in simple weapons, light and medium armor, and shields (but not tower shields). They are considered to have the all spells as class spells for the purpose of interacting with magic items.
Hostile Mind (Ex): The mind of a felwrack darkbinder is a dangerous place. Whenever subject to the target of any kind of mind reading, telepathy, possession, or mind-affecting effect the caster of the effect must succeed on a caster level check against 11 + the darkbinder's HD (DC 20). On a failed check, they are ravaged by the spiritis within the darkbinder and they take backlash 4d6 damage and are shaken for 1 minute.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will-detect evil, disrupt undead, mage hand; 3/day-false life, levitate, paranoia haunt (DC 16), possessed hand (DC 16), shatter (DC 17), telekinesis (DC 20); 1/day-animate dead, dream, invisibility, kiden's harassing spirit, magic circle against evil, magic missile, mask of forbidden horror (DC 19), séance, see invisibility, vampiric touch. The saving throws are Charisma based.
Soul Eater (Su): If a creature dies within 30 ft of a felwrack binder, they can use an immediate action to absorb their soul. A felwrack binder can hold one soul at a time of any level within themselves, or more if they have the appropriately powerful material component for trap the soul which embeds the soul in the gem in question. When a creature's soul is trapped, they cannot be revived until they are freed. A felwrack darkbinder may free a soul as a free action, or automatically upon their death. In addition while they have a soul absorbed they gain the following options:
- Death Whisperer: As a 1 round action the darkbinder can force the spirit of the trapped soul to answer truthfully one question. They need not share a language, but the soul need not know the truth. It answers within one or two sentances as needed for clarity, and then the effect ends.
- Frightful Moan: As a standard action the darkbinder releases a baleful moan as a ghost. All living creatures within 30 ft must make a save DC 19 Will or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same darkbinder’s moan for 24 hours. The DC is Charisma based.
- Refresh Vestige: As a free action darkbinder reduces the cooldown time on any of their vestige abilities by 5 rounds, allowing them to use the ability again.
- Trade Life: As a non-action if a darkbinder would be slain by an effect, they can choose to free the soul in exchange for ignoring the killing blow. Death effects are negated, while death by damage or ability damage reduces the damage dealt to -9 hp and stable, or 1 in their ability score respectively. Effects such as petrification still go through. They can do this, even when no longer conscious.
- These actions free the soul as part of activating, leaving the darkbinder empty. While a soul is bound, the darkbinder is immune to any effect that would displace or affect their own soul.