Grendel Gronti (3.5e NPC)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|M Half-Minotaur Dwarf Pathfinder Fighter 7/LA 1|
|CE Large Humanoid (Dwarf)|
|Init/Senses||+3/Darkvision 60 ft; Listen +7, Spot +7|
|AC|| 25 (+13 armor, +1 shield, +2 natural, -1 size), touch 9, flat-footed 24|
(+4 dodge vs giants)
|hp||153 (7d10+83 HD); DR 8/-|
|Fort/Ref/Will||+15/+4/+12 (+2 vs spells and poison)|
|Melee||+1 Ball & Chain +18 melee (3d6+17, 20/x4) or|
|Melee||+1 Ball & Chain with double strength (3d6+32, 20/x2) or|
|Melee||Gore +17 melee (1d8+10, 20/x2)|
|Space/Reach||10 ft./10 ft.|
|Atk Options||+1 attack vs giants, Backswing, Overhand Chop, Shattering Strike|
|Special Actions||Backswing, Overhand Chop, Shattering Strike|
|Combat Gear||Ball & Chain +1|
|Abilities||Str 30, Dex 10, Con 26, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 5|
|SQ||Darkvision 60 ft, DR 8/-, Dwarf Traits, Minotaur Cunning, Scent, Weapon Training +1 (2H Weapons)|
|Feats||TrackB, Born ToughB, Complete Exotic Proficiency, Endurance, Power Attack, Steadfast DeterminationPH2, Weapon Focus (ball & chain), Roll With ItSS, Improved Sunder, Strongarm Diplomacy|
|Skills||Intimidate (7) +26, Perception (0) +2|
|Possessions||combat gear plus 15gp, Adamantine Hydraulic Plate with Dastana, Backpack, Cloak of Resistance +2, Locked Gauntlet, Mwk Skill Tool (Intimidate), Shield Bands|
Grendel is a halfbreed of dwarf and monstrous giant (reflavored minotaur) who is both praised for his frightening skill in battle and reviled for his heritage. Though a pariah, he nevertheless gets the job done as a knight by dispatching all opponents with great, almost excessive force. Grendel is not one to hold back and probably would rampage if it were not for his lust for power. He has a good deal going on as it is, and is loathe to throw it away at this point.
Backswing (Ex): At 7th level, when a two-handed fighter makes a full-attack with a two-handed weapon, he adds double his Strength bonus on damage rolls for all attacks after the first.
Ball & Chain: The ball & chain has three unique abilities for those proficient.
- Heavy Impact: If you have the Power Attack feat, you can use Heavy Impact. By taking at least a -2 penalty on your power attack, you gain the normal benefits of the feat and you may bull rush your target on a successful hit without provoking attacks of opportunity. You do not move with the target of your bull rush.
- Spinning Defense: When taking the total defense action, you spin your weapon around you as a deterrent. Opponents attacking you take a -4 penalty to attack. If an opponent attacks you in melee, they may choose to ignore the penalty but will automatically be struck by your weapon for normal damage. Ranged attackers cannot choose to ignore the penalty.
- Whirlwind: As a full attack action you can strike all creatures within your reach as if you had the Whirlwind Attack feat.
The ball & chain has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.
You can also use this weapon to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the ball & chain to avoid being tripped.
Dwarf Traits: Dwarves have the following traits...
- Defensive Training: Dwarves gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant subtype.
- Giant Hunter: Dwarves with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoids with the giant subtype. Furthermore, they gain a +2 bonus on Survival checks to find and follow tracks made by humanoids with the giant subtype.
- Greed: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks made to determine the price of non-magical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.
- Hardy: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Stonecunning: Dwarves gain a +2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.
Overhand Chop (Ex): At 3rd level, when a two-handed fighter makes a single attack (with the attack action or a charge) with a two-handed weapon, he adds double his Strength bonus on damage rolls.
Shattering Strike (Ex): At 2nd level, a two-handed fighter gains a +1 bonus to CMB and CMD on sunder attempts and on damage rolls made against objects. These bonuses increase by +1 for every four levels beyond 2nd. Currently at +2.
Weapon Training (Ex): As the fighter class feature, but the bonuses only apply when wielding two-handed melee weapons. Currently at +1.
Houserules: He gains an extra 1st level feat, maximum hp per HD, 30 point buy (Pathfinder), and Pathfinder skills and feats. If converting completely to Pathfinder, the NPC's CMB is 21 (25 with sunders) and CMD is 31 (35 from stability, 45 vs disarms).
Pathfinder dwarf is used with Giant Hunter alternate racial traits, and gains +1 hp/level from favored class.
Pathfinder fighter is using the Two-Handed Fighter alternate class feature.