Helraiser (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|“||God is on the side with the best artillery.||”|
Soldiers of fortune, revolutionaries and freedom fighters all exist in a perpetual war. Indeed the goal is always Chaos to destroy the established order. Helraisers are very good at evasion and hiding, and are naturally pyromaniacs. But their greatest ability is trapmastery, able to disarm and create traps with ease – eventually able to create explosive traps. Advanced helraisers can launch explosives great distances with mortars and artillery.
Abilities: Dexterity and Intelligence are the key abilities of this class.
Alignment: Any non-lawful
Starting Gold: 4d6×10 gp (140 gp).
Starting Age: Moderate
|Saving Throws||Special||Ranking Features|
|1st||+1||+0||+2||+2||Trapfinding, Parkouring Luddite||—||—||—||—||—||+1|
|2nd||+2||+0||+3||+3||Evasion, Fast Movement, Trackless Step||+10ft||—||—||—||—||+1|
|3rd||+3||+1||+3||+3||Trap Sense, Pyromaniac+1, Trapmaster||+10ft||—||+1||—||2d6&1d4/10ft||+2|
|4th||+4||+1||+4||+4||Uncanny Dodge, Resilient||+10ft||—||+1||+2AC & DR2/cold||2d6&1d4/10ft||+2|
|5th||+5||+1||+4||+4||Pyromaniac+2, Craft (Explosives), Pitcher’s Arm||+20ft||—||+1||+2AC & DR2/cold||4d6&2d4/10ft||+3|
|6th||+6/+1||+2||+5||+5||Endurance, Slow Fall, Camouflage||+20ft||20ft||+2||+3AC & DR2/cold||4d6&2d4/10ft||+3|
|7th||+7/+2||+2||+5||+5||Pyromaniac+3, Detonator||+20ft||20ft||+2||+3AC & DR2/cold||6d6&3d4/15ft||+4|
|8th||+8/+3||+2||+6||+6||Improved Uncanny Dodge, Unentanglable||+30ft||20ft||+2||+4AC & DR3/cold||6d6&3d4/15ft||+4|
|9th||+9/+4||+3||+6||+6||Pyromaniac+4, Mortar||+30ft||20ft||+3||+4AC & DR3/cold||8d6&4d4/15ft||+5|
|10th||+10/+5||+3||+7||+7||Hide in Plain Sight||+30ft||30ft||+3||+5AC & DR3/cold||8d6&4d4/15ft||+5|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+3||+7||+7||Pyromaniac+5, Fireball||+40ft||30ft||+3||+5AC & DR3/cold||10d6&5d4/20ft||+6|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+4||+8||+8||Bonus Feat||+40ft||30ft||+4||+6AC & DR4/cold||10d6&5d4/20ft||+6|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||+4||+8||+8||Pyromaniac+6||+40ft||30ft||+4||+6AC & DR4/cold||11d6&6d4/20ft||+7|
|14th||+14/+9/+4||+4||+9||+9||Bonus Feat||+50ft||40ft||+4||+7AC & DR4/cold||11d6&6d4/20ft||+7|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+5||+9||+9||Pyromaniac+7||+50ft||40th||+5||+7AC & DR4/cold||12d6&7d4/25ft||+8|
|16th||+16/+11/+6/+1||+5||+10||+10||Bonus Feat||+50ft||40ft||+5||+8AC & DR5/cold||12d6&7d4/25ft||+8|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+10||Pyromaniac+8||+60ft||40ft||+5||+8AC & DR5/cold||13d6&8d4/25ft||+9|
|18th||+18/+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+11||Bonus Feat||+60ft||50ft||+6||+9AC & DR5/cold||13d6&9d4/25ft||+9|
|19th||+19/+14/+9/+4||+6||+11||+11||Pyromaniac+9||+60ft||50ft||+6||+9AC & DR5/cold||14d6&10d4/30ft||+10|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+12||Artillery, Craft (Shell)||+70ft||50ft||+6||+10AC & DR6/cold||14d6&10d4/30ft||+10|
Class Skills (8 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the helraiser. All features are extraordinary abilities.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Helraisers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, plus two martial weapons from the modern weapons list. Helraisers are not proficient with any armor or shields.
The most important ability of a helraiser is not to ATTACK, but to SURVIVE. The brave die swiftly, the survivors live to keep fighting. This survival instinct vitalizes the following abilities:
- Trap Sense: At 3rd level, a helraiser gains an intuitive sense that alerts his to danger from traps, giving his a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. This bonus increases with level, see above Table: The Helraiser “Trap Sense” for changes (denotes total benefit, not stacking). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.
Evasion: At 2nd level, a helraiser gains evasion.
- Uncanny Dodge: At 4th level, a helraiser can react to danger before his senses would normally allow his to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
- If a helraiser already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
- Endurance: At 6th level, a helraiser gains endurance as a bonus feat.
- Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 8th level, a helraiser can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has class levels.
Fast Movement: At 2nd level, a helraiser gains a +10’ to base land speed when unarmored (treat like fast movement). This bonus increases with level, see above Table: The Helraiser “Speed” for changes (denotes total benefit, not stacking).
- Slow Fall: At 6th level, a helraiser within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow his descent. When first using this ability, he takes damage as if the fall were 10’ shorter than it actually is. This bonus increases with level, see above Table: The Helraiser “Fall” for changes (denotes total benefit, not stacking).
- Unentanglable: At 8th level, a helraiser learns how to swiftly move through normal entanglement (treat like freedom of movement)
Trackless Step: At 2nd level, a helraiser leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
- Camouflage: At 6th level, a helraiser can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.
- Hide in Plain Sight: At 10th level, a helraiser can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a helraiser can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.
Resilient: At 4th level, a helraiser gets a +2 dodge bonus to AC and DR 2/cold when unarmored. This bonus increases with level, see above Table: The Helraiser “Dodge/DR” for changes (denotes total benefit, not stacking).
Helraisers are bent on pure destruction.
Pyromaniac: At 3rd level, as a standard action a helraiser can produce a 10’ cone of fire (similar to scorching ray). This deals 2d6 fire damage. All struck creatures and objects also receive 1d4 fire damage for 2 rounds after. The helraiser is immune to this effect (except fireball). A successful Reflex save (DC10+helraiser level+Intelligence modifier) reduces the initial damage by half and negates the continuous damage. This can be done at will, but has a 1d4+2 round cooldown.
- At 5th and every other level after: 1) the initial damage increases by 2d6; 2) the continuous damage lasts for 1d3 more rounds; and 3) the continuous damage die increases by 1d4. At 7th level, and every four after, the cone range increases by 5’. This bonus increases with level, see above Table: The Helraiser “Pyro” for changes (denotes total benefit, not stacking).
- At 7th level, the shear force of this fire, blows away affected creatures 1d4x5’.
- Fireball: At 11th level, a helraiser can create a fireball (instead of the normal area effect). The fireball has a radius of 5’, deals 6d6+4 fire damage, lasts for 2d4 rounds (treat like a greater flaming sphere). Creatures and objects hit by the fireball receive 2d6 fire damage for 2d4 rounds thereafter. This fireball moves in one direction, and moves at a rate of 5’ per round. The helraiser is not immune to damage from this fireball. This counts as a use of normal pyromaniac for round cooldown.
Helraisers have a few utility abilities that help other abilities on this page, but are not purely defensive or offensive on their own:
Parkouring Luddite (Ex): At 1st level a helraiser becomes a skill monkey, he gains a +1 bonus to the following skills: balance, climb, craft (alchemy), disguise, escape artist, gather information, hide, jump, move silently, open lock, search, survival and tumble. This bonus increases with level, see above Table: The Helraiser “Skills” for changes (denotes total benefit, not stacking).
Trapmaster: At 3rd level, a helraiser gets good at designing and making mechanical traps. A helraiser adds 1/2 character level to craft (trapmaking) and disable device skill checks. At 5th level, this is applied to the craft (explosives) skill as well.
Craft (Explosives): At 5th level, a helraiser merges knowledge gained from pyromania and trap making into making explosives. A helraiser gains craft (explosives) as a class skill (see page). A helraiser crafts explosives at one half the normal cost.
Pitcher’s Arm (Ex): At 5th level, a helraiser gains an unusually strong dominate arm. This arm gets a permanent +2 Dexterity bonus, can throw light thrown objects up to 50’.
- Pitchers are not the most accurate beyond 30’ (treat as normal when less), there is a 50% chance of hitting 1d6x5 feet away from target.
Detonator: At 7th level, a helraiser gains a detonator which can detonate explosives from up to a mile (for free, see page).
A remote detonator can be used to detonate traps and explosives up to a mile away. This detonator has a range of 1 mile, and can be used with mundane traps and explosives (except grenades and mortar cartridges). A detonator deals no damage on its own. The detonator requires 1 minute to link to a trap, then a swift action to trigger the trap. A detonator has 5 HP, hardness of 5 and weight of 1lbs.
There is a 6 second delay between when the detonator is switched and the device is triggered.
The detonator has only one switch. This can be linked to multiple devices, making them all go off at once. However, if the engineer wants to set off devices at different times, they need multiple detonators. Mortar: At 9th level, a helraiser gains a mortar which can lob objects up to one mile (for free, see page).
Setup and Firing: It requires 12 seconds to unpack and ground the mortar (or repack); standard action to load and fire (total); and a move action to adjust range and direction. (A setup mortar can be moved to a different location as a move action.) The mortar has a bi-pod, base-plate and sight, and is only fired when grounded (not when literally held). A mortar fires a mortar cartridge (see below).
Inaccurate: Mortars are not the most accurate, there is a 30% chance of hitting 1d6x5 feet away from target.
Bonus Feat: At 12th and every other level after (except 20th), a helraiser receives a bonus feat that he meets the prerequisites for.
Howitzer: At 20th level, a helraiser gains a howitzer to fire shells up to 10 miles (for free, see page).
Basic Features: A cannon affixed to a two-wheeled metal trailer. The cannon itself is 12’ long and 1’ wide (at widest point); while the entire trailer is 15’ long, 5’ wide and 5’ high.
Movement: Due to the trailer’s weight it is near impossible to lift, however the wheels are very good and rugged, as such a large-sized creature (or two medium) can move it as a full-round action on smooth terrain. On rough or muddy terrain, it requires a warhorse (heavy or light), two regular horses, or six medium-sized creatures to move. When moving it is in a “packed” configuration (feet are up, and cannon is retracted).
Setup and Firing: The artillery is converted into a “firing” position by securing a solid foundation around it, dropping the legs, and extending the cannon. To change it to a firing position takes three minutes (for one person). This time can be reduced with the aid of a crew; every added crew member reduces time by 50 seconds (to a minimum of 30 seconds). It requires three minutes to repack (same rules on crew aid benefits). The cannon is breech-loaded with a shell (see below). It requires 12 seconds to load and fire from the artillery.
Spare Parts and Ammo: The trailer comes with a spare tire and parts, plus enough space to store four shells.
Accurate: A howitzer is very accurate, there is only a 10% chance of hitting 1d6x5 feet away from target.
Should the helraiser become lawful they loss all SURVIVE and Pyromaniac abilities.
Playing a Helraiser
Religion: Helraisers anti-establishment bend tends to make them dislike organized religion. They are more lone wolves. However, the idealism many helraisers possess has some similarities to religion – just more chaotic.
Other Classes: In most places helraisers are hunted far an wide for their destructive capabilities. But in armies, they are given a lot of liberty; and in private sectors of society their craft value has a great price.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (History) can research helraiser to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Helraisers are criminals, trapmasters, and like Choas.|
|10||Helraisers are really good at evading capture and making explosives.|
|15||Helraisers can use mortars and artillery to deal serious area effects.|
|20||Specific info on a helraiser.|
|Article Balance||High +|
|Author||Franken Kesey +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Good +|
|Class Ability||Other +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Balance +, Bluff +, Climb +, Craft +, Disable Device +, Disguise +, Escape Artist +, Forgery +, Gather Information +, Hide +, Intimidate +, Jump +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Move Silently +, Open Lock +, Search +, Sense Motive +, Spot +, Swim +, Tumble + and Use Rope +|
|Skill Points||8 +|
|Summary||Soldiers of fortune, revolutionaries and f … |
Soldiers of fortune, revolutionaries and freedom fighters all exist in a perpetual war. Indeed the goal is always Chaos to destroy the established order. Helraisers are very good at evasion and hiding, and are naturally pyromaniacs. But their greatest ability is trapmastery, able to disarm and create traps with ease – eventually able to create explosive traps. Advanced helraisers can launch explosives great distances with mortars and artillery.reat distances with mortars and artillery. + and A remote detonator can be used to detonate traps and explosives up to a mile away. +
|Will Save Progression||Good +|