Infernal Bloodhound Flammarch (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Flammarch, the Lord of Hellhounds|
The Blood Hounds of Phlegethos are the greatest trackers within all the Nine Hells, capable of sniffing out their mark across vast distances. Not even shifting across dimensions will save you from their fiery bite.
Flammarch is a gigantic hellhound whose bulk measures nearly 30 feet from snout to its hind legs. Its entire body is armored with blisteringly hot flesh that is armored like rock, and the inside of its massive maw glows white hot like it is a personification of the pit of fiery perdition itself. Elusive, persistent and deadly, Flammarch is the personal tracking hound of Archduke Belial, and is regularly dispatched to track and assassinate high profile targets. During times when the Blood War stops being cold, Flammarch and his hellhounds commit heinous slaughter behind enemy lines, staining their teeth and claws with the blood of countless Abyssals.
Flammarch weighs 20,000 pounds, speaks Infernal, and understands (but does not speak) Common.
When Flammarch is called out to hunt and kill, it will pursue its prey with a singleminded impulse, oft to the point of blatantly ignoring everyone else unless people get in the way in some significant manner. Highly trained and perfectly obedient to its master, unless given carte blanche to slaughter at will, Flammarch will kill only who it is ordered to kill and those who interfere with its task. It possesses a keen ability to track its marks across any distance and even across dimensions.
Astral Scent (Su): Flammarch's scent is many times more acute than that of an ordinary hound. The range of the ability increases hundredfold when smelling without a source. With a source of a target creature or object's smell however, Flammarch is capable of tracking across any distance.
Flammarch can literally smell your soul. By focusing on a memorized scent for 1 minute, Flammarch may 'smell' into other planes using the astral plane as a conduit, and use that knowledge along with its spell-like abilities to resume tracking.
Cannibalize (Ex): By devouring the carcasses of fallen allies and enemies alike as a standard action, Flammarch can swiftly regain its health and strength. It may regain up to 50 hit points per round by cannibalizing, though it can only regain as many hit points as the carcasses had in life. A carcass counts as completely devoured once Flammarch has gained the full amount of hit points from it. Using this ability, Flammarch can store excess hit points gained over its maximum as temporary hit points, to a maximum of half its maximum hit points (standardly 450). Temporary hit points gained from cannibalizing last for 12 hours.
Hell's Breath (Su): Flammarch unleashes a massive plume of destructive hellflame from its maw. This is a breath weapon that can be unleashed in a 120-foot line, a 60-foot cone, a 120-foot sweep, or a 20-foot-radius blast with a range of 200 feet. Damage dealt is 20d8 fire. Any creature affected is allowed a DC 32 Reflex save to halve the damage dealt.
Hellflame (Su): Flammarch's flames come right from the deepest pits of hell, carrying dregs of foul corruption within every searing tongue. Of every dice of fire damage dealt by Flammarch's attacks, spells and special abilities, the first point is vile damage (see Book of Vile Darkness) that is not reduced by resistance or immunity to fire, though if the effect allows a Reflex save to halve damage dealt, the vile damage is also halved on a successful save. For example, Flammarch's bite deals an additional 4d6 points of fire damage, so 4 points of the damage dealt is vile. Likewise, its hell's breath deals 20 dice of fire damage, which includes 20 vile damage that is halved to 10 on a successful save.
Flammarch is immune to its own hellflame.
Infernal Mark (Su): When a hunted creature is bitten by Flammarch, it may choose to inflict an infernal mark at the location of the bite wound. This is a curse mark that remains as long as Flammarch is alive and in pursuit, regardless of distance or the number of dimensions between it and its target. This infernal mark functions as a combination of the tag and mark of the shadowstalker spells, making it very hard for the creature to hide and allowing Flammarch to use its teleportation spell-like abilities to hound the creature to no end. Though this ability is highly dangerous, Flammarch's infernal mark is restricted only to the targets it is specifically tasked to track and kill, and any other creature bitten in the course of its task does not receive the mark. Flammarch may inflict its infernal mark once per day.
Flammarch is always aware of a Marked creature's condition, as per the status spell. Break enchantment (DC 30) can suppress the Mark for 10 minutes per character level. Otherwise, it requires at least a complete restoration, miracle or wish to completely destroy the mark. Antimagic will likewise suppress the mark.
Lord of Hellhounds (Ex): Flammarch is the greatest of all the Hounds of Hell. It automatically commands any hellish canine creatures within 200 feet, such as hell hounds and nessian warhounds, and may give them mental directions at will. The sheer tyranny of Flammarch's overwhelming presence can erode the wills and minds of non-hellish canine creatures as well; they must make a DC 27 Will save or become servile thralls to Flammarch and his pack. Any hound under Flammarch's control within 200 feet gains a +4 bonus to its Strength and Constitution scores.
Maneuver-Like Abilities: Flammarch has access to several maneuver-like abilities that it can use in battle when the inspiration hits it. It starts every encounter with two of its maneuvers available, randomly determined with two d6 rolls (the 7th maneuver can only become available through combat). At the start of every turn, it rolls a d10 to see which maneuver becomes available (see the numbers in parentheses, below). Only one instance of a specific maneuver can be available at any time. A result above 7 means no maneuvers are gained. A maneuver that comes available may be set aside for use at a later turn.
- Charge Burst (1): Strike—As a double-move action, Flammarch moves up to twice its land speed (standardly 160 ft.) in a straight line. Every creature within the 15-foot-thick line of Flammarch's movement must make a Reflex save or count as being overrun; creatures that fail the save must make a Strength or Dexterity check with the appropriate modifiers opposed to Flammarch's Strength check (+30 with all modifiers). Failure means they fall prone. Failure by 10 or more points means they are stunned for 2 rounds. Failure by 20 or more points means they are stunned for 2 rounds and staggered for 1d4 rounds after that. Any creature that is successfully overran takes damage as if hit by Flammarch's bite attack.
- Sufficiently solid architecture or objects of Gargantuan size or bigger will stop Flammarch's charge burst from continuing.
- Shadow Pack (2): Boost—As a standard action, flammarch spawns 1d4+1 flaming illusory doubles of itself within a range of 200 feet. The doubles only have one-tenth of the original's hit points, and cannot use any of Flammarch's maneuver-like or spell-like abilities. Observers may attempt to disbelieve the illusory doubles with a Will save. If successful, the shadow pack's attacks only do 50% damage to them, and the doubles incur a -4 penalty to attacks, Armor Class, and ability save DCs against creatures that disbelieve them.
- Devouring (3): Strike—Flammarch makes a bite attack against a creature of Large size or smaller as a standard action. If the attack hits, Flammarch may attempts a grapple on that creature. If the creature is successfully grappled, Flammarch may extend this ability to a 1-round-action and devour the creature whole. Attempting to devour a creature provokes attacks of opportunity and may be interrupted with a successful counter-grapple.
- Upon the start of Flammarch's next turn, any grappled creature is devoured and swallowed whole, and starts to take periodic damage every round from Flammarch's gizzard equal to its bite attack. A devoured creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 50 points of damage to Flammarch's gizzard (AC 23). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. Flammarch has enough room in its gizzard for 4 Medium or 1 Large creatures.
- Evasive Lunge (4): Counter—At any time as an immediate action in response to some attack or effect that would target it or include it in its target area, Flammarch may launch its body in a haphazard spin and vault backwards to escape some threat. It makes an effective whirlwind attack with its claw attack against every creature within its natural reach and then immediately retreats in a chosen direction by up to half his land speed (maximum 40 feet). If this movement puts Flammarch out of the reach of the attack or effect that prompted it to use its Evasive Lunge, then the attack or effect automatically misses.
- Rending Bite (5): Strike—Flammarch makes a bite attack as a standard action. This attack is counted as having the brilliant energy quality. On a successful hit, the target takes normal damage, and the target's armor or shield (Flammarch's choice) are sundered for a similar amount of damage.
- Hellhound King's Clangour (6): Strike— Flammarch unleashes a massive howl as a full-round action that deals 15d6 sonic damage to any creature within 60 feet (Fortitude half). Though the damage is instantaneous, an insistent ringing sound persists for 1d4 rounds afterwards. While this ringing sound persists, all spellcasters, manifesters, initiators and other users of special ability types must make a Concentration check (DC 30 + spell/power/maneuver level) to use their abilities, unless they are deaf. This ability also effectively dispels and destroys any and all concentration-aiding spells in effect, such as sonorous humSpC.
- Infernal Detonation (7): Strike—Exciting all the latent hellflames within its body, Flammarch focuses its full power inward, building it up to critical mass in order to release it in a devastating area attack. Charging this ability takes 2 rounds. While charging, Flammarch is immobile, but also only takes half damage from any source. This halving is applied after any damage reduction or resistance. Dealing more than one quarter of its maximum health (standardly 225 hit points) in damage to Flammarch while he is charging will stop the Infernal Detonation from happening and leave it staggered for 1 round.
- If the charge completes successfully, Flammarch unleashes a gigantic nova of destructive energy. Creatures within a 30-foot-radius spread must make a Fortitude save or be obliterated (a destruction effect), and take 200 points of adamantine bludgeoning damage and 20d6 fire damage on a successful save. Creatures further than 30 feet away but within a 60-foot-radius spread only take the fire damage, and may make a Reflex save to halve the damage dealt.
- After using Infernal Detonation, Flammarch won't be able to use maneuver-like abilities for the next round.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—air walk, dimension door, dispel chaos (DC 25), dispel good (DC 25), fireball (DC 23) (uncapped); 3/day—bloodied chains of Pyrrhos, greater dispel magic, plane shift, rain of fireballs (DC 27), teleport; 1/day—black chains of durance, pure incendiary cloud (DC 28), planar rip (DC 28) (leading to hell only). Caster level 15th. Save DCs are Charisma-based.
The Legacy Lives On (Ex): When Flammarch fails a saving throw against a spell or effect that would kill or destroy it outright, it instead takes damage as though it suffered a disintegrate spell as cast by a spellcaster with the appropriate caster level.
Throw Off the Disability (Ex): If Flammarch is targeted by a non-instantaneous effect or harmful status condition, it can recover far quicker from it. For the purpose of throwing off status conditions or control impairing effects such as being slowed, confused, stunned, deafened and the like, one round counts as 4 rounds.
Flammarch is immune to any negative effect that only lasts one round.
|Alignment||Lawful evil +|
|Challenge Rating||15 +|
|Environment||The fiery planes of Phlegethos +|
|Identifier||3.5e Monster +|
|Level Adjustment||— +|
|Subtype||Evil +, Extraplanar +, Fire +, Lawful + and Legacy +|
|Title||Infernal Bloodhound Flammarch +|