Iskaari (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Iskaari are stub-winged humanoids with a deep sense of pride and a warrior culture. Their wings are not strong enough for true flight, but they are able to glide; it takes a lot of training for an Iskaari to achieve true flight. They make excellent fighters, barbarians and other melee-specializing classes.
While they have no natural predilection for any particular personality type, Iskaari civilization has adopted an honorable warrior culture that promotes pride and honorable behavior. The stereotypical Iskaari is extremely proud, very disdainful at any failure in combat, while also conducting his or herself well and acting fairly. The stereotype is somewhat true; most Iskaaries are at the very least mildly prideful of their fighting skills. Overall, Iskaaries are as varied as humans when it comes to personality.
Iskaaries look very much like humans, usually with darker skin and hair color. What really sets them apart is the pair of feathered wings growing from their backs. Iskaaries tend to be slightly more muscular than humans because of the military training they undergo during their youth.
As a rather traditional warrior culture, Iskaaries tend to have poor relationships with other races. However they also tend to isolate themselves at high altitude lands like mountains or similarly isolated places to build their civilization. That being said, Iskaaries can make perfectly good diplomats.
Iskaaries are stereotypically assumed to be lawful; this is, however, not always the case. They can be of any alignment.
It is said that the Iskaaries come from the mystical land of Iskaar, an island covered in mountains and great spires.
Though they spurn traditional gods, Iskaaries worship powerful creatures of nature like dragons, their ancestors, and an entity they believe is the soul of the planet itself: the Green. The Green is, according to Iskaari legend, the culmination of all life force and consciousness of every living being on a planet, and even the planet itself.
Iskaaries have their own language Iskaar, which is somewhat similar to Common.
- +2 to any attribute, -2 to any attribute: Iskaaries are very versatile.
- Humanoid (Human): Iskaaries are extremely similar to humans and share many ties with common men.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an iskaari has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Iskaari base land speed is 30 feet. Iskaaries possess a glide speed of 40 feet (average)
- An Iskaari starts the game with one extra [fighter] feat at first level; however, he or she must still meet the prerequisite for that feat.
- Friend of the Wind (Su): Iskaaries are attuned to the power of the wind, allowing them to stay focused even in the worst storm. They take penalties as if any wind effects were two categories less severe.
- Warrior's Pride (Ex): When an Iskaari misses an attack, he or she takes a noncumulative -1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks until the beginning of her next turn. If he or she misses an entire full-attack, he or she becomes shaken for 1 minute, bypassing immunity to fear; this does not stack with other fear effects.
- Warrior's Training (Ex): Young Iskaaries all receive at least basic military training; they are automatically proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice, and possess 5 additional hit points at first level. If they start proficient in all martial weapons, or later become proficient with all martial weapons, they also gain proficiency with one exotic weapon.
- Wings (Ex): Every Iskaari possesses a pair of feathered wings, although they are incapable of true flight. An Iskaari can use his or her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Iskaaries glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if an Iskaari's maneuverability improves, he or she can't hover while gliding. An Iskaari can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If an Iskaari becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, his or her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Iskaari descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
- Iskaaries can use their wings to help with movement, even if they can't fly. The extra lift from her wings gives an Iskaari a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks. Iskaaries are quite humanoid in appearance, but their wings demand that their armor be custom made. Iskaari armor is calculated by the nonhumanoid cost. After he or she reaches 5th level, an Iskaari may sacrifice a feat he or she would obtain from leveling to gain a fly speed equal to twice his or her base land speed with good maneuverability.
- Xenophobia (Ex): Iskaaries are culturally xenophobic and isolationist; foreign relation often means war for them. Iskaaries take a -2 to all charisma-based skill (except intimidate) checks against members of other races. This penalty vanishes on any skill the Iskaari placed at least one skill rank in.
- Automatic Languages: Iskaar
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret.
- Favored Class: Combatant
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 5”||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Combatant +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute + and -2 Any Attribute +|
|Summary||Iskaari are stub-winged humanoids with a deep sense of pride and a warrior culture. +|