Mammuti (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The mammuti are giant elephantine or mammoth-like humanoids, relative to both small humanity and giant-kind and altered by magic long ago. The species was created artificially, but now breeds true and their original purpose has been lost to them.
The mammuti are said to have "muted" personalities. While they experience joy, sorrow, fear, and pain as any creature does they usually keep their feelings buried or obscured. This shield is not absolute, and when the emotional dam breaks the fury and vigor in which they express themselves is unheard of. These outbreaks are usually seen as things to be avoided, and the ascetic lifestyle comes easy to them. Combined with a history of nomadic lifestyles, and the mammuti become natural wanderers, forming bonds and remembering them for eons until they one day return. Their memories are said to be very keen as well, and they are able to recall things picture perfect from decades ago as if they were there.
Mammuti are built like bipedal elephants or mammoths, most being partly or fully covered in long brown hair but not a universal constant. They also have tusks which continue to grow all their lives, and a long prehensile trunk. In spite of their monstrous forms, they share many genetic clues to once being giants or humanoids of some sort. They tend to be broad shouldered and barrel chested. Skin tones result in various grays and soft pink hues.
The mammuti are slow to emote and many consider them calm for a species. Thus most creatures do get along with the mammuti, even if they may have their own opinions of others.
Mammuti tend to have non-chaotic personalities due to their behavior and personality.
Mammuti originated in the far north where their thick fur was a benefit, and moved south. At this point they can be found many places, but usually in a nomadic lifestyle.
Mammuti do not have a base religion, but it is not uncommon for religion to catch on in nomadic tribes.
Common and Giant.
It is said that mammuti names seem to pull a great deal from dwarven sources, though why this is is not yet known.
- +4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Giant, massive, but slow.
- Giant (Anthro): Mammuti are anthromorphic giants born from magic.
- Large: As a Large creature, a mammuti takes a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +4 size bonus on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but it uses larger weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are twice of those of a Medium character. They have a space and reach of 10 feet.
- Mammuti base land speed is 20 feet. However, a mammuti can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Low-Light Vision: A mammuti can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Articulated Trunk (Ex): A mammuti's trunk functions as a third arm, capable of picking up and using most items. As it is not capable of the finesse to effectively employ skills which require fine manipulation by hand (such as disable device or using weapons), using the trunk to perform said task invokes a -2 penalty on the roll.
- Feral Strike (Gore) (Ex): A mammuti has a gore as a feral strike. It deals 2d6 plus Strength and a half, with a 20/x2 critical. On a natural 20, you gain a free bull rush attack, and you need not travel with your opponent the length pushed.
- Inertia (Ex): If a mammuti has moved at least 10 ft last round, they gain a +10 bonus to their land speed so long as they travel in the same general direction, no greater than a 90 degree turn from their previous motion. As long as they benefit from this speed bonus, they gain a +4 bonus on bull rush, overrun, sunder checks, against any break DCs, and +2 to the DC of any trample ability they may have.
- Natural Armor (Ex): Mammuti have a +2 bonus to natural armor.
- Memoria (Ex): Mammuti have excellent memories. Beyond their use of autohypnosis (see skills), they can make a DC 15 Autohypnosis check even untrained and take a perfect "snapshot" of anything they witnessed within the last 5 rounds as a non-action, up to 1 round of information. They are able to recall this information perfectly with no check, and said information is unable to be manipulated or removed by magical effects of 6th level or lower. They can store one of these events at a time, placing it into normal memory when removed.
- Racial Hit Dice: A mammuti begins with three levels of giant, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +1, and Will +1. They are proficient in simple and martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, and shields (but not tower shields).
- Racial Skills: A mammuti gains more skill than a typical humanoid racial hit die, gaining skill points equal to 6 x (4 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Autohypnosis, Concentration, Intimidate, Listen, Knowledge (any), Sense Motive, and Survival. It can use Autohypnosis untrained.
- Racial Feats: A mammuti's giant levels give it two feats.
- Scent (Ex): Mammuti have the scent ability.
- Stability (Ex): A mammuti gains a +8 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Strong Thrower (Ex): Mammuti may not have a giant's rock throwing ability, but they are still very capable throwers. Thrown weapons may use Strength for attack rolls as well as damage, thrown weapons have their range increased by +10 ft, and all other objects may be thrown with a range increment of 10 ft. This counts as the Throw AnythingCW feat for the purpose of pre-requisites.
- Traveler's Endurance (Ex): A mammuti benefits from an extraordinary endure elements at all times, and does not become fatigued, exhausted, or take non-lethal damage from forced marches. They count as having the Endurance feat for the purpose of pre-requisites.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Giant
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Barbarian or Monk
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||90 years||130 years||+5d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||12' 0"||+2d8||1500 lb.||× (1d10) lb.|
|Female||11' 10"||+2d8||1300 lb.||× (1d10) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||3 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian + and Monk +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Strength +, -2 Dexterity +, +2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||The mammuti are giant elephantine or mammoth-like humanoids, relative to both small humanity and giant-kind and altered by magic long ago. +|