Norn (5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Giants of men, norn see the world through the lens of the hunt and the glory it brings. They venerate the wild and the spirits that represent it, giving thanks to Bear, Raven, Snow Leapord, and Wolf for the bounty that they find within the frozen wastes in which they live, each representing a different facet of the hunt and the will needed to survive on the highest peaks.
Norn typically stand head and shoulders above humans, a testament to their physical prowess. While men tend to be a little taller and brawnier when compared to the women, no norn could be mistaken for a human with how massive they tend to be. Hair color tends toward blonde and red-headed, though brunettes are not uncommon, and their hair (and beards for men) is often braided in ornate folds. The skin of a typical norn tends to be pale from the lack of sun in their icy peaks, though some who have spent time outside their home is tanned. Norn tend to reach maturity at 16 years of age, and weigh in at over 300 pounds.
Tales of Glory
The norn tend to be individualistic, each one hoping for glory and to have their name written in legends told by skalds throughout the ages. The biggest fear of most norn is to be forgotten and left aside in the annals of history; to alleviate this fear they often gather in moots where tales are told of their prowess both in the hunt and in battle, and to face challenges that would surely kill lesser men, for even in death they can live forever in song and story. Some norn spend years hunting a worthy foe in pursuit of prestige, though this same pursuit can lead them to bragging, bullying, and even quarreling when others try to dissuade them from what might be a suicidal task.
Spirits of the Wild
The most commonly venerated and strongest of the norn spirits is Bear, though Raven, Snow Leapord, and Wolf are also seen to have excellent qualities that are often praised. The shamanistic religion of the norn also has many lesser spirits, such as Owl, Wolverine, or Eagle, though these are often exalted more rarely than the other four. Some of the norn even have the ability to transform into hybrids that combine the best aspects of themselves and their chosen spirit, bringing such might to bear that few can challenge them alone. They are led by havrouns, powerful shamans with a strong connection to their chosen spirit.
Unfortunately, some of the norn see the ice dragon Jormag as another spirit, one that is even more powerful than the traditional spirits. These norn who are exclusively male have built a cult known as the Sons of Svanir, and they are often influenced by the dragon into becoming one of his frostbrood in the hopes of killing the other spirits for being weak. However, due to the individualistic nature of the norn, members of this cult are not exiled from norn society as they have not proved themselves to be a clear threat to all norn, though they tend to commit more evil acts than other norn such as murder to stealing under the effects of the ice dragon's corruption.
Asmund, Biron, Bram, Dimitri, Gunnard, Holgard, Nomar, Olin, Tjorn
Ansa, Ashlynn, Beva, Fraehilda, Gesa, Jarra, Kera, Valda, Rjoda
Norn take the name of their more famous parent, and add "sson" for men, and "sdottir" for women.
- Ability Score Increase. One ability score of your choice increases by one. Strength +1
- Age. While few die of old age, most norn can live to be over 120.
- Alignment. Their search for glory leads most Norn towards being Chaotic, though their respect for others and the spirits also leads them towards being Good.
- Size. Norn are giants of men, easily standing around 8 to 9 feet tall, and weighing in at around 300 to 350 pounds. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
- Mountain Born. You're acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You're also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master's Guide.
- Primal Connection. You can cast the animal friendship and speak with animals spells with this trait, requiring no material component. Once you cast either spell with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a short or long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Tyrian, Norn, and one extra language of your choice..
The most brash of the norn, those who venerate Bear tend to be sturdy and face threats with sheer strength.
- Ability Score Increase: Constitution +1
- Bear's Endurance. Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
- Athletic. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Intelligent and cunning, Raven teaches norn to know that the best way to face a foe is to make them disbelieve in their own senses, causing them to feel lost and confused.
- Ability Score Increase: Intelligence +1
- Raven's Cunning. You know the minor illusion cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the silent image spell; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the blur spell; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Curiosity. You have proficiency in the Investigation skill.
A quiet step is what Snow Leapord teaches, for when foes are unaware, they are most vulnerable and easiest to bring down.
- Ability Score Increase: Dexterity +1
- Snow Leapord's Paws. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
- Tundra Step. You know the shape water cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the jump spell; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the invisibility spell; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again using this trait. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Tenacity and strength of will mark norn who preach the path that Wolf follows, never staying down and resisting any attempts to stop them in their tracks.
- Ability Score Increase: Wisdom +1
- Expert Tracker. You have proficiency in the Survival skill, and advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track creatures.
- Wolf's Tenacity. You can reroll a saving throw that you fail. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Racial Feat: Form of Spirit
Form of Spirit (Feat)
As a bonus action, you can transform your shape to a hybrid of your venerated spirit for one minute. This grants the following benefits, based on your subrace.
Bear. You current and maximum Strength increase by two.
Raven. Your current and maximum Dexterity increase by two.
Snow Leapord. Your current and maximum Dexterity increase by two.
Wolf. You gain temporary hit points equal to twice your level.
In addition, you gain fangs and claws or talons which you can use to make unarmed strikes, which are considered finesse weapons. If you hit with them, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d10 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
Finally, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take is reduced by a number equal to your Proficiency bonus.
You regain the ability to transform when you finish a long rest.
|Ability Mods||One ability score of your choice increases by one. + and Str +1 +|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Languages +, Powerful Build +, Primal Connection +, Bear's Endurance +, Raven's Cunning +, Expert Tracker +, Wolf's Tenacity +, Athletic +, Curiosity +, Snow Leapord's Paws +, Tundra Step + and Mountain Born +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Feat||true +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Subrace Ability Mods||Con +1 +, Int +1 +, Dex +1 + and Wis +1 +|
|Subrace Features||Bear's Endurance +, Raven's Cunning +, Expert Tracker +, Wolf's Tenacity +, Athletic +, Curiosity +, Snow Leapord's Paws + and Tundra Step +|
|Summary||Hulking giant-men in search of glory. + and You are able to change your shape, taking on the form of your spirit animal. +|