Pantheren (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The Pantheren aren't a trusting race and prefer to be alone than have another "cramp their style". While hunting they use stealth, this may account for their solitary nature. Males don't have much interaction with other Pantheren and females only interact with their children who live with them until they can survive for themselves and then go on their own path.
There are no Pantheren cities or other places of congregation. This makes Pantheren history hard to obtain and also means that each Pantheren may have very different experiences and personalities. The Pantheren culture means that the males must compete to mate, they must prove their worth to the female.
Males are more hostile and territorial than females. A male will defend his home or territory to the death and it is common to find two males fighting over hunting grounds or even the table at the local tavern. When Pantheren encounter each other for the first time while hunting (or any other place where they are competing for the same prize), they usually hiss and spit at each other which may escalate to a fight.
When moving homes or travelling through towns there can be some conflict with the Pantheren that are already inhabiting the town, this can cause damage to each other, their parties or local establishments. Females don't have as many physical fights, when they see another female Pantheren they usually avoid them, though if forced to work together or be otherwise unable to avoid the other, they may get aggressive and fight the other.
They usually eat meat and may eat it raw, they can digest it just as well and it tastes about the same for them. Most Pantheren are entirely carnivorous and some have never eaten cooked meat.
Pantheren are only slightly shorter than humans, they also weigh slightly less. They have a tough build though it is also very steam lined and smooth. Their skin is covered in fur which comes in a variety of colors including black, white and tan. They may also be spotted, stripped or have small sections of either. Their skin and fur are the same color and each fur hair is very short, a few millimeters at most.
Their face is slightly longer than that of a human and it is also narrower. They have pointier teeth and ears, and may have whiskers. Their eyes are usually yellow with small pupils though the color may vary slightly. Their head hair is just as long as that of a human and it is the same color as their fur.
Even though Pantheren are hostile and competitive between themselves they tend to get along well with other races. Individual Pantheren may hold grudges against races and from their experiences may treat each race differently.
Though they aren't hostile towards other races they still don't trust them. If a Pantheren trusts an individual it is usually because its life was saved or it was cared for by the person from a young age. Pantheren may trust a race if they grew up with a caring family of that race.
Pantheren can sometimes be prejudiced for another's actions the person that prejudices the Pantheren may think that you are the same one or may have a prejudice against the Pantheren race. The personality and conflict between Pantheren may also cause people of other races to think negatively of them, though people learn quickly that they aren't hostile, just competitive.
Pantheren can tend to be chaotic because they are solitary though if they were raised in a community they can be lawful. Each Pantheren has individual experiences that effect their alignment which allows them to be of any alignment.
Solitary Pantheren may live in the wild, either in forests or in mountainous areas, or they may live in a small town though it is not common for their to be more than one in each town. When living in the wild they may be completely independent, hunting animals for food and killing travelers for equipment. Pantheren in the wild can go crazy and savage, most cannot join society again and some forget proper etiquette and speech.
If a Pantheren has grown to be with a society they can be in larger towns, from medium towns to capitals, they may also be in military associations that cause them to move around and be in close quarters with others. Pantheren in a society can live in a wider range of climates than those without access to the technology that is supplied to townsfolk, they may not be able to survive on the local animals or it may be too cold for them.
Pantheren don't have a group religion and most of them don't have any religious beliefs, those that do worship either the deity that relates to their alignment, location or race they were raised by. Each Pantheren is individual and have unique beliefs, their beliefs can cause more conflict between each other though it doesn't usually cause much more conflict. Pantheren that worship a deity may be hostile towards worshipers of others, though not usually as hostile as if it were another Pantheren.
Pantheren speak common and felines, the language of cats. They can communicate with common cats and any animal of the cat species, they can also communicate with others who 'speak' felines. They normally also know the language of races that they live with or of those they hunt.
Pantheren can get their names from a wide variety of places, be it their mother, their raiser, or a discovery of what they think their name should be. If they were given a name by their mother then they will usually have a more feline name, hard to pronounce by someone that cannot speak felines. If given by a raiser it would be close to the normal from the race that the raiser is. If they discover it themselves it may be any name, though it is largely influenced by their path and their surroundings.
- +4 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Pantheren are quick and stealthy, but not the smartest or most charming.
- Humanoid (Anthro)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Pantheren has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Pantheren base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A pantheren can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Thermal Sight (Ex): Pantheren have Thermalsight 30 feet.
- Retractable Claws (Ex): All four of a pantheren’s paws have retractable claws. These claws can can be un-retracted as a free action. When un-retracted, the claws give a +4 bonus to grapple and climb checks; and can deal 1d6 damage each. However, a feline cannot grasp weapons or equipment when the claws are un-retracted. Each paw can be un-retracted independently of others, however, the entire paw can only be in one state or the other (they cannot just un-retract one nail).
- Quiet Ambush (Ex): A pantheren has a +4 racial bonus to Move Silently and Jump checks.
- Balancing Tail (Ex): A pantheren’s tail helps them adjust weight, greatly aiding in balance. This gives them a +4 bonus to all Balance checks, and +1 on Reflex saves.
- Cats Descend (Ex): By rolling into a fall, or otherwise delaying final contact, a pantheren can make a Tumble check to reduce fall damage, reducing the damage taken by 10 feet starting at a DC of 10. For every additional 5 points a pantheren beats this DC by, he subtracts another 10 feet from his falling damage. Unlike a Monk, a pantheren doesn't have to be near a wall to reduce its damage. This stacks with forms of Slow Fall.
- Sneak Attack: All pantheren have a sneak attack ability, dealing an additional 2d6 damage whenever a victim is denied their Dexterity bonus to AC or is flanked. This stacks with sneak attacks from other sources.
- Racial Hit Dice: A pantheren begins with two levels of Animal, which provide 2d8 HD, a BAB of +1, and saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +0.
- Racial Skills: His Animal levels give him skill points equal to (2+Int modifier, minimum 1) per HD, with quadruple skill points for the first HD. His class skills are: balance, climb, hide, jump, listen, move silently, spot and tumble.
- Bonus Feat: A pantheren’s Animal levels give him one extra feat.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Feline
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|25 years||40 years||55 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 8”||+2d10||115 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 3”||+2d10||80 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Adopter||Franken Kesey +|
|Effective Character Level||3 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Dexterity +, -2 Intelligence + and -2 Charisma +|
|Summary||The Pantheren are quick, agile, stealthy and come in a variety of colors. They usually roam the world alone. +|