Runetouched Human (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Magic heavy societies may realize not all magic is free. Certain magic and some item creation forms a sort of "magical pollution", with various side effects. One such side effect began to affect the unborn children of humans, transforming then in the womb with a boon and a bane into new beings known as runetouched humans. Runetouched humans are normal humans touched by magic at birth. Their rune covered skins grant them greater magical prowess, but also exposes them to the ravages of magic.
Runetouched humans are, like their human forebearers, quite varied in their personalities. However, they may grow up either excluded by their friends and family or exalted and told that they are different. This, combined with the magical might many possess, results in runetouched humans becoming haughty, gain superiority complexes, or become reclusive hermits. They truly live up to the stereotypes associated with wizards and other magicians.
A runetouched human is a normal human whose skin is covered partially or entirely in strange runes which appear around the onset of puberty, and get more numerous and darker as they age. Ancient runetouched humans are completely covered head to toe, even on the inside of their body and inscribed upon their bones. When casting magic these runes shift, glow, and express other manifestations of power. The runes have great meaning in magical studies, and some believe they can read the child's future by deciphering them.
A runetouched human, if not shunned by the society which raised them, is no different than another human of their type. However sadly this happens few and far between, resulting in those who would hide themselves away from the world to research magic, and those who would dominate the world with their magical powers.
Runetouched humans live in human lands, specifically those rich in magical powers and technology.
Runetouched humans generally are less pious than the average human. And why not, when one realizes that one has power already there is often little reason to ask for power from beyond.
Runetouched humans speak Common as is typical for human beings.
Runetouched humans are named the same as human beings, and in fact they are usually considered human until they first begin to show signs of the runic markings.
- -2 Strength or -2 Dexterity or -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma: Their bodies weaken when exposed to magical pollution, but their minds and spirits become as iron.
- Humanoid (Human): Runetouched humans are still of the human subtype.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a runetouched human has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Runetouched Human base land speed is 30 feet.
- Arcane Bond: A runetouched human gains a familiar as a wizard of their class level. Alternatively they may gain a bonded object instead, gaining spell slots in their bonded object as a wizard of their level. Spellcasters with less than 9 levels of spells can use the higher level spell slots in their bonded object to cast lower level or metamagic adjusted spells.
- Non-spellcasting runetouched humans also gain bonus spell slots from their bonded object as a wizard of their class level, but as they have no spells they cannot fill them. Instead, they can choose to be able to expunge the spell slot as part of an attack, dealing an additional +1d6 untyped damage per spell level used. For example, a 6th level runetouched human has a 3rd level slot they can burn to produce an additional +3d6 damage. Choosing if you want normal spell slots, or spell slots you can expunge for extra damage, is made at 1st level and cannot be changed.
- If the runetouched human obtains a familiar or bonded object, their are considered to have +4 levels to determine bonuses to the familiar or bonded object.
- Born Caster (Su): A runetouched human gains a +1 caster level on any magic they cast.
- Magic Talent (Ex): A runetouched human can activate any arcane spell item as if they were a 1st level arcane caster. For example, a Fighter 3 Runetouched Human could use a wand of magic missile (1st level) just fine.
- Magic Vulnerability (Ex): A runetouched human's magical powers come with a price. They take a -2 on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
- Skills: A runetouched human has a +2 bonus on Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft checks, and may use both untrained.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Choose one 0th level spell and one 1st level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. They may use the cantrip at will, and use the 1st level spell 2/day as a spell-like ability. The saving throws are based on their highest mental ability score.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages).
- Favored Class: Sorcerer or Wizard
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||60 years||80 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Sorcerer + and Wizard +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength or -2 Dexterity or -2 Constitution + and +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma +|
|Rated By||DraconicMan + and Fluffykittens +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Runetouched humans are normal humans touched by magic at birth. Their rune covered skins grant them greater magical prowess, but also exposes them to the ravages of magic. +|
|Title||Runetouched Human +|