SRD:Gnomes, Deep—Svirfneblin (Race)
|This article is about SRD:Gnome|
|For other uses of SRD:Gnome, see SRD:Gnome (disambiguation).|
|This material is published under the OGL|
Also see the gnome creature listing.
Also called deep gnomes, svirfneblin are said to dwell in great cities deep underground.
A svirfneblin has wiry, rock-colored skin usually medium brown to brownish gray. Only males are bald; females have stringy gray hair. The average svirfneblin lifespan is 250 years.
- –2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –4 Charisma.
- Humanoid (Gnome)
- Small: As a Small creature, a svirfneblin gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Svirfneblin base land speed is 20 feet.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants deep gnomes a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework. A deep gnome who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as though actively searching, and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A svirfneblin can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Darkvision: A svirfneblin can see in the dark up to 120 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a svirfneblin can function just fine with no light at all.
- Low-Light Vision: A svirfneblin can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Spell resistance equal to 11 + class levels.
- Weapon Familiarity: Svirfneblin may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- Nondetection (Su): A svirfneblin has a continuous nondetection ability as the spell (caster level equal to class levels).
- +2 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by svirfneblin. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against all creatures. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Hide checks, which improves to +4 underground.
- Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Gnome, Common.
- Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Terran.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—blindness/deafness, blur, disguise self. Caster level equals the svirfneblin’s class levels. The save DC is Charisma-based and include a +4 racial modifier.
- Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass svirfneblin’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
- Level Adjustment: +3
- Effective Character Level: 4
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3’ 0”||+2d4||40 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2’ 10”||+2d4||35 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||4 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Level Adjustment||3 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||–2 Strength +, +2 Dexterity +, +2 Wisdom + and –4 Charisma +|
|Summary||Also called deep gnomes, svirfneblin are said to dwell in great cities deep underground. +|
|Title||Gnomes, Deep—Svirfneblin +|