Shardmind (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A 3.5e rendition of the 4e PH3 race called the shardmind. This race is a psionic collection of crystals that materializes into humanoid form.
Read the 4e PH3 for all the fluff. I'm a bit concerned that this part of the race would be product identity, so it would be better for you to look to the actual books for the flavor.
The basic idea is that this race is a collection of sentient, psionic crystals that are able to transform into a humanoid form.
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
- Construct (Living Construct, Extraplanar)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a shardmind has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Shardmind base land speed is 30 ft. feet.
- Telepathy (Su): You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 60ft of you that has a language.
- Naturally Psionic (Ex): You gain 1 power point per HD you have.
- Vulnerability to Sonic Attacks (Ex): Shardminds, being composed of living crystal, are more vulnerable to sonic attacks than other creatures. They take 50% extra damage from such attacks. Shardminds take damage from the Shatter spell (see spell description for more details).
- Assume Form (Ex): (Ex): As a full-round action, you can switch between your swarm form and humanoid form (see below).
- Crystalline Body (Ex): You can incorporate any armor made from Mundane Crystal or Deep Crystal to be part of your swarm of crystals. It will break into smaller crystals when you enter your swarm form, but still convey its bonuses, and rematerialize into armor when you enter humanoid form. You can remove it in humanoid form and sell it or replace it if you want.
- Crystalline Weapon (Ex): You can incorporate any weapon made from Mundane Crystal or Deep Crystal to be part of your swarm of crystals. It will break into smaller crystals when you enter your swarm form but you can still make attacks normally with it because the weapon shards will actively slice your enemies. The weapon deals slashing damage when in swarm form, regardless of whatever types of damage it would normally do. When you enter humanoid form, the weapon will rematerialize and you can remove it and sell it or replace it if you want.
You can incorporate any number of such weapons you can carry as part of your swarm, but they still must be used as if they were wielded (so even in swarm form you are limited to wielding and using 2 weapons unless you get more arms somehow). Using ranged weapons while in swarm form causes them to become their actual shape immediately as they leave the swarm, so they deal their damage normally (ex. darts would deal piercing damage).
- Crystalline Containment (Ex): You can enclose up to your light load worth of equipment, its essence magically stored, inside crystals that are part of your swarm. This equipment appears back in its normal position when you assume humanoid form.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: None
- Favored Class: Psion
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
Shardminds can create a humanoid form from their crystal swarm. In humanoid form they have the following traits:
- Two natural claw attacks, which deal 1d4 slashing damage.
- Focused Attack (Ex): As a swift action, the Shardmind may spend 1 power point to make his claws function as Deep Crystal magical weapons for 5 rounds. The claws must still have power points channeled into them in order to deal extra damage; this ability just lets the shardmind's claws act as deep crystal.
- Deep Crystal Affinity (Ex): You can charge deep crystal further than normal. You can spend 1 PP to add an additional +1d6 damage when charging a deep crystal weapon. For every 3 HD you have you can spend an additional 1 PP to add +1d6 damage.
- Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a Shardmind, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
Shardminds can become a swarm of floating crystals, levitating 1 ft. off the ground up to a height of 5 ft. In swarm form they have the following traits:
- Can only take a standard action each round.
- Gains the swarm subtype. It becomes a diminutive-sized swarm, taking up a 10ft. square, with a 0ft. reach, and has the following traits (which override some of the default swarm traits):
- +4 size bonus to AC.
- Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
- Cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, and they cannot grapple an opponent.
- Takes half again as much damage (+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area, such as splash weapons and many evocation spells.
- Deals swarm damage based on HD (see Swarm Subtype).
- Takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons.
- Not immune to single target spells and effects.
- No distraction ability.
- Gains Power Resistance of 10 + HD.
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Psion +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Intelligence + and +2 Charisma +|
|Subtype||Living Construct, Extraplanar +|
|Summary||A 3.5e rendition of the 4e PH3 race called the shardmind. This race is a psionic collection of crystals that materializes into humanoid form. +|