Skandar (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Large, four-armed hairy aliens from a rugged land.
Brazen beasts of winter. Skandars are about seven feet tall, weigh 400 pounds and generally look like four-armed burly yetis. Skandars are covered in thick, insulating grayish blue woolly shag, darkening around their head and upper shoulders. Their faces sport short muzzles and elongate, but blunt, upper canines. Their teeth, as well as nails and eyes, are a fiery orange hue. A skandar can open his jaw quite far, and often does so to howl or bite into something (food or opponent). Skandars otherwise resemble those of upright girallons, whom they are closely related to.
Yet the main classifying feature of skandars is their extra pair of arms that connect to the side of their torso about a third of the way down his torso. This second pair is attached a bit closer to their back than their primary arms. A skandar's arms are powerfully muscular, ending in humanoid-like hands, with four fingers and two thumbs.
Most skandars also carry weapons for hunting, favoring those weapons which also double as tools, such as hammers and axes. Though, being dull and simplistic, they don't make these implements themselves, rather choosing to barter or acquire by force.
Skandars are essentially too wild as a group to get along with civilized races. Their rampant outbursts of destruction and disregard for the physical safety of others has placed them among "monsters" in the eyes of most folk.
Skandars are usually chaotic, but sometimes are lawful. Skandars usually don't believe in a universal right and wrong - good or bad in any action. They consider it to be all about perspective. They understand what host societies consider good or evil - but are usually not bound by the good/evil axis.
Skandars hail from a frigid and harsh land of ice and snow, thus are most at home in these conditions. Though, many skandars take to wandering, and their homeland of origin is just lousy with magic gates that lead far and wide. As such, may skandars get hopelessly lost in other places and worlds. Being tough, they grimace and adapt the best they can, but it certainly does nothing to sooth their tempers.
Skandars communities typically consist of a half-dozen to a dozen families living in a tightly-packed commune. Everyone who is able is expected to work, even the young. Those who are not willing to contribute are banished. Refusal to obey this order often leads to bloodshed.
These communities are semi-nomadic, and skandars pack up everything they own onto pack-animals, if they have them, every few months in search of new hunting grounds or to avoid harsh weather.
With such a low level of technology, they rely heavily on shamans for magic as a tool for everyday life.
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Skandars have strong and tough bodies, but are very hot-tempered – making them have a bit of a bad reputation among other races, and not always use the smartest decisions.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Xenotheric)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a skandar has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of skandars lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a skandar is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the skandar is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to the character. A skandar is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A skandar can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, the space and reach of a skandar remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Skandar base land speed is 40'.
- Low-Light Vision: A skandar can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Partial Scent: Skandar have a partial scent ability. A skandar can detect opponents by scent within 10 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 20 feet; if downwind, it drops to 5 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. When a skandar detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The skandar can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. Whenever the skandar come within 5 feet of the source, the skandar can pinpoints the source’s location.
- Racial Hit Dice: A skandar begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 HD, a BAB of +2, and saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: His monstrous humanoid levels give him skill points equal to (2+Int modifier, minimum 1) per HD, with quadruple skill points for the first HD. His class skills are: balance, climb, hide, intimidate, jump, listen, move silently, search, spot, survival and swim.
- Bonus Feat: A skandar’s monstrous humanoid levels give him one extra feat.
- Four Arms: A skandar has four arms, and as such, is eligible to take the multiweapon fighting feat.
- Bio-Energy (Ex): Xenotheric metabolism is capable of yielding large amounts of biological energy that can be used for different purposes. A xenotheric creature's bio-energy pool can hold a maximum amount of charges equal to 3 plus the Xenotheric creature's Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and recharges at a rate of 1 charge per minute. These charges may be expended to facilitate certain special powers. Some of these powers are exclusive to specific Xenotheric species, whereas others can be accessed through various Xenotheric feats.
- Telepathic Static(Ex) (1 bio-energy/round): Skandars lack the typical xenotheric telepathy, yet as a swift action, can emit a telepathic distortion in a radius of 40' that disrupts nearby telepathy for 2 rounds per Constitution modifier. Creatures attempting to communicate telepathically within or through the radius must make a Concentration check (DC10+1/2HD+Constitution modifier) or be unable to receive telepathic communication.
- Blood Fury (Ex) (3 bio-energy/round): Whenever a skandar sustains damage they may enter into a wild rage. The skandar temporarily gains a +2 bonus to Strength, a +2 bonus to Constitution, and a +1 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. This can be treated as rage for prerequisites, and stacks with other rage and rage like effects.
- Face Bite (Ex): Whenever a skandar pins an opponent in a grapple, he gains a bite attack as a primary natural weapon that deals 1d8 damage against that opponent as long as he keeps this opponent pinned within the grapple. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the skandar’s full attack bonus, and its damage includes his full Strength modifier.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Giant.
- Bonus Languages: Terran, Orc, Goblin, Gnome, Dwarven.
- Favored Class: Barbarian, or Apex (if in a futuristic setting)
- Paragon Class: Evolutionist
- Common Classes: Pseudonaught, Shape Eater, Threat, Zweiręka
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||40 years||60 years||+4d6 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6’ 5”||+2d6||300 lb.||× (3d6) lb.|
|Female||6’ 2”||+2d6||280 lb.||× (3d4) lb.|
|Author||Franken Kesey +|
|Effective Character Level||3 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian + and Apex +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Summary||Large, four-armed hairy aliens from a rugged land. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|