Starborn (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Starborn are wandering magic-users and scientists.
Starborn tend to be a little cool due to the simple fact that most seek to emulate their creator Erreun in some way. Also they tend to view the world as a laboratory in which to perform various experiments.
Starborn culture is ruled by reason first and foremost. However, as a whole, they are more accepting of other folk, judging by a creature's actions and ideas rather than by its race.
Starborn stand around six feet tall and weigh about 121 pounds with females being slightly smaller and lighter than males. Male starborn cannot grow beards and both males and females tend to have extremely long silvery or golden hair. Starborn tend to have metallic colored irises. Starborn skin is colored like the night sky and is covered with star-like spots that mimic constellations. Starborn typically use advanced technology (unless performing experiments requiring lower technology gear).
Starborn Anatomy and physiology
Starborn are endothermic (with an average body temperature of 103° F), omnivorous, silicon-carbon-based lifeforms based on the human form. The main external difference to humans is their skin, which is stiffer and lacks sweat glands. A starborn's interior anatomy vastly differs from humans in a number of important ways including nano-diamond bones and teeth, a matter-energy conversion engine in place of a stomach, a gravivesic (a specialized organ used for localized manipulation of gravity) located in the lower abdomen, a hermaphroditic reproductive system as well as cardiovascular system that circulates energy instead of blood.
Starborn get along well with most races. However, they are reserved and wary around cruel and malevolent races, due to tendency to judge people on actions and ideas rather than origin.
Starborn prefer neutrality due to their scientific nature.
Starborn are comfortable in most places. Some older starborn are even known to live in stars and the empty places between galaxies. Starborn hail from the Planet Indunius which is also the home of their creator Erreun.
Almost all Starborn worship at lest one of the gods of the starborn Pantheon or the entire pantheon with the exception of the Mad God Dorjan.
Starborn speak Common, Starborn (a unique language based on magical writing and scientific jargon), and many addition languages picked up during interaction with others (excluding secret languages such as Druidic).
Starborn often name their children after people of other races that they are impressed by. However, upon reaching adulthood, some Starborn choose to take a different name that suits them, making John just as likely a name as Gliblik.
- -2 Dexterity, +2 constitution,: A starborn's nano-diamond bones are durable but hard to move.
- Outsider (Xenotheric), (Air), (Earth): Starborn are an artificial race created to dwell in nearly any environment.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Starborn has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Starborn base land speed is 20 feet: Base Hover speed 30 feet (perfect).
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Encumbered Maneuvering (Ex): Starborn can Fly and Hover at full speed even while carrying a medium load and Flies and Hovers at encumbered speed with a heavy load.
- Natural Linguist (Ex): At every odd level above first a starborn adds one language s/he has encountered in his/her travels.
- Fast Metabolism (Ex): Starborn require four times as much food as humans, eating less results in normal starvation rules, eating nothing quadruples effects (i.e. DC 10, +4 for each previous check) or take 4d6 points of nonlethal damage. Starborn do not require sleep.
- Bioreactor (Ex): Starborn do not require sleep or water, and can eat any form matter provided they can swallow it (so they can't eat a sword but they could eat iron filings).
- Breathless (Ex): Starborn don’t need to breathe.
- Superior Literacy (Ex): Starborn are always literate, regardless of their character class. Speak Language is always a class skill for Starborn, regardless of class.
- Telepathy (Ex): 100 feet.
- Energy Resistances (Ex): A starborn has energy resistance 10 to electricity and acid
- Temperature resistance (Ex): Starborn are unaffected by temperatures between –50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit as per SRD:Endure Elements.
- Bio-energy Pool (Ex): As xenotheric creatures a starborn has a pool of bio-energy which it can employ for various purposes
- Bio-energy Dependence (Ex): If a starborn’s bio-energy is ever reduced to zero they immediately begin to starve, while starving bio-energy doesn’t recover.
- Vulnerability to Sonic (Ex): A starborn Take 50% more damage from sonic attacks due to their crystalline bone structure.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Starborn, and one language (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Starborn Racial Paragon
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|18 female/ 20 male years||+1d4||+1d6||+1d8|
Reproduction: Starborn reproduce through either magic (allowing reproduction with any living, sexually mature, sentient creature with an intelligence of at least 5) or sexual intimacy producing 1-4 offspring (never more naturally).
Development & Growth:
Embryonic: A starborn takes 410 to 430 days to be born.
Childhood: Starborn childhood lasts from birth to puberty.
Puberty: Starborn puberty occurs sometime between 8 to 15 years of age and lasts one full year (roll 1d8+7 to determine the year randomly). During this time, starborn develop the remainder of their innate abilities (Darkvision and encumbered hovering).
Adolescence: Lasts from puberty to adulthood.
Adulthood: A starborn female becomes an adult at 18 years while a male becomes an adult at 20 years. At this time, their reproductive capacity is activated.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5'0"||+2d12||85 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d12||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Dexterity + and +2 constitution +|
|Rated By||Foxwarrior +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Subtype||Xenotheric +, Air + and Earth +|
|Summary||Starborn are wandering magic-users and scientists. +|