Svi (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Creatures which came from the great void of the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum, these creatures claim to be outsiders native to that otherwise empty realm. However, the truth of what they are, or were, is lost to history.
The svi have muted emotions, their minds consumed by grim and silent determination, utility, and uncaring natures. This is not to say they are without emotions, wants, or needs and sometimes some find very specific niches they will fall prey to or indulge in. It is a terrible psychological desire to fill a need that can never be quenched or satisfied, and such efforts always result in failure. Thus, quiet contentment with their lack is promoted among their culture. The highest one can achieve is to care for nothing, to want for nothing, and to be nothing. To this end, they often come off as alien, unempathetic, and unsympathetic to other thinking creatures around them, and they find more kinship with mindless beasts and constructs than men.
The svi are humanoid in shape, with exteriors of gray, brown, blue, black, and purple skin, various shades for hair color, and no faces. In place where a face should be exists only a hollow empty void that seems to extend far deeper than geometry permits. From within this void echoes their voice, and they can see and act as if they actually had eyes. The black space that is their face is sometimes lit with distant lights as if looking upon a field of stars. Their bodies bleed, but the substance is not normal blood but an unknown and rapidly evaporating black runny tar.
It is unclear if there is any relation between the Svi and the heuco, but current theories point to no. They claim to be natives to the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum, and their typing does suggest it. However some suggest that they were once a more humanoid race, perhaps even human, and had spent so long in the void that they fundamentally changed to what they are today.
Due to their uncaring nature, relating to other creatures is difficult at best. This as resulted in isolation, with svi interacting only for business and utility when needed. Out of all species, the only one they seem to understand are the illithid who also possess a similar alien mindset to them, minus the innately hostile need to devour brains.
The svi strongly associate themselves with neutrality, but it can be tinged with various states of how to achieve this balance that throw them off the norm.
The svi arrived to the material world when a great planar ark crashed upon the world, releasing the known population of the svi on the world. The populace claimed they were residents of the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum, where they rode their colossal arkships as the rare floating aspect of matter in the otherwise featureless plane. Thus, they have no lands to call their own and are strangers in a strange land.
Svi do not believe in gods, for the overwhelming feeling amongst them in the lack in all things, including a lack of meaning or higher purpose. If there is anything resembling a religion belief, it is a desire to achieve a zen-like state of peace with all things.
The Svi speak Common and Svi, which appears to be a mix of celestial and abyssal languages.
The svi care little for what they are called, and prefer short simple names.
- +2 to any attribute, -2 to any attribute: Svi are well balanced, and either come with a minor benefit and drawback, or none at all.
- Outsider (Native): Svi are considered native to both the prime material and the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum. They have no problems surviving the void.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a svi has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Svi base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A svi can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a svi can function just fine with no light at all.
- Immunities (Ex): Svi are immune to sleep effects.
- Muted Self (Ex): Svi are resistant to emotional manipulation, and take half benefit (minimum 0) on any morale bonuses or penalties from mind-affecting effects, including fear. They also have a +2 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.
- Negation (Su): When afflicted by a magical status effect, a svi can take a standard action (even if they normally are unable) to make a targeted greater dispel magic check against one effect they are suffering from. They can only attempt this once per effect, and only against a single effect at a time. They use their character level as their caster level.
- Skills: Svi have a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks, but a +2 bonus on Bluff and Intimidate checks.
- Svi Biology (Ex): Unlike most native outsiders, svi do not breathe, eat, or sleep. They do not suffer from any environmental effects of the void, including lack of pressure. In zero-gravity environments their land speed becomes a fly speed (perfect).
- Voice of the Void (Ex): Svi do not speak with normal means. They can speak in the void, when gagged, or even in a silence spell, though more complicated vocal components (such as spellcasting) are still disrupted by these methods.
- Void Blood (Ex): While not undead, svi have more in common with the hungry void of the negative energy plane than normal vibrant life. They heal from negative energy and are harmed by positive energy, and act as undead for the purposes of negative levels.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Svi
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||100 years||150 years||+5d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 0"||+2d12||120 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d12||100 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute + and -2 Any Attribute +|
|Summary||Creatures which came from the great void of the quasi-elemental plane of vacuum, these creatures claim to be outsiders native to that otherwise empty realm. However, the truth of what they are, or were, is lost to history. +|