Swashbuckler, Foxwarrior Variant (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A Swashbuckler class, designed to make it easy to directly convert from STDoc's variant. 12 1 Good Good Good Poor Other Full
Lawful Good Lawful Neutral Lawful Evil Neutral Good Neutral Neutral Evil Chaotic Good Chaotic Neutral Chaotic Evil
Note: this class was inspired by the STDoc's Swashbuckler.
A swashbuckler is one who engages in daring and romantic adventures with ostentatious bravado and flamboyance. They are also masters of the use of foppish gentleman's weaponry.
Making a Swashbuckler
The Swashbuckler is adept at melee combat and various acrobatic maneuvers.
Abilities: Swashbucklers use Dexterity, as well as one mental stat.
Races: Any race capable of wielding the weapons of a noble can have members who practice the art of swashbuckling. However, the races who are currently in power in the area generally have the greatest number of swashbucklers.
Starting Gold: 4d6×10 gp (140 gp).
Starting Age: Simple.
All of the following are class features of the Swashbuckler.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Swashbucklers are proficient with simple weapons, as well as all light and one-handed weapons. Swashbucklers are proficient in light armor.
Style: At first level, the Swashbuckler chooses one of the following three styles.
Smart Swashbuckler: The Swashbuckler deals extra damage with weapons wielded in one hand equal to his Intelligence modifier, so long as he has one hand empty.
Zen Swashbuckler: The Swashbuckler deals extra damage with weapons wielded in one hand equal to his Wisdom modifier, so long as he has one hand empty.
Charming Swashbuckler: The Swashbuckler deals extra damage with weapons wielded in one hand equal to his Charisma modifier, so long as he has one hand empty.
Greater Weapon Finesse: The Swashbuckler may use his Dexterity modifier instead of Strength modifier for attack rolls, damage, and special combat maneuvers with any weapon held in one hand or unarmed attack.
AC Bonus: At second level, the Swashbuckler gets a bonus to armor class according to his chosen style. This bonus does not stack with bonuses to armor class generated from the same ability score.
Smart Swashbuckler: The Swashbuckler adds his Intelligence modifier to his armor class.
Zen Swashbuckler: The Swashbuckler adds his Wisdom modifier to his armor class.
Charming Swashbuckler: The Swashbuckler adds his Charisma modifier to his armor class.
Swashbuckling: At second level, the Swashbuckler deals 1d6 extra points of precision damage with any attack he makes with a one-handed or light weapon, so long as he has one hand empty. This bonus damage increases by 1d6 every two levels.
Stylish Trick: At third level and every three levels thereafter, the Swashbuckler may get either one ability from his style's list below, or a bonus feat for which he meets the prerequisites. No ability may be chosen more than once, unless otherwise noted.
- Anticipate (Ex): Once per round, the Swashbuckler can force one attack that would otherwise hit him to miss instead.
- Intelligent Assault: Once per round, the Swashbuckler may treat one of his attacks as a touch attack. He gets a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
- Cunning Feint (Ex): The Swashbuckler adds his Intelligence modifier to checks made to feint. Whenever a creature is successfully feinted against, that creature provokes an attack of opportunity from the Swashbuckler.
- Lore of Many Places: The Swashbuckler can identify items and creatures on sight.
- A Mind as Sharp as Their Blade: The Swashbuckler chooses two skills. He gets a bonus to those two skills equal to twice his class level. This ability may be selected multiple times. Each time, the Swashbuckler chooses two different skills. Tome of Prowess Version: The Swashbuckler gets a +2 bonus to two skills of his choice. This ability may be selected multiple times. Each time, the Swashbuckler chooses two different skills.
- Quick Reflexes, Quicker Wit: The Swashbuckler gets a bonus to Reflex saves equal to his Intelligence modifier. He also gains Evasion. If he already has Evasion, it stacks to Improved Evasion.
- Zen Defense (Ex): While fighting defensively or taking the total defense action, the Swashbuckler's AC Bonus doubles, and he gets a bonus to saving throws equal to his Wisdom modifier.
- Intuitive Strike (Ex): The Swashbuckler gets a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to his Wisdom modifier.
- All Things are One (Ex): The Swashbuckler may use his Wisdom modifier instead of any other ability modifier for skill checks and ability checks. Tome of Prowess Version: Choose two ability scores. The Swashbuckler may use his Wisdom modifier instead of the modifiers derived from those two scores for skill checks and ability checks.
- Willful Resilience: The Swashbuckler gets a bonus to Fortitude saves equal to his Wisdom modifier, and whenever he successfully makes a Will or Fortitude save against an ability that has a partial effect on a successful save, he is unaffected instead.
- Eyes in the Back of Your Head: The Swashbuckler can't be flanked or caught flat-footed, and is not denied his Dexterity bonus to AC against invisible opponents. He always acts during the surprise round, and gets a bonus to Initiative equal to his Wisdom modifier.
- Life is an Illusion: The Swashbuckler automatically disbelieves all illusions, whether or not he has a reason to.
- Fan Club (Ex): The Swashbuckler gains the benefit of the Leadership feat, with a bonus 50% followers of each level (rounded down) that must be of the opposite gender. Only Swashbucklers of character level 6 or higher can take this trick.
- Flamboyant Strike (Ex): When the Swashbuckler successfully feints in combat, the target is denied their Dexterity bonus to AC until the end of the Swashbuckler's next turn. In addition, the Swashbuckler deals extra damage equal to his Charisma modifier plus his class level to creatures who are denied their Dexterity bonus to AC.
- Seducing the Crowd (Ex): As a standard action, the Swashbuckler can force any number of targets within 40 ft. + 10 ft./level to make a Will save (DC 10 +half character level +Charisma modifier) or have their attitude towards the Swashbuckler improve by one step for 5 minutes. Creatures who were hostile to the Swashbuckler are frightened for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma bonus (minimum 1) instead. No creature has to make a save against this effect more than once every five minutes. This is a [Mind-Affecting] effect; against hostile creatures, it is also a [Fear] effect.
- Undress Opponents: Once per round as a free or immediate action, the Swashbuckler can make a melee attack. If it hits, instead of dealing damage, one item equipped but not held by the target falls off.
- Unnerving Strike: When the Swashbuckler downs an opponent, all opponents with equal or lesser CR within 40 ft. + 10 ft./level who are aware of this must make a Will save (DC 10 +half character level +Charisma modifier) or be frightened for a number of rounds equal to the Swashbuckler's Charisma bonus (minimum 1).
- Silver-Tongued Blade: The Swashbuckler gets a bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks equal to twice his class level. Tome of Prowess Version: The Swashbuckler gets a +2 bonus to Affability, Bluff, and Intimidation checks.
Sidestep (Ex): At level 5 the Swashbuckler may move 5 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity once per round as a free or immediate action. This increases by 5 feet every three levels.
Acrobatic Charge (Ex): A level 6 Swashbuckler ignores difficult terrain, and cannot be entangled.
Supreme Charge (Ex): A level 7 Swashbuckler does not have to move in a straight line when he runs or charges.
Trick Swings (Ex): Whenever a level 7 Swashbuckler deals damage to an opponent with a melee attack, if he was using a weapon in one hand, and had one hand empty, he may force the opponent to make a Reflex save (DC 10 +half character level +Dexterity modifier). If they fail, the Swashbuckler chooses one effect to apply to them: drop everything they are holding in one of their hands; fall prone; or be moved 5 feet in any direction. No target may be forced to save more than once against this effect each round.
At level 11, the Swashbuckler may choose two. They may be the same two, but durations do not add.
Duelist Spirit (Ex): A level 8 Swashbuckler who succeeds on a Will save against an effect that offers a Will save, he is completely unaffected by it. If the Swashbuckler has Willful Resilience, when he fails a Will save against an ability that has a partial effect on a successful Will save, he takes the partial effect instead.
Swashbuckling a Rock (Ex): A level 9 Swashbuckler can ignore Fortification and immunity to critical hits. His [Mind-Affecting] and [Fear] effects function normally on creatures who are immune to [Mind-Affecting] and [Fear] effects.
|Allowed Alignments||Lawful Good +, Lawful Neutral +, Lawful Evil +, Neutral Good +, Neutral +, Neutral Evil +, Chaotic Good +, Chaotic Neutral + and Chaotic Evil +|
|Article Balance||Very High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Good +|
|Class Ability||Other +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Good +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Balance +, Bluff +, Climb +, Craft +, Diplomacy +, Disguise +, Escape Artist +, Gather Information +, Hide +, Intimidate +, Jump +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Move Silently +, Perform +, Profession +, Search +, Sense Motive +, Spellcraft +, Spot +, Survival +, Swim +, Tumble + and Use Rope +|
|Skill Points||10 +|
|Summary||A Swashbuckler class, designed to make it easy to directly convert from STDoc's variant. +|
|Title||Swashbuckler, Foxwarrior Variant +|
|ToP Skill||Acrobatics +, Affability +, Athletics +, Bluff +, Cultures +, Devices +, Jump +, Legerdemain +, Perception +, Psychology +, Stealth + and Transformation +|
|Will Save Progression||Poor +|