Tortle (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A 3.5e/PF conversion for the 5e Tortle race. Tortles are humanoid turtle people born with powerful thick shells, deep lung capacity, and natural defenses. They can vary from lithe and nimble soft shell turtles to heavy and broad walking tanks. They stand between 5 and 6 ft tall, and weigh an average of 450 lbs, with their shell accounting for a third of their weight.
- +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom: Strong and burly, their shells do hamper their flexibility. They keep a keen sense of their surroundings, even when in their shell.
- Humanoid (Reptilian): Tortles are turtle people, and thus reptiles.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a tortle has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Tortle base land speed is 30 feet. Swim 20 ft
- Feral Strike (Claws): Tortles have a feral strike (claws) which deals 1d6 + Strength in slashing damage, 19-20/x2. It may count as having proficiency in unarmed strikes, and you may use your unarmed strike damage if higher.
- Hold Breath (Ex): Tortles can hold their breath for 1 hour.
- Monstrous Body: The body type of the tortle requires armor to be uniquely fit to them. Armor costs are for monstrous creatures.
- Shell Armor (Ex): Tortle shells grant a +5 armor bonus, and their shells may be enhanced as if it were light armor. It comes with no Max Dex or arcane spell failure, but innate -2 armor check penalty. If you wear magic armor, enhancements to your shell is suppressed. It does not count as armor for the purposes of classes such as monk.
- Shell Defense (Ex): As a move action a tortle can retract into their shell, increasing their shell armor bonus by another +4, gain +4 Stability (as a dwarf, and rolls twice and takes the better result on any Fortitude saves and Constitution ability and skill checks. However they are immobile (speed 0 ft) and prone, do not threaten, cannot use somatic components, and roll twice on Reflex saves and takes the worse result. You can emerge from your shell as a swift action, and if you stand from prone in the same round you get a +4 dodge bonus on any attacks of opportunity you provoke for doing so.
- Survival Instinct: Tortles have a +2 bonus on Survival checks, and Survival is always a class skill.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan
- Bonus Languages: Any Non-Secret
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Heavy Build: The tortle's land speed drops to 20 ft, but they gain a dwarf's ability to move in medium and heavy armor and medium and heavy loads without slowing. Their shell armor rises to a +6 bonus and counts as medium armor with a Max Dex of 4 and -4 armor check penalty. They gain a +4 Stability bonus as a dwarf, which stacks with the bonus from Shell Defense.
Sea Turtle: The tortle's land speed drops to 20 ft, but their swim speed increases to 40 ft, and they can hold their breath for 1 hour per Constitution modifier (minimum 1 hour).
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, -2 Dexterity + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||A 3.5e/PF conversion for the 5e Tortle race. +|