Valkyrie (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
This article obviously take some liberties with the original myth of the Valkyrie to adapt it to Dungeon and Dragon.
The winged women of Ysgard, who serve as the chooser of the slain, their caretaker, mead maid and even sometime lovers when the carousing start. These blessed being possess great magical powers and roam the material plane, seeking the worthy to become einherjars. A Valkyrie usually take the appearance of a mortal woman, with large feathered wings.
Similar to the einherjars, most valkyrie were once mortal, at least partially in their case. A Valkyrie is born from soul of a warrior woman fused with the planar energy of Ysgard. The valkyrie does not remember much of her old life and is then set to serve as the Agent of Ysgard on the material plane. However the process is not flawless, leading to strange valkyries being born. The actual process or how the souls are selected are unknown.
This flawed process and the need for them to be able to be native to the material lead to all kind of Valkyries existing. It is possible for a lawful evil valkyrie to come into existence, or one made from the soul of a sorceress instead of a warrior or a valkyrie who remember her old life. These strange valkyries are accepted by the Ysgardians neverthless, as the quest for the souls of brave warriors is more important than petty mortal quarrels.
Typically Valkyries will take their duty seriously, but some take it half-heartily and prefer to adventure and party on the material plane. This typically disappoint and anger their valkyrie sisters, therefore they at least try to find a few good warrior soul to take back.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: A Valkyries are the agents of Ysgard on the material plane, essentially lesser angels. They possess great grace, endurance and an innate wisdom.
- Outsider (Native): Unlike most other living creatures, a valkyrie does not have a dual nature; her soul and body form one unit. When an valkyrie is slain, no soul is set loose. Valkyrie can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Valkyrie gain the Extraplanar subtype when not on Ysgard or the Material Plane. She is a resident of both planes.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a valkyrie has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Valkyrie base land speed is 30 feet. A Valkyrie possess a fly speed of 40 feet with average maneuverability.
- Darkvision: A valkyrie can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a valkyrie can function just fine with no light at all.
- A Valkyrie is proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as with armor (light, medium, and heavy) and shields. If she take a level in a class that grant all simple and martial weapon, she gain a free exotic weapon proficiency.
- Agent of Ysgard: A valkyrie is an agent of the plane of Ysgard on the material plane, and thus are given more leeway. A Valkyrie can be of any alignment and never take alignment-based penalties when on Ysgard. A Valkyrie may plane shift (self and equipment only) to Ysgard or from Ysgard to the Material Plane once per day over the course of 10 minutes.
- Blessed Mead (Su): Once per minute a valkyrie may turn a mug worth of water into mead, it must be consumed within the hour or else it turn back into water. Once per hour, a creature that consume the mead it regain hit points equal to it HD. When this blessed mead is used as part of a Einherjar's Restorative Carousing both effect restore twice as much hit points.
- Chooser of the Slain (Su): A Valkyrie is under the constant effect of deathwatch, except that it does not pierce illusions. She may also use detect alignment and detect power level at-will, however she only gain reading on creature with 0 or less hit points. Once per month, as a standard action they may send a willing dying creature to Ysgard, turning them into Einhenjar instead of petitioners. A Einhenjar retain all their ability in life, unlike a petitioner. This fate is usually reserved only to brave chaotic good warriors, and a Valkyrie loath to waste this ability on the unworthty.
- Lady of the Beasts (Su): A Valkyrie is always under the effect of speak with animals but only with horses, ravens and swans. If a Valkyrie gain a Animal Companion or Special Mount it automatically gain a fly speed equal to the Valkyrie's, unless it already possessed a better fly speed.
- Racial Hit Dice: A valkyrie begins with three levels of Outsider, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skill: A valkyrie's outsider levels give her skill points equal to 7 x (8 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Appraise, Climb, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (the planes), Perform, Survival, Swim, and Tumble.
- Racial Feat: A valkyrie's outsider levels give her two feats.
- Unseen Observer (Su): Over the course of a minute, a valkyrie may make herself invisible. While she does so, she cannot perform any actions except passive observation, moving or using her Chooser of the Slain ability. If she perform any action other than those her invisibility is immediately dismissed before she complete the action, spoiling any surprise attack or theft. Otherwise the effect last indefinitely. While she is invisible to all creature, she can be seen normally by creatures at 0 hit points or lower.
- Winged Victory (Ex): A Valkyrie is an expert on fighting while flying, she gain Flyby Attack as a bonus feat and gain a +1 bonus on attacks rolls while fighting airborn. A valkyrie's wings do not interfered with her armor and she can hide within herself or retract them as a standard action, altough she lose her fly speed while her wings are hidden.
- Automatic Languages: Celestial Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Favored Class: Fighter or Paladin
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Effective Character Level||3 +|
|Favored Class||Fighter + and Paladin +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Dexterity +, +2 Constitution +, +2 Wisdom + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||The Agents of Ysgard on the material plane, Valkyries seek the soul of dying brave warriors to send to Ysgard. +|