Dionaea (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A race of carnivorous plant-men with similarities to fly-traps and other flesh eating plants.
Dionaea are an incredibly violent people. Personal disputes are solved with duels. Dionaea have become a nomadic hunt based society since their people developed independent locomotion. The Dionaea are not social. They are men of few words, often speaking only what is absolutely necessary. Additionally, due to the lack of intimacy between Dionaea they have not developed the concept of love or even kinship. Dionaea often live completely alone, seeking others out only during mating season.
The Dionaea are tall, standing above many other humanoids at almost 8 feet tall. The Dionaea are lanky, having thin bodies and spindly limbs covered in many small hairs that are barely visible. Their skin is often a light green color due to their plant heritage. The hands of the Dionaea are incredibly sharp, often used to dig through tough carapaces of their favorite meals: Monstrous Beetles and Diopsids. The Dionaea's most unique feature, however, is their head. Starting from the base of the neck are two appendages covering their head like a closed Venus Flytrap. Unlike the Flytrap the flimsy plant matter has evolved into something more fitting of their hunter culture. The teeth like structures are much tougher and sharper and are often used to bite into enemies but is not actually used for eating. Opening the tooth filled folds reveals their true head. It is unlike heads of other humanoids in that it is mostly eyes and mouth. The Dionaea have a ring of eyes on their round head that are constantly flitting about, taking in everything around them and constantly searching for prey. The Dionaea have a single mouth in the front of their head that takes up the majority of their face. The mouth is so large that it seems to unhinge when opened fully. It's mouth is a Dionaea's most expressive feature, picking up the slack for the lack of other expressive features. There is no discernible difference between male and female to a non Dionaea. Dionaea differentiate male and female due to small differences any other would miss, such as the taste of the air around them.
Dionaea, for good reason, are thought of poorly by many other races. Their extremely violent nature causes the more civilized or peaceful races to look down upon them, and even other violent races such as Orcs may consider them to be rivals competing for territory. Dionaea often find themselves in gladiatorial arenas after being captured by other races, or are executed after first contact with their aggressive nature. Many even doubt their sapience.
Most lie on the Neutral spectrum, leaning toward the chaotic. While they are aggressive and primitive and similar to Orcs the Dionaea are not inherently evil. Their violent nature is a symptom of environment and being reacted to by most humanoids as monsters. Their goals and means are often exhibited by animals and barbarians who are overwhelmingly neutral parties.
Dionaea are a nomadic people with no societies of their own. Dionaea are found wherever their prey of choice can be found. They prefer Diopsids and Monstrous Beetles as their primary source of food but will eat any arachnids or insects regardless of size. They seemingly either do not understand, or do not care, if creatures like Driders, Diopsids, or Scorpionfolk are truly sapient and continue to serve as natural predators for them.
Dionaea have no set religion. If any worship it is often a god of the hunt or nature itself.
Dionaea speak a strange language of their own known as Diona. It is similar to the Sylvan spoken by Adu'ja, and some believe the Dionaea and Adu'ja have an ancestral line coming together at some point in the past, which the Adu'ja deny fervently.
Dionaea have little use for names, often differentiated by scent by other Dionaea. If, somehow, they are befriended by a non Dionaea they will accept a name given to them by their friend.
- +2 Strength, -4 Charisma: These carnivorous plants are strong as to rip large prey apart alone but their isolation and lack of social ability causes their force of personality to be weak.
- Plant: Dionaea are just like normal humanoid plants except they do eat meat instead of relying solely on the sun. Additionally, they are similar enough to other humanoids that they are not immune to mind affecting effects.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a dionaea has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Dionaea base land speed is 30 feet.
- Adhesive Hairs: The small hairs covering the Dionaea are covered in a special adhesive material created naturally by the Dionaea give them a +4 to resist being disarmed and a +4 to grapple their opponents. Unfortunately this also makes them easier to grab and gives them a -4 to resist grabs.
- Natural Attacks: The Dionaea have two 1d4 claw attacks and a 1d8 bite attack. The bite attack is their primary natural attack. Additionally, due to the adhesive in their "mouth" they may half the damage of their bite attack to initiate a grapple using their bite attack and they gain a +4 to the grapple check. This stacks with Adhesive Hairs. Each turn that they hold an enemy in the grapple they may deal half their bite damage to the grappled victim each turn.
- Carnivorous Plant: Dionaea only need to eat half what a human does so long as they receive 4 hours of sunlight per day. They may survive without the sunlight but must eat double what the average human does. If they do not receive sunlight for 2 months they lose all green color in their body. They are instead a pale off white color. This gives no mechanical effect.
- Dionaea gain a +10 to disguise to blend in with the natural foliage in an area, so long as it is heavily vegetated.
- +2 to Survival and Hide checks.
- Fire Vulnerability: Dionaea take 50% extra damage from fire
- Automatic Languages: Diona, Common
- Bonus Languages: Any that would realistically make sense where they live in the setting you put them in. Often Drow due to the abundance of spiders to prey on, whatever the Diopsid speak, and Thri-Kreen.
- Favored Class: Barbarian, Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|1 years||+1d4 years||+1d8 years||+1d12 years|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||200 years||300 years||+1d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7' 0"||+1d12||130 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||7' 0"||+1d12||130 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Barbarian + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength + and -4 Charisma +|
|Summary||A race of carnivorous plant-men with similarities to fly-traps and other flesh eating plants. +|