| This material is published under the OGL
Also see the gnome creature listing.
They are the smallest of all the gnomes, averaging 2 to 2-1/2 feet in height, but look just like regular gnomes except with bark-colored or gray-green skin, and eyes that can be brown or green as well as blue. A very long-lived people, forest gnomes have an average life expectancy of 500 years.
- –2 Strength, +2 Constitution.
- Humanoid (Gnome)
- Small: As a Small creature, a forest gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Forest gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A forest gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Weapon Familiarity: Forest gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- Pass without Trace (Su): A forest gnome has the innate ability to use pass without trace (self only, as a free action) as the spell cast by a druid of the forest gnome’s class levels.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
- Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by forest gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against goblinoids, orcs, and reptilian humanoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
- +4 racial bonus on Hide checks, which improves to +8 in a wooded area.
- Automatic Languages: Gnome, Elven, Sylvan, and a simple language that enables them to communicate on a very basic level with forest animals.
- Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc.
- Spell-Like Abilities: A forest gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + forest gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
- Favored Class: Bard. A multiclass forest gnome’s bard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Table: Forest Gnome Random Starting Ages
| 40 years
Table: Forest Gnome Aging Effects
| Middle Age1
|| Maximum Age
| 100 years
|| 150 years
|| 200 years
|| +3d% years
Table: Forest Gnome Random Height and Weight
|| Base Height
|| Height Modifier
|| Base Weight
|| Weight Modifier
|| 1’ 11”
|| 40 lb.
|| × (1) lb.
|| 1’ 9”
|| 35 lb.
|| × (1) lb.
Back to Main Page → System Reference Document → Races