Canon:Kitiara Uth Matar
|This article is based on material by:|
Kitiara Uth-Matar is a character from the Dragonlance campaign setting created by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. She is the daughter of a disgraced Solamnic Knight named Gregor Uth Matar and his first wife, Rosamun. She is also the half-sister of Raistlin and Caramon Majere.
Kitiara, or Kit, is a beautiful, skilled warrior and, above all else, she is cold and calculating. Power-hungry, she has never been truly able to call someone a friend. In many ways, she and Raistlin are much alike. Neither would hesitate to betray an ally if presented with a guarantee at supreme power.
During the War of the Lance, Kitiara became a Dragon Highlord, with Skie as her personal dragon. While in Flotsam, she found Tanis disguised as one of her own soldiers and assumed that he too had enlisted. This meeting rekindled their feelings for each other, and she encouraged Tanis to stay with her as her lover. But Tanis came to his senses shortly after, and fled from Kitiara in self-disgust to rejoin his companions on their flight into the Blood Sea.
In the North, Kitiara led an attack on the High Clerist's Tower, the defence of which was commanded by Sturm Brightblade and the elven princess Laurana. In the course of battle, Kitiara killed Sturm and was recognized by Laurana and Tasslehoff Burrfoot.
Later on, in the climax of the War, Kitiara offered Tanis the chance to become her lover forever. He refused in favor of Laurana, whom he trusted and loved in truth. Kitiara therefore allowed them to escape from her and the other Highlords.
After the War of the Lance, Kitiara led her Dragonarmy against the city of Palanthas in the so-called Blue Lady's War, hoping to allow her half-brother Raistlin back into the world from the Abyss in his quest to defeat the Dark Queen, Takhisis. It was at this time that Kitiara was mortally wounded by Raistlin's apprentice, Dalamar, who had to stop his master's entry into the material plane. As she died, Kitiara realized that the death knight - Lord Soth - wished for her to become his undead companion, and beseeched Tanis Half-Elven to keep her soul safe. Faced with dying himself and losing his elven bride, Laurana, Tanis let the last of his human insecurities go when he allowed Soth to claim Kit's body.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Jamie Chambers (2004). War of the Lance. Sovereign Press. ISBN 193156714X. pp. 259-261 (as Blue Dragon Highlord).
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (November 1984). Dragons of Autumn Twilight. TSR. ISBN 0-88038-173-6.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (1985). Dragons of Winter Night. TSR. ISBN 0-88038-174-4.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (1985). Dragons of Spring Dawning. TSR. ISBN 0-88038-175-2.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (February 1986). Time of the Twins. TSR. ISBN 0-7869-1804-7.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (May 1986). War of the Twins. TSR. ISBN 0-7869-1805-5.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (August 1986). Test of the Twins. TSR. ISBN 0-88038-267-8.
- Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman (February 1994). The Second Generation. TSR. ISBN 0-7869-2694-5.