Kusarigama (3.5e Equipment)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
| A kusarigama used by an ancient clan of|
Exotic Two-Handed Thrown Melee
1. See Damage Increases by Size to calculate the damage for a weapon larger than Medium or smaller than Small.
2. Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
3. When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies "and", either type (player's choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies "or", or each end of the double weapon is a different type if the entry specifies "/".
4. The hp value given is for Medium armor, weapons, and shields. Divide by 2 for each size category of the item smaller than Medium, or multiply it by 2 for each size category larger than Medium.
The kusarigama (lit. 'chain and scythe') is a double weapon that combines a one-handed scythe (kama) with a long chain that has a mace at the end. Generally used by accomplished martial artists that can make optimum use of this challenging weapon, the mace-and-chain restrains the enemy while the scythe finishes them off. Both parts of the weapon can be enhanced separately. The kusarigama may be considered an exotic monk weapon, and may be used in conjunction with the Flurry of Blows class feature.
The scythe part of the kusarigama is a slashing weapon with a base damage of 1d6 and a critical rate of 20/×4. With the attached chain, the scythe may be used as a grappling hook with a range of 15 feet, using the modifiers of an attack roll instead of a Use Rope check.
The mace part of the kusarigama is a bludgeoning reach weapon with a base damage of 1d6 and a critical rate of 20/×2. The mace may still be used to target adjacent creatures, and confers a +2 bonus to grapple checks.
The kusarigama requires either 17 Dexterity or Two-Weapon Fighting (or an equivalent feat) to wield without penalty as a martial weapon. However, those that have the appropriate Exotic Weapon Proficiency (on top of meeting the prerequisites) get access to the following weapon arts. Any associated save DCs are 10 + ½ your base attack bonus + your Dexterity bonus.
- Chain Throw: As an attack action, you may make a ranged attack with the mace against a non-adjacent target within 15 feet. If the attack is successful, the target must make a Fortitude save or be staggered for 1 round. After performing a chain throw, you must expend a move or attack action to retract the chain again.
- Lunge: Once per round, you may expend an attack action to move up to 15 feet. Any attack action that directly follows a lunge deals double damage against staggered targets. If you lunge in the same direction as a previous chain throw, retracting your chain becomes a free action.
- Improved Grab: When performing a normal attack with the mace, you may choose to deal no damage to instead wrap the kusarigama's chain around the target. If the attack roll succeeds, you gain all the benefits of the improved grab ability. This ability may be used during an attack of opportunity provoked by movement. Enemies may try to escape the grapple by attempting a Strength check to bust the kusarigama's chain. The break DC of the kusarigama's chain is 26 plus the raw enhancement bonus the mace and chain. While grappling with the chain, you cannot make mace attacks with the kusarigama.
- Ranged Scythe Stance: As a swift action used at the beginning of your turn, you may grab the kusarigama halfway down the chain, turning the scythe into a reach weapon that bypasses all shield bonuses to AC as well as penetrating cover (though not total cover). While this stance is active, you cannot use the Chain Throw or Improved Grab abilities. This stance lasts for 1 round, and needs to be reapplied every turn.
- Reaping Slice: If a target starts its turn grappled by you, you may make an attack with the scythe as a standard action. This attack, if it hits, is an automatic critical threat.
|Class||Thrown + and Melee +|
|Cost||100 gp +|
|Damage Type||Slashing + and Bludgeoning +|
|Hit Points||10 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Equipment +|
|Rated By||balmz +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|