Principality (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Bringing knowledge and enlightenment throughout the ages of this world, they are the harbingers of progress and learning. Always venerable but never mortal, these aged souls roam the world to spread their vast knowledge to the open-minded.
Principalities are said to have been great rulers and princes of mortalkind, and of all the celestials, they have the deepest communinion with the mortal world, and never leave it. Outwardly, they have the appearance of an old man draped in elegant, but otherwise unassuming robes, and carry a crown or circlet on their head, and a staff in their hand. Some people believe that the principalities are resurrected prophets and messiahs, blessed with immortality and divine power to carry their message and knowledge into the future. They carry out the orders given to them by Dominions, and preside over communities and mortalkind in general, as keepers of knowledge and advisors. As the educators of the mortal world, they inspire the living to many callings, such as science, art, medicine or philosophy.
Principalities each wear a 'crown' and carry a 'scepter', each of which is imbued with great powers and abilities that transcend mortal understanding. Furthermore, as presumed ascended mortals, they have an unparallelled grasp of ascended mortal magic.
A principality is treated as a 22 HD creature when targeted by HD-dependent effects, and its natural weapons and any weapons it wields are treated as good-aligned and magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Diadem of Power: A principality's diadem functions as a circlet of the inner eye, and furthermore gives the principality one of the following powers.
<property list to come>
Divine Presence (Ex): A principality's divine presence extends out in a 40-foot emanation. Its frightful presence effect affects all non-good creatures, frightening those of 8 HD or less, and rendering others shaken. A DC 29 Will save negates the effects.
Regeneration (Ex): Evil-aligned magical weapons and spells with the Evil descriptor deal normal damage to a principality. If an angel loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The principality can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.
Scepter of Power: A principality's scepter is an effective +3/+3 quarterstaff and, like an artifact, is indestructible while the principality himself is alive. The scepter allows the principality to cast spells from his specialized school quickened once per round, and grants the Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus feats pertaining to the specialized school. The scepter also allows the principality to cast spells from his specialized school with a +4 bonus to his caster level.
Furthermore, the principality’s scepter affords him the following powers, depending on his chosen specialization;
- Abjuration: The duration of abjuration spells with range Personal or Touch increases to the next stage (rounds/level becomes minutes/level, minutes/level becomes 10 minutes/level, 10 minutes/level becomes 1 hour/level, and hour/level becomes day/level).
- Absolution: Once per day, an abjurer principality may generate a protective field around himself that lasts for 1d4+1 rounds. The field stops any form of damage, from physical attacks to magic. It effectively grants a complete immunity to every form of damage for the duration of the effect, that is overcome only by epic-tier weapons and spells, or the supernatural abilities of creatures of 21 HD or more whose natural weapons are treated as epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
- Conjuration: A conjurer principality can spontaneously cast spells from the summon monster line. Any such spells are cast maximized, as a standard action, and the duration increases to 1 minute/caster level. He gains Augment Summoning as a bonus feat.
- Summon Celestials (Sp): As a full-round action, a conjurer principality can summon 1d3+1 angels once per encounter, and a strike force of 1 archangel leading 1d4+1 angels once per day. The use of the latter expends the principality’s ability to summon celestials for that encounter. The former is equivalent to effective 7th level spell, and the latter is equivalent to an epic (10th-level) spell.
- Spell-Like Abilities: Add the following to a principality's base spell-like abilities: 3/day—elemental monolithSpC; 1/day—gate (calling creatures only).
Spells: Principalities can cast divine spells as 12th-level clerics, and as 20th level wizards. A principality's spells are always divine in nature, even if they are arcane. A principality has access to two of the following domains for its clerical casting: Good, Knowledge, Magic and Protection (plus any others from its deity). The save DCs are Wisdom-based (cleric) and Intelligence-based (wizard). For its wizard spellcasting, a principality always has a specialized school (but never necromancy).