Safir (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|“||An ćaté Tèqagisan au vwontás nerỳmāiþ kānivǧa.*||”|
| —Meteli Ìneǧae Iliu Suizan, former archon of Nesta-Palo, Fertile Conversations|
* “The Awakened mind is the bedrock of society.”
The safir are a mystical people of great psychic power, often orthogonal to the machinations of the stillminded world. They live in places of ethereal beauty, in expansive plains or ancient petrified forests or crisp beachheads, crafting great artistry and cultivating the gardens that are their minds.
Tall and Alluring
With their exquisite figures, graceful motion, and reserved yet empathic nature, safir appear hauntingly, yet extraordinarily, beautiful to humans and to more than a few other races. Safir are well-known for their blue blood, and for the light blue hue that it imparts upon their skin.
Safir are unique among the known sentient races in that they have three sexes: female, male, and a sort of in-between known as azhar, who, while looking outwardly female, can sire children as well as bear them. They are also unique in their unequal sex distribution: for every 36 children, on average, there are 25 females, 5 azhar, and 6 males. As well, the resting body temperature of safir is lower than humans; however, they can consciously modulate their body temperature via meditation. Male safir are rarely seen in public, due to their scarcity and their closely protected nature, while, aside from height, it is difficult for an outsider to tell an azhar safir apart from a female one.
Female safir range from 6 to 7 feet tall, males from 4¾ to 5½ feet, and azhar from 5½ to 6¼ feet. All safir have pointed ears, like elves. A plurality of safir have brown hair, but all manner of hair and eye colors are possible; they have no facial and little body hair. There is great variation in hairstyles among safir, but longer hair is usually indicative of higher social class.
The usual form of clothing among safir is a long robe that is close-fitting around the torso but loose and flowing at the sleeves and around the legs, which can be found dyed all manner of colors — though cool colors are more common — and printed with many different patterns, commonly geometrical, abstract, or nature-based designs. Safir who have blended into elven or human society may wear the costume of their adoptive homeland.
Typical adventuring gear for this people includes flat- and recurve bows, curved swords made from a strange, beautifully patterned steel, various forms of polearms, and crossbows.
The Eternal Balancing Act
Safir are torn between their cold, soft, reserved nature, and their natural empathic powers, along with the resulting inclination to give into their emotions, especially when in the company of others. Their long lifespans, however, of well over 400 years, afford them ample opportunity to partake of both extrema.
Safir, by their psychic nature, are flexible and pragmatic, loath to let themselves become affected by petty happenstance and desirous to resolve conflicts diplomatically before raising a sword, or a mind, against their sisters. To this end, their cities are well fortified by means yet unknown to the Unawakened, and many a prospective raiding party have found themselves suddenly lost, back where they started, or turned against themselves when marching thereon. Should, however, the need arise to defend themselves, the safir are keen inheritrices of a proud martial tradition that has persisted for untold millennia.
It is not unheard of for a safir to go her entire life without speaking a single word. Those that do speak, however, do so in a mellifluous, enchanting language called Āirumāli, or in one called Īnēmāli, which is more akin to birdsong than any other known language.
|A Distant, Haunting Melody
|Humans. Safir view humans, ever pragmatic as they are wont to be, as good allies, despite their lack of emotional restraint and their ephemeral lifespan.|
Elves. Safir view elves as distant cousins, if not kindred. Their mutual love of nature and of artistry gives them much common ground.
A City Devoid of Stillminds; or, The Unawakened Plain
Safir are naturally telepathic and empathic, innately able to feel and share their emotions and thoughts with one another. This has led to an interesting dichotomy: some safir prefer living in cities with their fellow psychics, while others find the presence of so many Awakened anathema, and have taken up residence in the countryside, far from prying minds.
Most safir are agriculturalists of some stripe, whether commanding fish farms or rice paddies that can be measured only by the square mile, or growing fruit and vegetables in a rooftop garden. The way of the artisan is also well-trodden among their kind, and they are well-known for their fine clothing, jewelry, and art, though they produce almost exclusively for their own consumption. Those precious few that do export their goods, however, trade them for exotic spices and for silver, which, despite forming the backbone of the safir's currency, is chronically in short supply.
Safir encountered outside their own lands are often traveling artists or sages, or artisans that wish to take truly fresh blood into their craft. It has been known for human and elven nobles to enlist the service of safir magesses in teaching them the ways of the mind.
The most common reason for safir to take up adventuring is out of wanderlust, and a desire to explore and discover. They also enjoy exercising their martial and supernatural power, and adventuring grants them the ability to do so at often minimal risk to others. Safir greatly, too, despite the collectivist nature of their society, value freedom, so they will often take up careers that allow them to travel and set their own schedule. For the same reason, it is not uncommon to see them taking up arms against oppression, corruption, and decay, or what they perceive thereas.
Safir are considered children until initiation, the details of which are a tightly guarded secret, aside from that it takes place in the child's teenage years, usually on or shortly after its sixteenth birthday, and involves its first, and sometimes only, haircut. Child safir names are as often meaningless babble as they are words, but adult names, and especially adult female names, are meaningful, closely treasured throughout the generations, and often long-winded.
Various safir societies may also impart on their members, in some combination or order, a family name, a matronymic, a caste name, and a locative. The given name(s) usually come(s) after the family name and/or matronymic.
Female Names: Endoré (crescent moon), Seóni (lacquerware doll), Mitēuřamae (the name of a weapon from safir mythology), Valōra (butterfly), Lakuná (dreamscape), Āstraja (guardian spirit)
Gender-Neutral Names: Mismar (anchor), Lornar (wheel), Vraissaþr (truth), Tāriel (rose), Selén (a velvet-like fabric), Imar (cloud)
Male Names: Matēu (dependable), Níraso (opal), Dyneþīłū (soft, freshly fallen snow), Ŵecù (bell), Neþu (leaf), Nenu (moss)
Family Names: Matronymics (the name of an individual's mother, with the suffix -ei added) are far more common than all other kinds of surname combined among safir. That said, some examples of the latter are Ansin (tree), Arvin (merchant), Ilāþrikan (angelborne), Jaīnakan (novaborne), Leido (crossroads), Neital (emerald), Raí (holy light), Sývrè (ocean), and Telemnai (Seeker).
- +2 Intelligence
- Humanoid (Psionic, Safir)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Safir has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Safir base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A safir can see in the dark up to 30 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a safir can function just fine with no light at all.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
- Empathic (Ex): Safir are natural empaths, constantly in touch with the emotions of others. They have a constant empathy effect, as the psionic power with the following changes. If a creature at least 6 intelligence dies within the area of effect of a safir's empathy ability, she must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + the creature's HD + the creature's Charisma modifier) or be Stunned for 1 round. On a successful check, there is no penalty. A safir may not willingly turn off her empathy; therefore, she does not benefit from the +2 skill bonus normally offered in the round a manifester ceases to concentrate on that power.
- Mindsight (Ex): A safir can detect and pinpoint humanoids of all types, outsiders, giants, and magical beasts within 30 ft. This works much like blindsense — the safir knows what square each thinking being is in, but does not see the being, and the being still has total concealment unless she can see it by some other means. The safir also perceives several observable characteristics about each being detected with mindsight, including the being's type and race. She need not take any additional or special actions to gain this information; it is as obvious to mindsight as the being's race and clothing would be to eyesight.
- Multiple Arms: Safir have four arms, so they can take Multiweapon Fighting instead of Two-Weapon Fighting.
- Naturally Psionic: Safir gain 3 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Psi-Like Abilities: 3/day—know direction and location and sensitivity to psychic impressions; at 5 HD, 1/day—psionic dimension door.
- Telepathy 100 ft. (Su)
- Automatic Languages: Āirumāli, Īnēmāli, and Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret.
- Favored Class: Psion
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|16 years||+0 years||+0 years||+1d4 years|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|400 years||420 years||440 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 9”||+1d10"||90 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||5’ 9”||+1d10"||150 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Psion +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Intelligence +|
|Rated By||Foxwarrior +, Havvy +, Eiji-kun +, Aarnott + and Franken Kesey +|
|Rating||Rated 2.4 / 4 +|
|Subtype||Psionic + and Safir +|