Aristrakh (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Feral half-orc half-elves whose conflicted natures lend them magical resilience and frightening rage.
Aristrakh are typically physical, direct, uncouth, intimidating, and wise. They understand much but lack tact or restraint, which lends to their disturbing nature: it is one thing to deal with a brute, quite another with an insightful brute who seems to know just how you feel about her and possesses a natural talent for keeping you off-balance and uneasy.
Their social difficulties and meditative nature sometimes lead them to solitude, or at least the wanderer's path, where their attributes and lifestyle complement rather then restrict each other. Most aristrakh are conflicted, their feral nature as much burden as gift, but unlike half-orcs they also tend to have enough perspective to control and explore the paradox of their beings.
When an aristrakh is at its most elven, it radiates both clarity and the distance of the alien, seeming almost fey in its strange, calm attitude. At its most orc, it is terrifying to behold, an unrestrained monster capable of entering into a bloody rage at any moment.
Aristrakh resemble an unusually fearsome mixture of their parent races, with features lend savagery by orcish blood and refined into predatory grace by the elven touch. There is nothing attractive or pleasant in that grace, though; they are not comparable to the beauty and poise of a tiger, embodying rather the caged fury and feral aptitudes of a rabid beast not yet in motion.
In broad strokes, they occupy a color spectrum between black and pale green, with eyes that tend towards gold or silver and possess disturbingly large pupils. Their ears are long, though shorter and more beastly then the slender blades of an elf, and they have fangs but no tusks. Hair comes in a myriad of shades available to either parent, trending towards the elven colorations.
The aristrakh are widely disdained and occasionally regarded as abominations by elves and orcs alike; other humanoids typically vary their reactions. They are frightening and alien, but clearly not orcs - much smarter, as well - and so are often viewed with the wary caution many races give to the fey. That they do not often have the numbers to make war or the inclination to join societies - which are either not natural enough to be accepted or not cosmopolitan enough to accept them - helps greatly in ensuring a relatively neutral reception in most lands.
The aristrakh tend towards True Neutral, but all alignments are represented.
If several aristrakh survive in an area, they often bond and create small but self-sustaining clans whose business is typically their own. Though they are not often mercenary (or interested in diplomacy with other races at all), it is common for such clans to develop central philosophies or ideals that lead them to serve particular causes, such as "safeguard the balance in the forest of Lunelis" or "pursue martial perfection and destroy invading monstrous humanoids".
Only the most self-loathing of the aristrakh worship patron gods of elves or orcs, though they often share other deities with their parent races: gods of strength and nature, especially, are very popular.
Elven and Orc.
Aristrakh names are often a mix of elven and orc conventions, just as their racial name is: aristrakh is a portmanteau of the word for "outsider" in both languages.
Male Names: Arakorr, Denchalis, Enifeng, Heinke, Laulgilsh, Quarrusk, Kethliss, Thokmiorr
Female Names: Bagianna, Emenili, Felirong, Myevanthe, Nenia, Quillovaki, Vadiakthe
Clan Names: Bloodblossom, Moonrage, Oakbreaker, Silvereye, Stormsong, Windscream
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Hybrid vigor and the inherent closeness to nature of both parent races make the aristrakh tough and aware, but their feral souls and unsettling blend of features makes them less then a welcome sight to most races.
- Humanoid (Elf, Orc)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an aristrakh has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Aristrakh base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision (Ex): Aristrakh can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and aristrakh can function just fine with no light at all.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): An aristrakh can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Savage Body (Ex): An aristrakh may substitute its Constitution in place of its Charisma for the purpose of Intimidate checks.
- Savage Mind (Ex): An aristrakh may enter a rage, once per day, as a 1st-level barbarian. If the aristrakh gains access to rage as a class feature, this ability instead becomes an extra granted use of that class feature per day.
- Savage Soul (Ex): An aristrakh receives a +2 bonus to saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
- Racial Skills (Ex): An aristrakh gains a +2 bonus to Listen, Spot and Survival, and a +2 bonus to Intimidate against creatures which are not fey, elemental, or magical beasts.
- Automatic Languages: Elven and Orc.
- Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Sylvan, and Abyssal.
- Favored Class: "Any"
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|70 years||150 years||500 years||+500 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5'7"||+2d8||150 lb.||× (4d12) lb.|
|Female||5'7"||+2d8||150 lb.||× (4d12) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Constitution +, +2 Wisdom + and -2 Charisma +|
|Subtype||Elf + and Orc +|
|Summary||Feral half-orc half-elves whose conflicted natures lend them magical resilience and frightening rage. +|