Devourer of Sin (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Devourer of Sin
|CE Large (Long) Aberration|
|Init/Senses||+5/Darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +2, Spot +2|
|Languages||Common, Infernal, and Draconic|
|AC|| 15, touch 12, flat-footed 14|
(+3 Natural, +1 Dexterity, +2 Deflection, -1 Size)
|hp||37 (5d8+15) (5 HD)|
|Speed||30 ft. (6 squares)|
|Melee||1 Bite +6 (2d6+6 and Transfer Emotion)|
|Abilities||Str 18, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 17|
|Feats||Improved Initiative, Iron Will|
|Skills||Climb +12, Move Silently +9, Intimidate +11|
|Advancement||6-8 HD (Large), 9-11 HD (Huge), 12-14 HD (Gargantuan), 15-17 HD (Colossal)|
|Transfer Emotion||Upon successfully dealing damage with its bite attack, target must save against transfer emotion (DC 17), or the Devourer of Sin will take its favorite emotion. The save is Charisma-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus.|
|Emotional Specialty||Each Devourer of Sin prefers to collect only one particular emotion, which gives it special abilities, described below.|
Each Devourer of Sin prefers to absorb only one particular emotion. By absorbing so much of this emotion, they gain distinct powers and tactics:
Fear: Devourers of Sin who consume Fear automatically fail Will saves against [Fear] checks, and prefer to run away as soon as they have transferred an emotion.
- Fear is Contagious (Su): As a Standard action, the Devourer of Sin can unleash its unbounded cowardice. Creatures in a 30 foot radius spread must make a Will save (DC 15, save is Charisma-based) or become panicked. This is a [Fear] effect, and includes the Devourer of Sin. The radius of this ability increases by 10 feet for every additional Hit Die of advancement.
- Scuttling: The Devourer of Sin gains a 30 foot climb speed.
Anger: Devourers of Sin who consume Anger are constantly enraged, getting a +4 bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +2 bonus to Will saves, and a -2 penalty to Armor Class. Even after successfully transferring an emotion, they continue to wail upon their target in a mad frenzy.
- Rend: At the beginning of each of its turns, the Devourer of Sin lashes out, dealing 1d6 + Strength modifier slashing damage to each creature or unattended object within reach. The damage of this ability increases by 2 for every additional Hit Die of advancement.
- Furious Charge: The Devourer of Sin may move 60 extra feet while charging.
Greed: Devourers of Sin who consume Greed can't resist attempting to steal any item they see which is worth at least half as much as their current ownings. After successfully transferring an emotion, they attempt to take their victim's most valuable possession before leaving.
- Trained Eye: The Devourer of Sin can identify items on sight.
- Sticky Flesh: If the Devourer of Sin is hit with a melee attack, the attacking object is stuck to its flesh and requires a DC 15 Strength check (taken as a free action once per round, or a move action for any further attempts) to remove again. In the case of an unarmed or natural attack, they are dragged with the Devourer of Sin as it moves until they manage to dislodge their offending body parts. The DC of the Strength check increases by 1 for every additional Hit Die of advancement.
Sadness: Devourers of Sin who consume Sadness prefer to just mope in a corner until they feel too hungry. They prefer to deal nonlethal damage with their bites, because after transferring the emotions of their target, they prefer to stick around and be comforted.
- Ocean of Tears (Su): As a Standard action, the Devourer of Sin can weep one 5-foot cube of tears per Hit Die.
- Float On: The Devourer of Sin gains a 20 foot Swim speed, and can breathe underwater.
Guilt: Devourers of Sin who consume Guilt flee, feign ignorance, or attack whenever they encounter another creature. When transferring emotions, they prefer to kill all witnesses if they think they can.
- Master of Disguises: The Devourer of Sin can choose to look like an ordinary Humanoid, reducing its size category to Medium.
- False Innocence: The Devourer of Sin gains maximum ranks in Bluff, and gets an insight bonus to Bluff checks equal to its Hit Dice. Its alignment is detected as though it were Lawful Good, and abilities that detect its thoughts reveal only idle musings on the weather.
Pain: Devourers of Sin who consume Pain prefer to strike only when they can do so without being attacked in return. They are deathly afraid of fire, acid, and other continuously damaging environmental conditions, and would rather risk death or surrender completely than experience those. While their loyalty may be easily bought with a bit of sandpaper, it is easily lost when they encounter something else painful.
- Excrutiating Bites: When a creature successfully saves against the Devourer of Sin's Transfer Emotions effect, it is nauseated for 1 round.
- Protected: The Devourer of Sin gains proficiency with all armor and shields, and usually wears full plate or even thicker armor. Its Deflection bonus to AC increases by 1 for every 2 additional Hit Dice.
Physical Characteristics: Devourers of Sin are large, fleshy masses, with numerous small chitinous legs that let them scuttle much faster than they have any reason to. Their vast, cavernous mouths are rimmed with several layers of chitinous teeth, but a closer inspection reveals that they have no throats. Devourers of Sin have two bloodshot eyes the size of dinner plates.
Environment: Devourers of Sin most commonly scour the infinite layers of the Abyss, making them more pleasant places to live, temporarily, before the weakened inhabitants of such layers are overrun by their more determined neighbors. However, Devourers of Sin have been known to escape to other planes, wreaking havoc there.
Lifespan: Devourers of Sin appear spontaneously in places where the Far Realms most closely brush the Abyss, but they can also be created by force-feeding someone the same emotion with Transfer Emotion approximately one hundred times.
Diet: Devourers of Sin can survive on a diet of one person's-worth of emotions per day.
Alignment: Devourers of Sin are usually Chaotic Evil, obsessed with their emotion to the exclusion of all others, but not all of them are both Chaotic and Evil.
Standard. Triple standard for Greed.
Creatures As Characters
Devourers of Sin are a teensy bit obsessive, which makes them difficult to play in a party. Consider your choice of emotion carefully.
Creatures With Class Levels
Devourers of Sin can gain class levels. Such levels do not improve ability scores, size category, or emotion specialty qualities of the Devourer of Sin.
In addition to the advancements listed above, Devourers of Sin gain one additional Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma for every two additional HD they gain.
|Challenge Rating||5 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Monster +|
|Name||Devourer of Sin +|
|Size||Large (Long) +|
|Summary||A hideous abomination who devours the negative emotions of its victims, leaving them happy and contented. +|
|Title||Devourer of Sin +|