Elan Apparition (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A weaker semi-incorporal being for lower level campaigns which is more versatile to other builds. An elan apparition is created by melding the genes of an unbodied and an elan. Creating a being which is partially ethereal and partially material. This allows it to manipulate small objects physically. However, its partial connection makes it much more vulnerable to physical attacks. This being is called an apparition for all naming below.
Natural Form: An Apparition hasn't been fully transformed, thus don’t take on the typical physical characteristics of Unbodied (being a glowing brain of light). Instead, they are humanoid in shape, with a thin and weak of frame, yet their head is enlarged slightly. Their skin has a subtle glow and is hairless. Certainly still an alien sight, but less so than a pure Unbodied. Most Apparition are female, with females being slightly larger than males.
Elan Disguise: An Apparition’s is partially Elan, thus it gets a bonus to disguising as one.
Apparitions don’t look nearly as alien as a pure Unbodied, thus can interact in some civilized societies even in natural form. Especially in a diverse society, where oddities are common-place. This has made them more prevalent in trading cities.
Apparition are almost exclusively chaotic. Something about the material laws being limiting has lead to this. There is an equal measure of them on the good and evil spectrum.
Apparitions were created by an evil psionic order. Designed as soldiers in an ancient army. However, something went wrong when they were created – which destroyed the order and how they were made. Against design, each Apparition had a strong will of its own – thus was nearly impossible to control. The type of mind was much more random and versatile than a pure Unbodied.
Knowledge of where the original Apparitions were created has been lost. However, since they are partially Elan (thus partially material), they have been able to mate and produce offspring. A small fraction of such offspring with an Elan become Apparitions (most are just normal Elans). The highest concentration of them has been found at Stoneheim.
- -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: An Apparition does have a strength score, but has a significant penalty to it. It is stronger, but not as wise or charming as a pure Unbodied.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic, Semi-Incorporeal)
- Small: As a Small creature, an apparition gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- An Apparition has a base land speed of 20 feet, and fly speed of 40 feet (good).
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: An Apparition begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 HD, a BAB of +2, and saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: An Apparition’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, and Spot. Apparitions have a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks and Disguise checks, and a +8 bonus to Move Silently checks. When using its Elan Disguise ability, an Apparition gets an additional +6 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.
- Racial Feats: An Apparition’s monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat.
- Semi-Incorporeal: Apparitions aren’t fully incorporeal, instead they get the following traits:
- A semi-incorporeal can be attacked by mundane forces.
- A semi-incorporeal attack is not automatically a touch attack. When wielding corporeal weapons, they act as if they are corporeal.
- A semi-incorporeal can use corporeal or incorporeal weapons and armor. But if using corporeal weapons or armor, it can’t pass through solid objects (see below).
- 30% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source—except for a force effect or damage dealt by a ghost touch weapon.
- Deflection bonus to Armor Class equal to character’s Charisma modifier (minimum +1).
- Natural Weapon: Incorporeal touch (1d6).
- A semi-incorporeal creature can pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so can’t pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. However, it can’t end its turn inside a solid object. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the semi-incorporeal creature must emerge. A semi-incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks. A semi-incorporeal creature can’t pass through a force effect.
- Partially-Elan: Because part of its biology is elan, it gets the following traits:
- Naturally Psionic: Gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit doesn’t grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Resistance (Su): Can use psionic energy to increase their resistance to various forms of attack. As an immediate action, it can spend 1 power point to gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws until the beginning of its next action.
- Elan Disguise (Su): An Apparition can assume the likeness of an elan as a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. Its abilities don’t change, but it appears to be that creature, relying on its Bluff and Disguise skills to deflect suspicion. The true seeing power sees through this disguise.
- Psi-Like Ability: At will—control object, mindlink. Manifester level is equal to 1/2 Hit Dice (minimum 1st). The save DC is Intelligence-based.
- Psionic Powers: An Apparition manifests powers as a 2nd-level psion (any type). An Apparition who takes levels in psion adds its racial manifesting ability and psion levels together to determine its power point reserve, manifester level, and powers known. Unlike a pure Unbodied, this can be of any discipline.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Psion.
- Level Adjustment: +2
- Effective Character Level: 4
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||200 years||300 years||+4d8 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3’ 10”||+2d6||20 lb.||× (3d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 3”||+3d6||30 lb.||× (3d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||4 +|
|Favored Class||Psion +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||2 +|
|Summary||A weaker semi-incorporal being for lower l … |
A weaker semi-incorporal being for lower level campaigns which is more versatile to other builds. An elan apparition is created by melding the genes of an unbodied and an elan. Creating a being which is partially ethereal and partially material. This allows it to manipulate small objects physically. However, its partial connection makes it much more vulnerable to physical attacks.much more vulnerable to physical attacks. +
|Title||Elan Apparition +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|