Energy Shield (3.5e Equipment)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
An armor enchanted with this ability grants its bearer a given number (X) of temporary hits points every few (Y) rounds. These temporary hit points are lost before the wearer's actual hit points take damage.
|A Note on Balance and Cost|
|The cost of this item was calculated using the Character Wealth by Level table given in the Dungeon Master's Guide and with secondary consideration to the suggestion that a character not be able to spend more than 1/3 of their wealth on a single item. Campaigns which do not adhere to these guidelines may have differing results upon incorporation of this item.|
- A shield may not take more than 5 rounds to recharge.
- A shield recharges at the beginning of the user's turn if an appropriate number of rounds have passed.
- A shield confers no special immunity to grappling or status effects, though it does protect the bearer from other types of damage, such as from energy sources.
The cost of this enhancement depends on the shield's deflective power and how quickly it regenerates once overwhelmed.
The formula for determining shield value is as follows: X * (1/Y). To determine price this figure is first divided by 5, then squared, then multiplied by 1000. A table is given below for quick consultation.
- Shield Value 5-20: Faint abjuration, aid, mage armor, or shield.
- Shield Value 25-50: Moderate abjuration; stoneskin.
- Shield Value 55-95: Strong abjuration; repel metal or stone.
- Shield Value 100+: Overwhelming abjuration.