Fel'Keen (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Born of the winds atop the highest mountains, the Fel'Keen are a race of people made of heavily compressed mist.
The Fel'keen value freedom above all else, and thus are very wistful people. When they leave the mountain, they travel wildly through the lands, exploring whatever they can. They want to enjoy all things the world has to offer. They have no respect for authority as where they come from has no leaders. They respect laws, but only due to the consequences.
The Fel'Keen have two different forms. Atop the mountain, where they are born, they take the form of a wind current, circling the mountain. In this form, they are entirely incorporeal and are more like strung together particles of air than they are to any sort of natural being. When they descend the mountain, the increased air pressure presses their composition into a loose form. While they are still air, they have most of the qualities of a solid being. They appear as concentrated, flowing green mist. They generally make this form resemble a humanoid. In addition, they tend to wrap bandages or cloth around the whole of their taken form. They do not do this because they need to, but rather for the comfort of humanoids.
The Fel'Keen will always have best relations with those near the mountain, no matter what race that may be. Whatever race that is likely is the one that called them down from the mountain and made first contact. Their relationship with other races is generally fairly good. They tend to frighten people that are unfamiliar with them though as their ghost-like appearance can be startling.
Without leaving the mountain, the Fel'Keen are indifferent to the matters of Law and Order. Their natural state has no care for such concepts. There are no leaders, nor criminals. They are, after all, just wind. After that, it is down to the individual. Some may respect the idea of Law and Order, some may detest it to the point of opposing it. Good and evil are also thrown to the wind.
Their only native land is the mountain on which they are born. This land is setting dependent.
Within their natural state, the concept of religion is a contentious one. Those who are religious, worship the currents of the wind. There is still no magical or scientific explanation of how they are formed, as such many worship it. That said, many also, like they are with many other things, don't care.
Common, Whispers of the Wind, and the native language of whoever made first contact.
Their native language, Whispers of the Wind, is unspeakable by any humanoid lifeform. As such, they take two names, one to relate to other Fel'Keen, and one to relate to humanoids. Their Humanoid name takes from the same name palette as the race that made first contact.
- -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Fel'Keen in their non native form need to maintain their cohesion. This is tougher than it may seem, and the bonds of their body is actually weaker than that of a regular humanoid, as such they take a small hit to constitution. Their lives are generally spent meeting new people, learning new things, and meditating upon life. This sort of lifestyle gives them a boost to wisdom.
- Humanoid (Shapechanger, Air): Their bonded body can be changed in shape, but they maintain a humanoid form at nearly all times, so they are considered Humanoid.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a fel'keen has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Fel'Keen base land speed is 30' feet. 30' Fly (Perfect)
- Born of the Winds (Ex): As a Fel'Keen technically has no true, solid parts, it does operate differently than a standard humanoid. To begin with, they do not age. They are born physically mature, and that state does not alter. Rather than becoming exhausted or needing to sleep, they must meditate for 4 hours a day- if they do not, their form begins to fall apart into a puff of soulless mist. Every day they go without meditating incurs a penalty of the number of days squared to their constitution.If they reach 0 constitution in this way, they die immediately. In order to recover this, they must do a standard meditation for each day they skipped. I.E. If they went 3 days without meditating, they will take a penalty of -9 to their Constitution, and must meditate for 12 hours to reconstitute their form. In addition, they lose cohesion after time if they cannot return to their incorporeal state. For every year they remain corporeal, they must spend 2 weeks back atop the mountain. If they remain away corporeal for 5 years, they die immediately.
- Mutable Form (Ex): The Fel'Keen have no skin, and no ability to imitate it, so they're a bit strange in their method of shapeshifting. They cannot use it for deception, and thus do not qualify for any feats, prestige classes, magic items, and similar which are limited to doppelgangers and changelings' abilities to disguise themselves. (This is partly up to DM discretion as to what counts as deception, and what is simply form changing.) That all said, they can still change form with relative ease provided they are unarmoured. This gives them several options, listed below:
- Arm Extension: By taking a -4 to attack rolls, gain 5' of added reach as a free action.
- Thin Mist: Become thin and mutable enough to squeeze through any space. Doing this halves your movement speed and denies your dexterity bonus to AC.
- Can I?: Ask your DM.
- Automatic Languages: Whispers of the Wind, Common, 1 other language (See Language above)
- Bonus Languages: Any (Aside from secret languages, such as Druidic.)
- Favored Class: Wizard, Sorcerer, Monk
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
The table breaks if you try to make them not have genders, so they're both the same.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 5"||+0||110 lb.||× (0) lb.|
|Female||5' 5"||+0||110 lb.||× (0) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Wizard +, Sorcerer + and Monk +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Subtype||Shapechanger, Air +|
|Summary||Born of the winds atop the highest mountains, the Fel'Keen are a race of people made of heavily compressed mist. +|