Graviton Zero (3.5e Spell)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Casting time:||1 standard action|
|Area:||A 10-ft./level-radius sphere|
Upon finishing an intricate set of somatic movements that ebb away into stillness, you create a large, faintly visible bubble centered on you, that does not move with you. Immediately, the force of gravitational attraction within your bubble is reduced to zero, rendering everything inside effectively weightless. This has the following effects.
- Creatures not secured to the ground that are incapable of flight are no longer able to control their movement. Those in range of the ground or any sufficiently large and solid mass who attempt a Jump check find themselves flying in a straight line at a speed of twice their check result per round, and creatures in mid-air are unable to alter their velocity except by ponderously 'swimming' in the air, which alters their speed or direction by up to 10 feet in any direction (i.e, someone that is going north at a speed of 20 feet per round can speed up to 30 feet per round, or reduce their speed to 10 feet per round, or even change their direction to move 20 feet north and 10 feet west per round). Due to air friction, the highest speed obtainable without vantage or outside help is 50 feet per round. If the area spans an atmospheric vacuum, any creature without vantage can't change their speed or direction at all.
- Creatures that can fly due to wings can move freely in the area of graviton zero provided there is atmosphere. Creatures that fly due to magic, or through effects that grant them a mode of flight that does not depend on displacing atmosphere (such as the Astroadaptation feat) can do so even in a vacuum. A creature capable of flying in the area becomes effectively hasted, but loses the ability to dive due to a lack of directional gravity. Creatures that have a hover speed can hover at any altitude within a zero gravity environment, and are likewise empowered and limited.
- bull rush checks between creatures that have vantage push the loser back twice as far as normal. A creature with vantage, whether in the form of flight, tethering or some sort of special footing like spider climb automatically wins a bull rush against a creature without vantage, pushing it back 10 feet for every 5 points of the check result, though every size category the pushed creature is larger reduces the distance pushed by 10 feet, and vice versa. The bull rusher need not move with the target.
- Projectiles fly in a straight path, unburdened by gravitation. All range increments are quadrupled, leaving only atmosphere as a source of friction. Any physical ranged attacks have a +2 circumstance bonus.
- Any surface can be climbed as though it is a wall, depending on its surface texture (see the Climb skill). All Climb DCs are reduced by 10. Creatures climb up to twice as fast in an area of zero gravity, and climb speeds are doubled.
- Creatures take no falling damage (obviously) while in an area of zero gravity, though creatures that cannot maneuver freely take damage depending on how fast they are moving when colliding with a sufficiently large object (at least one size category larger), equal to 1d6 points per 20 feet to a maximum of 10d6 at 200 feet.