Hero of Time (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The Hero of Time excels as an adventurer, insightful in his knowledge of both combat and puzzles. (Based loosely on Link from the Zelda series.)
- Player's Handbook 2
- Complete Champion
- Tome of Battle
- Complete Scoundrel
Game Rule Components
- Pick up Collector of Stories to help with the Int check for Knowledge Devotion.
Starting Ability Scores (Before Racial Adjustments): (Assuming 32 Point Buy) 16 14 14 16 8 8
Race (Templates): Fire Elf is best, but regular Elf also works
|Saving Throws||Feats|| Class
|1st||Factotum 1||+0||+0||+2||+0||Power Attack||Inspiration, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, Trapfinding|
|2nd||Warblade 1||+1||+2||+2||+0||Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude|
|3rd||Fighter 1||+2||+4||+2||+0||Knowledge Devotion, Weapon Focus|
|4th||Warblade 2||+3||+5||+2||+0||Uncanny Dodge|
|5th||Warblade 3||+4||+5||+3||+1||Battle Ardor|
|6th||Warblade 4||+5||+6||+3||+1||Font of Inspiration|
|7th||Warblade 5||+6||+6||+3||+1||Ironheart Aura|
|8th||Warblade 6||+7||+6||+4||+2||Improved Uncanny Dodge|
|9th||Warblade 7||+8||+7||+4||+2||Stormguard Warrior||Battle Cunning|
|11th||Warblade 9||+10||+9||+5||+3||Combat Reflexes|
|12th||Eternal Blade 1||+11||+11||+5||+3||Font of Inspiration||Blade Guide, Eternal Training 1/day|
|13th||Eternal Blade 2||+12||+12||+5||+3||Guided Strike|
|14th||Eternal Blade 3||+13||+12||+6||+4||Armored Uncanny Dodge, Eternal Training 2/day|
|15th||Eternal Blade 4||+14||+13||+6||+4||Robilar's Gambit||Eternal Knowledge|
|17th||Eternal Blade 5||+16||+13||+6||+4||Eternal Training 3/day|
|18th||Eternal Blade 6||+17||+14||+7||+5||Font of Inspiration||Defensive Insight|
|19th||Eternal Blade 7||+18||+14||+7||+5||Eternal Training 4/day|
|20th||Eternal Blade 8||+19||+15||+7||+5||Tactical Insight|
At level 20: Factotum 1 / Fighter 1 / Warblade 10 / Eternal Blade 8
Possible Homebrew Equipment
The equipment presented here is not needed for the build, but is a flavorful addition to bring the character closer to the concept.
- Similar to Link, this character is good at a great number of things. He can add his Factotum level to skills, giving him a wide array of options in almost any situation. With all the puzzles he needs to figure out, Link needs this high Intelligence, and this intelligence is channeled into the different abilities he gains. Finally, he gains a spiritual companion who can be as annoying or snarky as the player wishes, making for interesting roleplaying.
- At level 12, you gain a Blade Guide. (Navi or Midna, for example.)
- Int mod can be added to:
- Attack and damage twice (Eternal Training, Cunning Insight)
- Damage when flanking or catching foes Flat-footed (Battle Cunning)
- AC (Defensive Insight)
- Knowledge checks (Cunning Knowledge gives 1, Eternal Knowledge gives your Int mod + 9, and Collector of Stories another +5 for a total of Int x2 + ranks + 15, adds to attacks through Knowledge Devotion)
- Reflex Saves twice (Battle Clarity, Cunning Insight)
- Critical Confirmation rolls (Battle Ardor)
- Use Robilar's Gambit in combination with Stormguard Warrior to gain a bonus to attack and damage whenever an enemy attempts to attack you. (Capitalize on this with Power Attack.)
- Shore up that low Will save by picking up Moment of Perfect Mind.
- Access to level 9 maneuvers by level 18; Combat Rhythm + Time Stands Still + Raging Mongoose followed in the next round by Diamond Nightmare Blade can be very devestating.
- If using Flaws, pick up Font of Inspiration twice more.
- Usual melee counters (difficult terrain, illusions, AC, etc)
- The "ultimate combo" mentioned above requires a round to set up.
- Defenses apart from AC (illusions, concealment, etc)
- The last level of Warblade can be replaced by levels of Eternal Blade for another use of Eternal Training.
- Take Insightful Reflexes instead of one of the Fonts of Inspiration to add Intelligence once more to Reflex saves, replacing Dexterity.
- Switch the level of Fighter for another level of Factotum and take Weapon Focus instead of Font of Inspiration.
- If you're uncomfortable with the penalty to Constitution, become a Dragonborn (RotD).
- Switch a level of Warblade for Factotum to gain Cunning Defense (Intelligence to AC).
- Replace Font of Inspiration with Stand Still and get Thicket of Blades to lock foes next to you.
- Also consider getting Defensive Sweep (PHB2) to cause foes who are adjacent to you to take an AoO whether they move or not.
- If using Fractional BAB, replace the level of Fighter with a level of Swordsage and delay it until level 5 for level 2 maneuvers.
- UMD a wand/scroll of Aspect of the Wolf (Spell Compendium) to gain the wolf form in Twilight Princess.
|Article Balance||High +|
|Final Class Progression||Factotum 1 / Fighter 1 / Warblade 10 / Eternal Blade 8 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Optimized Character Build +|
|Race||Fire Elf +|
|Summary||The Hero of Time excels as an adventurer, insightful in his knowledge of both combat and puzzles. (Based loosely on Link from the Zelda series.) +|
|Title||Hero of Time +|