Hirudofolk (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Hirudofolk in their natural habitat.|
A strange variation of Merfolk. They seem to be based on leeches.
Small herds of these creatures live in freshwater environments, preying on the local ecosystem to survive. They are wary and untrusting of other races and cultures. They survive mainly on blood so they tend to feed off other creatures foolish enough to delve into the water.
Hirudofolk have basic anatomy similar to a mermaid. They are approximately 8 feet long. The long tail they posses is made up of dark strained skin like a leech's, with a large sucker at the bottom. The tail propels the body in a wormlike undulating manner, rather than a flipper motion. The upper body is that of a human female. Leeches are hermaphrodites, meaning they have both male and female genitalia, so there is no sexual diversity in the species. Some Hirudofolk may look more masculine or feminine but this is purely cosmetic. The inside of a Hirudofolk's mouth is lined with sharp teeth in a full circle. Their gumms are black containing a sealant chemical for latching onto prey to steal blood. Hirudofolk have black hair, and their eyes are completely grey. They hardly ever wear clothing, and tend to fashion spears from bones.
Hirudofolk see other races as prey, and other races see Hirudofolk as terrifying parasites. Very rarely do they venture out in parties as anything other than mercenaries looking for a meal.
Hirudofolk are almost always Chaotic, seeing as how they constantly feed on whatever will bleed. It's rare to find a good hearted Hirudofolk, but not impossible.
Hirudofolk tend to live in freshwater water bodies like lakes, but some variants live in saltwater, and some even live on land.
Hirudofolk don't tend to be religious creatures, however some worship gods associated with water. Some of the more Evil Hirudofolk worship Wee Jas.
Hirudofolk speak common and Aquan
Hirudofolk tend to have simple, tribalistic names that describe a trait they are born with.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Hirudofolk lack the grace and charm of typical Merfolk, and aren't the smartest race either.
- Humanoid (Aquatic)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a herudofolk has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Herudofolk base land speed is 5 feet. 50ft swim
- Latch (Ex): the Hirudofolk latch onto creatures and surfaces using using their mouth and tail. This happens with a successful grapple check. A Hirudofolk can use their bite attack against a creature's flat footed AC while latched. It takes a strength DC of 10+ the Hirudofolk's strength Modifier to unlatch them from a creature or surface.
- Leech bite (Ex): the Hirudofolk has a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage+ 1 point of con damage against anything that needs blood to survive. The Hirudofolk gains no immediate bonuses from drinking blood, however they need to consume blood as part of their diet to survive. This bite would not hurt for long as the fangs secrete an anesthetic for discretional purposes. A Hirudofolk needs to deal two points of con damage this way every day, or drink two quarts of blood per week, in order to survive.
- Amphibious: Hirudofolk can breathe both air and water, although they rarely travel more than a few feet from the water’s edge.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Aquan
- Bonus Languages: Giant, Elf, Goblin, Abyssal, Draconic, Sylvan
- Favored Class: Fighter or Barbarian
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|28 years||40 years||60 years||+74 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||N/A’ N/A”||+N/A||N/A lb.||× (N/A) lb.|
|Female||7’ 8”||+2d6||390 lb.||× (2d10) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Fighter + and Barbarian +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Constitution + and -2 Intelligence +|
|Summary||A strange variation of Merfolk. They seem to be based on leeches. +|