Inferus (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Faceless aberrations with a slightly protean anatomy.
Inferus are generally devoid of much in the way of a personality but can adjust their personality to fit situations as needed.
An inferus is almost without exception 100 pounds in weight and 6 feet tall with a very thin body entirely gray in color. Their most notable feature however is their ovular shaped head that is almost always devoid of any features except when speaking or eating (in which case it forms a mouth as necessary). To cover up their thin frame An inferus will typically wear clothing on all parts of their body and may wear a hood to conceal their face if they feel it might be disturbing to others. The one distinguishing feature between any given inferus is a set of patterns on their hands which is different for each one (shape altering abilities cannot replicate this set of patterns). An inferus does not physically change like most creatures and as such does not age past it's creation though it may heal injuries at a rate similar to most other living creatures (An inferus can't normally heal complete amputations for example just like most living creatures).
The aberrations known as inferus are generally the result of wizards creating intelligent servants with no cause to disobey them. In some cases a wizard dies or more likely has no further use for An inferus they disband them and wipe their memories if they would have sensitive information about the wizard and their experiments. Most of these instances die due to lack of nutrition, but a few become adventurers and manage to fend for themselves.
An inferus is typically regarded with apprehension by other races not used to the sight of aberrations if they do not take measures to at least conceal their skeletal frame and perhaps their head. Their adaptability however allows them to get along passably if this is not an obstacle.
An inferus may be of any alignment but tends towards neutrality on at least one axis.
An inferus is capable of living in many environments but tends to choose places where they don't seem out of place. Given their nature, An inferus is not likely to have any connection to any sort of culture.
An inferus may follow any particular religion or even more commonly no religion.
An inferus speaks common and may pick up additional languages if it travels or learns them from the surrounding area.
An inferus generally adopts a name from a language it knows and thus could have almost any name.
- +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: An inferus has a mind that is not bound by it's physical form but their lack of a significant personality and facial features diminishes their emotional presence.
- Aberration: An inferus is an aberration with a slightly humanoid anatomy.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an inferus has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- An inferus has a base land speed of 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A 60 can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a Inferus can function just fine with no light at all.
- Strange anatomy: An inferus gains a +4 bonus on fortitude saves against non-magical effects (such as poison or resisting fatigue) and has a 25% resistance to critical hits as the light fortification armor special ability. Heal checks made on An inferus by anyone who has not made at least a DC 10 knowledge (dungeoneering) check are at a -2 penalty.
- Unlike most aberrations An inferus does not gain any proficiencies from its type.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as druidic).
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|N/A years||N/A years||N/A years||+N/A years|
- An inferus does not physically change.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 0"||+0||100 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||6' 0"||+0||100 lb.||× (1) lb.|
- An inferus does not have a gender designation.
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Intelligence + and -2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Faceless aberrations with a slightly protean anatomy. +|